IN YOUR Opinion What is Power Burning a candle???

I powerburn from time I get up till I go to bed.. usually from 6am till midnight.. that gives general idea of good burn time for the ones I do for people like me that loves to have one burn all the time... :) but I watch it very close and it is usually a bigger jar that I do that too!

Burning the same candle all day non-stop

Or for 5+ hours at a time.

That's pretty close, although burning a 6" pillar for 5 hours wouldn't be necessarily power-burning...

To me, it means continuous or prolonged burning (for the size candle) without benefit of wick trimming, turning, worrying about drafts, etc. In short, the "light it and forget it" school of thought, which is the same way many thought-free customers choose to burn candles. :)

I do not use powerburning techniques for every test candle - only for different wick, candle and container sizes/shapes.

That's pretty close, although burning a 6" pillar for 5 hours wouldn't be necessarily power-burning...

To me, it means continuous or prolonged burning (for the size candle) without benefit of wick trimming, turning, worrying about drafts, etc. In short, the "light it and forget it" school of thought, which is the same way many thought-free customers choose to burn candles. :)

I do not use powerburning techniques for every test candle - only for different wick, candle and container sizes/shapes.

Yeah true about the pillars, I should have added that I haven't power burned anything larger than 8oz, so with 8oz or less containers, I have burned them from early am till very late at night. I dont power burn every time I test either as someone mentioned, usually just when testing new container/wick combos.

Well, if the wick goes out or gets so big that it catches the cat on fire, those are bad signs... :confused:

Seriously, I look for different things with different candles. If using containers, how hot does the container become?

If a pillar, does it blow out? Does it tunnel?

You know - one looks for the stuff that makes for a well burning candle that, even when burned by an idiot, will still perform relatively well and most importantly - SAFELY!

Guest Candelishis
I agree with your intupreterpitation.

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

I don't think anyone else caught that, but just wanted to let you know that I appreciated it....LMAO!!!!!

Well, if the wick goes out or gets so big that it catches the cat on fire, those are bad signs... :confused:

Seriously, I look for different things with different candles. If using containers, how hot does the container become?

If a pillar, does it blow out? Does it tunnel?

You know - one looks for the stuff that makes for a well burning candle that, even when burned by an idiot, will still perform relatively well and most importantly - SAFELY!

THe reason I ask...I do container candles and power burn all the time. and sometimes my melt pool gets to be 3/4-1 inch deep. but I have found to use a smaller wick doesn't get a full melt pool in a couple hours. Should I be more concerned with my deep power burning melt pool?

I do container candles and power burn all the time. and sometimes my melt pool gets to be 3/4-1 inch deep. but I have found to use a smaller wick doesn't get a full melt pool in a couple hours.

Cherish, despite all the funning around, you DO have a question here...:rolleyes2

A full melt pool is not something to be rushed into. How wide are your containers? General rule of thumb for paraffin is about an hour per inch of diameter. A 1 inch deep melt pool is not desirable nor particularly safe, depending on the size of the jar. On a smaller diameter jar, that's way too deep; on a wider diameter, larger container, it might not be as bad. You have not provided enough information for us help much - what kind of wax are you using, what is the diameter & height of the containers, what additives, what FOs and what wicks? Perhaps you would get more response if you started a thread about your candles with all the pertinent info so folks could help more... HTH :)

In all the power burns I have done to date none of my cats has caught fire or exploded.

Thank GOD! Flaming cats are the WORST!

BTW, not sure if it really matters but I personally burn the candle twice as long as "recommended".

If it's 3 inches wide - 6 hours.

4 inches wide - I try to go for 8.

That's just me though, and I'm probably crazy.

Thank GOD! Flaming cats are the WORST!

A REAL challenge for Odor Eliminator candles!!!:P

We haven't any of our cats go "woof" yet, but there have been a couple of minor singeings when one of them lost its feeble cat mind for a moment!:shocked2: They are so unpredictable about suddenly deciding to wander too close to a container, jump on a shelf or table, etc. :rolleyes2

It's a good idea and loads of fun to keep a water pistol at one's fingertips when burning candles with cats around...:naughty:

Guest Candelishis
A REAL challenge for Odor Eliminator candles!!!:P

We haven't any of our cats go "woof" yet, but there have been a couple of minor singeings when one of them lost its feeble cat mind for a moment!:shocked2: They are so unpredictable about suddenly deciding to wander too close to a container, jump on a shelf or table, etc. :rolleyes2

It's a good idea and loads of fun to keep a water pistol at one's fingertips when burning candles with cats around...:naughty:

My Shroostie (yes...my hubby named the cat...he's weird...) had her tail go "whoosh" once after jumping on the coffee table. She hasn't jumped onto ANY tables since then, and recovered just fine! :P

P.S.....flaming cat hair smells really really funky.....

I've always been a serious power burner & continue to do it ... in the name of testing! I've burned several containers from top to bottom w/o interruption. I'd have to dig out notes, but I think I've gone as long as 27hrs straight. I put the container in the bathtub when I go to bed. I think it's wonderful to think everyone will read labels & follow the laws of good common sense, but I'd rather test everything (especially containers) beyond suggested limits. In 6yrs the only container I've ever cracked was a very thick globe that had been refilled many times.

Susan.