Henry...check out these mottles

Donita

I just looked at them and I didn't even "dust" them off....in a hurry. Am working on a large order, regular stuff and this contest. All I know is that I have made some really ugly ones experimenting. Everything works in a 3 x 4 mold, but the layers are giving me trouble. The very first one I did came out ok.....so I am trying to reproduce it.....hehehe... The candle on the left is 4045H and the one on the right is 4045EP. Donita

Fantastic candles of course, but still not what I'm looking for. I'll try to post a pic sometime after the big contest :)

Basically - take the one on the right and invert the mottling. The whole layer is thick mottling, but the mottling IS NOT white at any point. Its a lighter color of the wax itself - then it breaks at a point or two into the same color of wax but clear and darker. Its like looking into a hole into a candle - kinda bizarre looking IMO first hand.

These are more of the candles, but unfortunately not great examples of what I want, but you can see that the mottling here is different. Its not "snowflake" type. If you look at the pink one on the lower right - you can see what I'm talking about, kinda, - you can see a break in the top and on the front side in the top layer. Also, in the bottom layer of the tall pillar - but in many of them the "break" between the mottling and the non-mottled wax is even more apparent.

http://www.kandlekitchen.com/images/Wicks%20N'%20More.JPG

Its not "snowflake" type.

You know what Henry, I think I know exactly what you're after.....

It's that mottled look, without the very apparent white snowflaking that you get with most mottled candles. It's more like the look when you add cream to coffee, but forget to stir..... Am I right??? This is a look I would also like to be able to do. Not as pronounced as mottling, but a more subtle "unmixed" look!?!?

Yes. EXACTLY. Good description. I think at one point I did descirbe it as an "oil in water" look.

I'm interested in seeing what Jen (Jokerjen) did. I'm kind of imagining those pink ones she posted in the gallery - but only darker and individually in layers. The only problem is, the secondary color goes to white. What I'm really interested is actually a clear "break" in the mottling. Naturally, the #2 one in the contest (middle layer) are perfect, but unless the person posts how they do it, forget that too and currently it doesn't look like thats going to happen per the poll.

I've been going over the IGI paper on mottling with a fine-tooth comb and in a couple parts it almost seems to contradict itself but I could be reading it wrong.

It really is THE one type of paraffin candle I'd like to make for myself, but if no one posts how they do it, because of the expense I've already gone through, I'll just have to forget it.

Thanks for commiserating.

I'm definitely with you on this one! Although the snowflake mottling is attractive, and has it's place, I too would like to make a candle that has that very subtle effect, unfortunately - up until now - I've had no luck..... If I get it right, you will be the first to know!