I can't make candles!

I just had surgery.......gallbladder removed.....and now I can't make candles. I can't lift the big block of wax:sad2:

I'm going stir crazy.

I am even a bit wary of lifting a 10 lb slab........so no tarts either.

I'll tell you-it really relaxes me when I'm in pouring. This is such a bummer.

Eve

Guest Candelishis

EEK!!! Don't tell me that!!! I'm having mine out the 27th, and I have a craft festival the 6-7th of Oct :o Hubby will help me unload all my stuff, but I hope that I can handle being there all day and not being able to relax. How are you feeling, other than not being able to lift??? I'm scared to death, I've never had surgery!!!

Eve, Please don't be tempted just yet, let your body heal otherwise you'll end up hurting yourself even more. I know how frustrating it is tho. Can someone break the 10lb slab up for you & put it on your work bench ? Then you could do a little pouring.

Candelish, take it very easy if you do that festival. Being on your feet for so long soon after surgery really isn't a good idea so take a comfy chair with you & use it. Your recovery is important!

BTW surgery isn't that bad just as long as you allow yourself to recover fully before getting stuck in to the work again.

Take care ladies & I hope you both make excellent recoveries.

Sally.

having my gallbladder out was the best thing i ever did...but then i was in liver failure because of it, so having it removed was not optional!

it does hurt like hell. a LOT. and it will continue to twinge for a year or so afterwards - but it's nothing like the pain of gallstones, so keep your chin up - the joy you'll feel at not having that gnawing pain under your ribs is well worth it!

having my gallbladder out was the best thing i ever did...but then i was in liver failure because of it, so having it removed was not optional!

it does hurt like hell. a LOT. and it will continue to twinge for a year or so afterwards - but it's nothing like the pain of gallstones, so keep your chin up - the joy you'll feel at not having that gnawing pain under your ribs is well worth it!

I just want to point out that she will not necessarily have pain for a year or so afterwards - I felt completely healed within two-three months. Take it easy for a few weeks, for sure. Don't get too stressed over it if you can help it. Good luck :)

Ets: I didn't have too much pain even right after surgery, of course I was taking the pain meds religiously - hopefully your experience will be similar.

I had twinges in there for quite sometime afterwards. Just make sure you have some backup at your show, I had an upset tummy it seemed for several months after surgery. My doctor said it was just until my body adjusted to not having the gallbladder--which it does nicely after a while. I still have problems eating high fat foods so I avoid them and then when I cheat I know I pay the price :D

Haven't had that surgery but I have had surgery before and recovery is always harder to get thru than the surgery itself. You have to take it easy and let your body heal. I am surprised you have a show scheduled so soon after. But take everyones advice and have some help on hand and take it easy. Good luck!

Well I had the gallbladder operation where they make three wholes plus a liver biopsy at the same time. And I felt like crap for weeks. Lots of pain... I had lots of tiny gallstones but never had any trouble. But they took it out cause my liver enzymes were bad. Turns out I have auto immune hepatitis, my immune system was attacking my liver. Maybe that's why I was so sick. Before I was so tired and still get that way. Have to sleep a couple of days then I'm ok for awhile. Take it easy...

Funny thing is, that's when I started reading and trying to make soap and that lead to candle making.

Guest Candelishis

Yeah...I'm in a similar situation...I am having major liver issues and my liver is attacking the rest of my body right now. So I think that recovering from surgery will be about like the last 2 months of soreness, fatigue, and general ickiness that I've "gotten used to" - at the age of 26.... I just have this totally irrational fear of anesthesia. I'm a paramedic, that's why I say "irrational"...I know I'll be fine, but I think I'm a control freak and I don't like the thought of people performing medical procedures on me when I'm out freaks me out.

