Making Soap VS Making Candles

Snapdragon2

I've been making candles for almost 8 years now, but have never tried to make soap. I've read recipes and instructions, but it sounds like it's so much more difficult than candle making. What do you guys think? You make it look easy with your beautiful creations, but is it as difficult as I think it will be?

I make both. Both are easy to follow the recipe and both are hard to perfect.

It's like sewing and baking. I can follow a recipe/pattern for both but they won't be perfect when I'm done. Neither are hard to do but both require practice to get a good looking/safe outcome.

I've been making candles for almost 8 years now, but have never tried to make soap. I've read recipes and instructions, but it sounds like it's so much more difficult than candle making. What do you guys think? You make it look easy with your beautiful creations, but is it as difficult as I think it will be?

I am in almost the same boat as you are. I feel that I am pretty confident in my candlemaking, and would like to try soap now. I think back to when it took me almost 5 hours to make 20 candles and all the testing and trial and errors with that. It was a process, but got through it. Now I see all the beautiful soaps that these talented folks here make and I am inspired. They all had to start somewhere too. Kudos to all you soap makers here. You truly are artists.

I too started with candles and then emerged into soap and other personal products. I love it. At first I was so scared. Now, with the proper precautions, I have a wonderful time. It has taken me about a year to finally decide what I like to do. I tried M&P (hated that), then tried making re-batched soap (liked that so-so) and now have settled on making small batches with different scents and herbs and botanicals. Just finished another batch yesterday for my daughter that is pure olive oil with chamomile infused water (and lye, of course!) and just a tiny little bit of tumeric. She loves it!

I have not made any candles for about six months, but I am going to do some for Thanksgiving tomorrow.

Just have patience. It's all good!:grin2:

I usually make pillar candles

I started making CP soap in about april and I have to say I like making soap more in some ways.

The big thing is you spend a little time(less then an hour, and off and on in that hour) making a batch of soap but you get like 16 bars to sell. But each pillar candle can take hours depending on the design and layers you are doing.

and once you try making CP soap you tend to become addicted to making it so watch out :)

soap is easy

candles are, apparently, impossible! LOL.

both are addictive.

I had the opposite experience:laugh2:

I took to candles immediately. I had very few flops, and it was like I was meant to make candles.

Soap.. I thought would be easier. I am a chef for goodness sake I am used to doing things by weight and things formulary, its chemistry too, my best subject!

Soap was way tougher for me.

I've been thinking about the same thing, I'm getting a little bored with candles, after all...how much testing can you do before you're bored...same thing...different scent! I think soap would be more expensive because wax you just remelt, reformulate and repour will very little loss...Soap batches on the other hand??? Can you start over with the same batch? I think I'm going to start simple with like bath bombs and bath melts, small batches and try them out.

From reading the posts on here, I think candles would be way harder than soap. All the wax and wick testing and test burning...I don't too often ruin a batch of soap, and if I do I just shed it and make another soap. The hardest part of soap making is treating your lye with respect.