wicking tip

I have read many threads on wicking and the best tip was to cut a card board circle of the bottom of the jar and mark the center, I then put my wick on the center mark and draw around it

Then i needed a way to make sure I was positioning the cardboard circle evenly every time under the jar

here is my tip

I made a mold of the bottom of the jar with tin foil, just wrappped it around the bottom of the jar to form a sort of cup -then insert the card board circle with the wick center circle drawn on it

All i do is set each jar inside this tinfoil mold and then using a straw to hold my wick, place it on top of my drawing that I can see through the jar bottom.

Hope this is helpful !:yay:

• 3 months later...
I have read many threads on wicking and the best tip was to cut a card board circle of the bottom of the jar and mark the center, I then put my wick on the center mark and draw around it

Then i needed a way to make sure I was positioning the cardboard circle evenly every time under the jar

here is my tip

I made a mold of the bottom of the jar with tin foil, just wrappped it around the bottom of the jar to form a sort of cup -then insert the card board circle with the wick center circle drawn on it

All i do is set each jar inside this tinfoil mold and then using a straw to hold my wick, place it on top of my drawing that I can see through the jar bottom.

Hope this is helpful !:yay:

What a great idea, so simple & handy!

Kathy

• 4 weeks later...

I use a template also, but since I have been doing construction around here I have a lot of styrofoam insulation. I took one piece, traced my jars on it and cut out the circles, then placed a paper template behind it with my wick drawing centered on it, then backed that up with another piece of foam. The entire thing is only 1 inch deep.

So when I am ready to wick, I just put the jars in the "slots" and wick away!!

I use the "tube" of a bic pen to press my wicks down. It is nice and sturdy and easy to store in my wicking drawer.

Danielle

Guest Candelishis
I use a template also, but since I have been doing construction around here I have a lot of styrofoam insulation. I took one piece, traced my jars on it and cut out the circles, then placed a paper template behind it with my wick drawing centered on it, then backed that up with another piece of foam. The entire thing is only 1 inch deep.

So when I am ready to wick, I just put the jars in the "slots" and wick away!!

I use the "tube" of a bic pen to press my wicks down. It is nice and sturdy and easy to store in my wicking drawer.

Danielle

Also a good idea Danielle! I'm gonna try it.

I too love the bic pens. However, I somehow lose mine all the time. So I bought a bag of plastic straws from the dollar store, I think there was 100 in the bag, for a buck. They work just as well, and if I lose one or inadvertently throw one away, no biggie.

FF, that is a GREAT idea!!

I abandoned (for the most part) my "laminated bullseye template" when I discovered that the cardboard containers in which my containers are shipped have impressions from the jars in them. I found the center of one in a corner of the box and traced my wick tab around it and have been RIPPIN' through wicking since then! Having even two sides to "hold" the container is a GREAT improvement over having to eyeball and "free-align."

NOW I am headed out the door to find some styrofoam! THANKS for the great tip! :yay:

Another good way to make a mold of the jar bottom is to use some kind of material like children's molding clay. You can get it and any dollar store. Then put your template in the mold. Then if you don't need it anymore, you ball it up an make another size.I use the popsicle stick with a hole drilled in it to centre my wick at the top. An to keep the stick from moving off centre, I put a little dab of molding material on each sides of the rim, press down, use a clothes pin to keep the wick taut.