Salt Bar Do Over and "Goats in the Garden"

GrandmaArial

In the first picture is the salt bar I made last month is on the left and the ones I made today on the right. The new bar is MUCH prettier! Together you can see how rough the old bar is, and how dirty looking. In the salt the kelp turned light in some areas after about 3 weeks, so I expect the new bar will have the same happen. That’s ok, I think it will still be pretty. The new bars have only been sliced and trimmed, not cleaned up yet.

Next is “Goats in the Garden”. I had the goat’s milk for a week trying to figure out what to do with it. I was out in the herb garden weeding and had picked a tranquility bouquet (sage, rosemary, parsley, lemon balm, and wild mint) when I heard my Mother’s voice say “goat’s in the garden”, something she would yell when the neighbors pygmy goat would visit and munch her garden. So, of course, the bouquet went in the soap and it was named. If you look closely you can see along the edges where it didn’t finish gelling properly around the corners. For all the fits it gave me I like it. It smells wonderful, and so soft on the skin. I am beginning to understand why so many of you love milk soaps.

post-7822-13945843502_thumb.jpg

post-7822-139458435024_thumb.jpg

Great Do-Over on those salt bars! I see the difference now. LOL Have you tried this one yet? These look WAYYYYYY better than my first attempt at Salt Bars! At least yours won't color your bathwater turquoise. :embarasse lmao

And "Goat's in the Garden".... I LOVE the name! I bet these are gonna be sooooo creamy and nice. If this one is anything like your Jade bar.... it's gonna be sensational!!!

And I noticed :wink2: ... you NEVER have ash. NEVER. :D

Love Love Love both of them!! :thumbsup:

Great Do-Over on those salt bars! I see the difference now. LOL Have you tried this one yet? These look WAYYYYYY better than my first attempt at Salt Bars! At least yours won't color your bathwater turquoise. :embarasse lmao

And "Goat's in the Garden".... I LOVE the name! I bet these are gonna be sooooo creamy and nice. If this one is anything like your Jade bar.... it's gonna be sensational!!!

And I noticed :wink2: ... you NEVER have ash. NEVER. :D

Love Love Love both of them!! :thumbsup:

See! I TOLD you those first ones were ugly! LMAO! No, haven’t tried the new bars… I only poured them about 8 hours ago, so I figure… at least a week? LOL.

As for your turquoise water… I rather enjoyed it after I got over my surprise. I pretended I was soaking in a blue lagoon in the Bahamas.

And, yes I have had ash. The seaside soap… I peeked and let in cold air and CO2… I’m learning self control, it’s not easy… but I’m learning.

Thank you Meridith. I always feel like you’re teasing me a bit when you say that, when one of my goals is to make swirls like yours. Well, my salt bar may not be as pretty as yours but at least it has a similar smooth texture like yours. I’ll be happy with that!

Quiet girl, have you read this thread? http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59497 . Scroll down to Crafty’s and MarieJeanette’s posts for some really good advice. And be prepared for the smell so you don’t panic. This batch gave me fits all around. I put it in the refrigerator and it still started to gel… so I stuck it in the oven and it stopped gelling. My next attempt with milk I’m going to freeze the mold a few hours before I start and pack it with ice packs after I pour. I’m hoping that will keep it cool enough so I can get the lovely creamy color. I thought of putting it in the freezer but our freezer freezes a 3 lb roast solid in 2 hours. I’m afraid it will freeze the soap and it won’t Saponify properly. Either that or it will get so hot it thaws the food in there, LOL.

Thank you everyone for your kind words…

I had the pleasure of sampling a few of her soaps tonight.

Her salt bar... puts mine to shame. In all the salt bars I've used and encountered, I have NEVER had a lather this creamy and full. I am amazed.

See! I TOLD you those first ones were ugly! LMAO! No, haven’t tried the new bars… I only poured them about 8 hours ago, so I figure… at least a week? LOL.

As for your turquoise water… I rather enjoyed it after I got over my surprise. I pretended I was soaking in a blue lagoon in the Bahamas.

And, yes I have had ash. The seaside soap… I peeked and let in cold air and CO2… I’m learning self control, it’s not easy… but I’m learning.

I don't think they're ugly at all. I love the Prim look. I like both :).

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you Meridith. I always feel like you’re teasing me a bit when you say that, when one of my goals is to make swirls like yours. Well, my salt bar may not be as pretty as yours but at least it has a similar smooth texture like yours. I’ll be happy with that!

Oh my goodness no I am not teasing you. Seriously, you make such nice looking soaps. I have loved looking at everyone of them. I think you are a natural. :)