Fund Raiser Hell!!!!

Kimberly

• 4 weeks later...

I am at the point where I have 14 surf & Turks.... but still only average 800 candles a week.... need to find the right help....

Ran a ad got a response of about 150 people....... Could only pick 3 I could work with:embarasse Got some real whack jobs apply........

An advice???

I am at the point where I have 14 surf & Turks.... but still only average 800 candles a week.... need to find the right help....

Ran a ad got a response of about 150 people....... Could only pick 3 I could work with:embarasse Got some real whack jobs apply........

An advice???

Yikes. S-I-M-P-L-I-F-Y. Honestly, it works in mass production.

Two of us could easily make 600 candles in two days, go out for breakfast and dinner, surf the web and still have time to spare. This includes all the work, wicking, warning labels, product label and re-boxing into the original glass boxes. You need to batch your candles by the case pack. It works, it is very simple and easy to do.

I'll give you an example of the 9 oz hex jar.

You are going to pour a case, no matter what. It takes just as much time to pour one candle as it does a case of 12. Maybe a difference of two minutes tops on the time. Time is MONEY. Cut the labor expense. It makes a huge difference in the bottom line. The only scents I don't constantly pour by the case are holiday scents. I determine how many I am going to make, when I sell out, I am done. I've been closing for holiday orders earlier every year, especially Christmas. It isn't worth the hassle, IMO. Plus I give deals on cases to my regular customers that order early in bulk every year.

So, back to case batching. You take the Surf n' Turk and fill it up. It is even quicker to keep this thing full if you cut the wax slabs beforehand and store in large totes close to the pot. If you use flake form, you're golden.

Let it do it's thing. In the meantime, you set out your glassware. We usually pre-wick and slap the warning labels on before the glass hits the pouring table. It saves time. But if not, do the label on the bottom and get the wicks set. Now, you place them in long row- not touching, air needs to get in between. We do two cases per row, so basically two cases get done at once and sometimes we use both sides of the table, so four get done.

One case of 9 oz hex or square mason jars is 5 lbs of wax and 5 oz of scent. Those big pouring pots from Bittercreek hold this easily, fill to the second from the top line and you don't have to weight it every time you fill up. One big pot equals one case of candles. Add the scent, mix and pour. I usually pour half into a smaller pour pot as this can get heavy in a short time and those spouts are not very accurate. Then, you push the first line forward and repeat. Depending on what wax you use, it is easiest for us to take the candle once it is almost set, but still warm and center the wick. Then put them back into the original glass box and blast them real quick with the heat gun. That way, you have empty space for pouring. If you fill up the table with poured candles, you will have to stop and clear off the table for more room and then setting the wicks once the candle is completely solid is more difficult. After they cool a bit more, clip the wick with a dollar store toe nail clipper [best wick clipper, ever] we put lids on them and stack the boxes in another room. That way, you've got plenty of workspace. All they need now is product labels and they are completed.

Keep the Surk n' Turk close to the pouring table- and then a smaller counter area for mixing the pots with scent/color. It is super easy to do it this way. We only used one Surf n' Turk for the big fundraiser and we each have two. Fourteen of them using this method would pump out thousands and thousands of candles per day, easily- with the right helpers.

Hey, ladies, where are the pics you promised? Have you finished? Our big fundraiser came in at $13,250. (gross) down a little from last year. It was 600 tureens, 800 tins and 300 clams. We just finished packing it & will deliver to DFW tomorrow. One down, two to go.

I poured over 300 tureens and 300 tins Monday & Tuesday. Poured clams Wed & did the labeling Thursday. It took us all day to pack the candles by order. I'm exhausted, but it's done! :yay: :yay: Carole

By the way, MA, you're right in your tips. Organization makes it go faster!

• 2 months later...

I run Fortuna Candles, it has gotten 2 newspaper front page stories and another non-front page article the last few days. Fortuna Candles is disability to work candle making. I would very much like to know how you approached these schools so that I can put some of my employees to work in my area doing fundraiser candles locally here!