Sorry.. but another Hot Throw question

I searched the forum and didn't see this specifically addressed anywhere...

I have been adding my FO in CB135 at about 180 degrees and certainly getting some hot throw.. but of course would always like better.

When I pour my FO in to the 180 degree wax, it is always at room temperature, and the temp of the combined wax and fo drops to about 150 rapidly. Might this be affecting hot throw because fo isn't binding fast enough?

Does anyone use a candle warmer or some other device to heat FO up before adding to soy wax?

Has anyone noticed a difference in hot throw by doing this?

TIA

I think this is interesting I usually heat in my presto to 175 or 180, pour into a warm pouring pitcher that already has my dye chip in bottom pour in FO and stir 2 min and pour into my heated jar. I think I have good hot throw but I really have nothing to compare it to.

Natalie

We must all be on the same wavelength today...as I was pouring my fo in this morning, I noticed that the bottle actually felt cool to the touch, probably because it's been getting cooler at night here. I took the temp right after adding the fo and the temp dropped 30 degrees! I've never even checked it before until I was close to pouring time, so I'm sure this has happened before in the cooler weather. I've been doing this for several winters/summers now and I really don't see any difference in the CT or HT between summer and winter, so I don't think it should affect it. All the talk about fo not binding lately is what got me to check the temp this morning! I think if it's working for us, we shouldn't try to "fix" it!

I melt the soy and USA in the presto at just under 200 degrees...around 180 I suppose. I also melt the diamond color chip at the same time. When it's all melted, I turn off the heat, put in the FO which I measure with a shot glass from JBN at 1fl.oz./lb. I stir it all very well again. Then I dump it all into my pouring pot and pour into the containers. Some fragrances are naturally stronger than others, but they all throw. I've been adding coconut oil at 2tsp/lb, but haven't noticed much difference with the throw just yet.

I don't heat my FO up at all. Here is what I do. I always keep my pouring pots in the oven, on a newspaper lined cookie sheet with the oven on warm/lowest setting. This way they are always warm and don't lose heat when the wax and FO are added. Once I pour, I put the pot back in the oven, upside down, to allow the excess wax/FO to drain off while I am pouring other batches. When I am ready, I then I wipe it out and go on to the next batch.

ETA - I have found keeping my wax temp up when adding the FO does help it blend in and bind with the wax better. It also helps to blend keeps the wax warm enough to help those really hard to blend FOs blend in and not seep.

I also heat the wax to 180 and toss in the FO. Yes, the mix then drops to 140 or 150 degrees. Every time I get a new FO I do a test batch - in a smaller see-through container and watch the swirling oil disappear as it integrates with the wax.

I have the A/C here set on 77 so that is the temp of the oil I would imagine. No problems noted with oils from a variety of suppliers. I also use CB-135!

HTH

I am testing this theory out right now. Haven't had a chance to test hot throw but I noticed this....

Normally I'm making one or two candles because I'm still in testing mode (a year later, lol). Always with cauliflower tops that require a heat gun. Tops on a small batch are always uglier than a large batch which I have attributed to a faster cool, just because of volume of wax.

I've been heating up the oil and noticed the tops are smoother. Just coincidence? maybe, but I'm liking what I see sort far.

This had never dawned on me until today, I always added my fragrance in on pour out of my mixing cup, tonight I poured it in slowly to temper the oil resulting in less of a temp drop from all of it at once. I poured a sure fire hit Hansel and Gretel from CS I forgot how buttery it smells.

Lovin CS,

Natalie:rolleyes2

Since I like to weigh my pouring pitchers as I 'put it all together', I usually add dye and FO to the pithcer, and then add wax to the proper weight, trying to pour the wax in as close to the center of the pitcher as possible, by means of a separate pitcher. Slowly adding wax to the fragrance, instead of fragrance to the wax, doesn't shock the temp much at all, and the fragrance won;t settle to the bottom. Try it, you'll like it!

I take my wax from my presto pot and put it into my pouring pitcher and place it on my stovetop burner (on warm setting only). I put in my color and my fo and stir until my temp. builds back up to where it should bind together really good then pour into my container.....so far that has worked really well.... and no fires :) (yet!)

Mike

P.S.

I use an infrared temp. gun and it works really good for this.

Mike

has anyone ever done a scent throw comparison of whether it works better to add the FO at a higher or lower temp

Not to my knowledge. Many recommendations are based on paraffin usage. Suppliers have scrambled to reformulate their FOs to work better with veggie waxes. I do not know which witch is which, so I looked at it this way: I have to take the temp up to melt the wax anyway. So, I reasoned that if I add the FO somewhere between 170° - 150°, it oughta have plenty of time to bind with the wax while I temper the mixture before pouring. I have never noticed that any of the FOs are diminished by adding at a higher temp, so, since I have nothing to lose by doing so, I chose to start adding at a higher temp. Seems to work out just fine and eliminates the argument that the FO didn't have a chance to "bind" to the wax/oils if I experience difficulties.

Just my convoluted way of thinking - nothing particularly scientific about it, especially with a dearth of hard facts (ingredient list, etc.) with which to set up an experiment. I split the difference among all the advice I had read. :)

I bought one of those electric griddles at Walmart and warm my pouring pots on it. I also leave the pot on the griddle when I am pouring in my FO to mix in. I always monitor the temp while I am doing this cause I had the same concerns. This method works great for me as the griddle keeps the pot warm while I am stirring in and blending the fragrance. Once I am finished I put the pour pot on a hot pad holder to cool down gradually.

That griddle has all kinds of uses. It also keeps blended wax warm for whenever I have do repours. It also heats used pour pots to liquify leftover wax in the pot making it easier to wipe out with a paper towel. It also cools down fast and is easy to store away.

The griddle was under $20. Its as useful to me as my heat gun. Wouldn't make candles without it.

I add my fo to the wax at 180, but I don't pull the temp down till I've stirred for a full 3 mins. I think most people miss the hot throw by adding fo at lower temps or not stirring long enough to fully incorporate the fo. Also, I've used UA for yrs to help bind the oil to the wax. Don't be afraid to test additives. I've used various combo's of beeswax, PSA, UA & CO. Keep in mind, you may have an fo that just won't work w/ soy.

Susan.