My mother has offered to help me with that craft show, and since I am having so many problems now with my liver and all the other CRAZY symptoms (I'm a mess-my skin is peeling really bad, my eyes are bloodshot, I am all itchy from jaundice), that I will probably have a pretty rough recovery. And they don't think mine will be a laproscopic procedure. They're going to try, but most likely I will have a big incision. So my mom will probably be running my booth for me. But I'm going to be optimistic!!!! I'm rooting for the 4 little holes instead of the big cut. So wish me luck, and when you say your prayers at nite, throw one in there for me!!!

well If I lived closer to you all i would definately chop you up some wax so you could get that "candle therapy" goin on! lol.. I have to have it.. I am an ADDICT.. I admit it.. I am PROUD of it~HAHAHAHAHA

Best wishes to you all.. I had the surgery done when I was 21 yr old.. and best advice I can tell you :

DO NOT EAT LEAF LETTUCE or if you do.. STAY CLOSE TO A BATHROOM!!!! (with in 30 -45min YOU will need one!) LOL

I will keep you in my prayers for a speedy recovery!!

~Jenni~

Guest Candelishis

Yeah, I've heard the lettuce advice...I've been eating all the fried stuff I like this week because I know I won't be able to handle that for a while. Not being able to eat lettuce sucks!!! I love salads...oh well. I guess it will be chicken noodle soup and turkey sandwiches for a while. Or eggs. I like eggs and I haven't heard anything bad about them yet!

You can eat lettuce.. has to be SHREADED lettuce! it doesnt have the harsh digestion problem that the leaf lettuce does.. dont know why.. but it is just easier to "process" i guess~lol.. I still eat fried foods.. just have to limit the intake on them.. lol~ you learn what you can and cant handle .. its like everything else.. personal option cuz everyone is different~

Jenni~

thanks for all the great tips/advice...i am feeling better already....i'm itchy as heck...which is a good sign...I am looking longingly at my fragrance oils....soon.

I've got a few candles burning right now....

AH Interlude in the bedroom

FOH Autumn Harvest in the livingroom

both are soothing the savage beast

Eve

I just wanted to say I had this surgery on Friday of last week, the 14th, and today is the first day I have felt really good. I barely got out of bed until Monday, then took it very slow and easy. Today I am much better. I havent ventured to the candle room yet because I cant lift the wax for one and bending over alot is not comfy either, but I figure maybe by Saturday I can with some assistance. As a mom of 6 children taking it easy was difficult for me, but I just keep telling myself if I overdue it and rip these incisions open I will be sorry. As for the food issues the hospital served me chicken fried steak immediately after surgery and I tolerated it ok. The first few days I had no appetite but since then I havent had a problem with anything yet. I too though have heard the lettuce advice and another friend still has to be close to a restroom if she eats fatty foods (had hers out 4mos ago) but I figure nothing can compare to the pain of the gallstones. Good luck on your upcoming surgery I had mine at 7am and was home by 3:30pm. Eve I feel your pain!

Shari

I had surgery in June and had been told in advance that I couldn't lift more than 10 pounds for 2 weeks, so I cut up a whole 50-lb box of wax into chunks that fit into my Presto Pot. Was able to pour a few days after the surgery since the wax was waiting for me! Best of luck with your procedure.

Jane

I can sympathize with you completely! No surgery here (yet), but my right arm has been out of commission for nearly 3 months now. I rarely even come in here much because it makes me want to pour and I can't even lift a can of Pepsi, very frustrating :mad:

Hope you get to start back up soon! :)

Guest Candelishis

I had my gallbladder surgery yesterday. I was there for about 12 hours. DH said the actual surgery took 38 minutes, and I was under for 2 hours. I feel surprisingly well. Really sore, and woozy from the Percocet they gave me, but I'm cutting that back to one just as I need it instead of 2 every 4 hours, so I will be a little more coherent :). At the hospital they made me eat dinner before I could leave, and I had a few bites of turkey with gravy, a couple bites of some cornbread stuffing, and a piece of cheesecake, and had no problems. Since I've been home I've had a bowl of oatmeal and a banana. No nausea at all! I was soooooo scared, and it's turned out absolutely fine. I don't think I'll be ready to go back to work Monday, but maybe 1/2 day Wednesday or so. Thanks for all the kind advice and well-wishes!!