Adding color

I use chips, liquid, and blocks for dye, depending on what color I am going for. In my experience, the blocks are the most difficult to work with. I use the tiny grater from Bittercreek and weigh the shavings on a jewelers scale. That seems to work okay.

I'm phasing out blocks but still need to keep some because I don't want to blend two colors together to achieve the color I want with liquid dye. I'm an eyeballer myself..I pour some of the colored melted wax into a styrofoam cup...now..I only use the styrofoam right now cuz I bought like 500 from sam's club and I swear to Al Gore these will be the last I ever purchase..but I pour it into the cup and just wait..then I start tweaking if I need to. One thing you have to be with candlemaking is flexible..it's always evolving with newer types of wicks and colorants, waxes, etc. I had it all down to a science and then my wax supplier went out of business so it was back to square one...such is life I guess.

To get to your question and not the preference of others, add a little bit at a time. I cut out small rectangles, basically scoring the block down the middle and then across for guidelines. Depends on my batch, but I generally start with one of those chunks on a four-pound batch.

Definitely check the color out before pouring. I had some pumpkin spice colored blocks that weren't a pumpkin color and they weren't remotely close. Couldn't do anything about it 2 years after buying them.

A lot of people just shave off pieces of color block and eyeball it, but if you want consistency the best technique is to weigh it and adjust according to the size of your batch. For small batches and/or light colors you need a good scale.

As Top said or you can use liquid and measure by drops