pillar mold leaking

I'm trying to make a large pillar, 6 X 9, and the mold keeps leaking where I've put the mold sealer (around my wicks). I've tried plumber's putty, too. Is there a trick? Do I have to let the sealer/putty harden for a while before I pour? I'm not pouring hot, around 150, so it can't be leaking because it's too hot. I've only made a few smaller pillars before and have never had any leakage. Also, this is my first time using a metal mold, the kind with the base, I've only used aluminum molds before, could that be why the sealer isn't working? Do I need those rubber screw thingies? Any advice to stop the leaks? Thanks so much for any help!:)

I have found the bigger the mold the more they seem to leak. First is the mold sealer new or have you used it more than a few times? If it has been used before use new sealer only on bigger molds. I have found this works the best. Also, you may need to use more sealer than usual and spread it out further and make sure the outside is edges are sealed tight. HTH

Thanks so much for all the replies. The mold sealer I used was "new", as in I never used it on another mold, but I've had it sitting around for a few years. So, maybe it is old. And I'm going to clean the bottom of the mold with alcohol, I cleaned the inside before using it, but not the outside, so maybe that's a problem, too. I was just so excited to pour my big ol' candle. I really didn't think it'd be any different than pouring a regular one. :sad2:

Just two questions, what is "metal tape"? I know DH has some airplane tape somewhere in the garage, I wonder if that would work? It's supposed to hold big old AF planes together surely it could stop a leak??? And what is a "self tapping metal screw"? Can I find this at lowes or home depot? I'd really like to find a solution without having to place another order for something. Myabe I'll use the screw, mold sealant, and then cover it with tape. I've already cleaned up enough wax from the 3 (yes, 3, I don't give up) tries!:rolleyes2

Thanks again!

Here's the metal tape link.

http://www.candletech.com/metaltape/

It works really well. However, on the larger molds, particularly the metal ones with the base, I've found you have to use lots of putty and tape. Sometimes, with large molds, I've even overlapped the sides of the mold with the tape. Have never had the problem with the aluminum molds. Make sure that the tape is really sealed. To do this I run a little plastic glue stick over the it and make sure there are no gaps. Make sure the edges of your tape are really smoothed down too.

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!:yay: It worked! I cleaned the bottom up real good with alcohol, used a ton of sealant, and taped the heck out of it with the airplane tape! Whew! I am so happy. Now I can work on getting the spilled wax out of the carpet.:shocked2: Thanks again to everyone!

I have done away with putty/sealers completely, and i've never been happier. What I do is tie a knot in the wick, pass it through a metal washer I made by drilling a hole through a 1" square piece of metal. The hole is very close to the size of the wick. then I pass the wick through a similar hole in a square piece of rubber, then through the mold, and tie the wick to a wicking bar, pulling it taut. Since I've tried this method, I've never had a leak, and no more sticky putty.