votive burn....

Okay, I have been trying to make some votives, and am having bad luck.

I am using 4794 and zinc 44-24-18. Tried Apple Blossom and Sweet Pea FO, and both did the same thing. As long as the votive cup is small enough to conform to the shape of he votive, all is great. But if I use a votive cup that is rounded, or a different shape than the votive, it just burns straight down the middle, using up the entire wick in 30 mintues... any ideas?

Well here's a thought for you ... drop the wick size because I think that's too big for that FO.

Burning votives -- there are a ton of really cool looking holders out there, but not all of them are burn friendly. A roly poly votive holder isn't exactly burn friendly as you may have found out. The votive spreads out too far that it essentially isn't effectively used.

Votives don't HAVE to be in a straight-sided votive holder. That just happens to be the MOST IDEAL size. You could try flower pots, but basically the more constraining (the better it holds wax), the better the melt pool and the more likely to give off a hot throw.

Just some thoughts.

Votives are container candles. It doesn't have to fit like a glove but you don't want much extra space, because if the candle isn't big enough to create a reasonable level of melted wax in the container it will burn down pretty quickly. If it doesn't then what you have is a small pillar rather than a votive candle. :)

• 3 years later...

BUMP

Ok, old thread here, but current question for me.

I am trying to learn votives and how they should burn. Two of the smallest wicks that I have (and smallest that I can buy) are 10-28 Z and TL-10. The TL-10 seems to be the better wick for flame height and burn stability. It tends to cause the votive to overflow the sides in about an hour or so. The Zinc wick is less stable and after several tests, not only does the same thing with spillage, but sometimes chokes down to a very small blue ball.

From what I've seen after buying votives in the store, they all spill over at one point or another. Doesn't seem that you can hold a votive in your hand unless it is in a container.

Is this right? Why can't I make a votive that burns down the center like a pillar?

I'm using 140 MP wax and have tried the wax raw, mixed with Harmony, with and without vybar, with and without FO, with and without dye. I've tried votive blend IGI 4794. All pretty much the same results, overflow at about the hour to hour and a half mark.

I'm happy with the throw.

Is this a good votive or should I be trying to make it burn like a pillar?

Edited by EricofAZ

My votives burn like yours, at some point in the burn they out flow, hence the need for a tight fitting container. As far as I know, this is normal. Trying to get a votive to burn like a pillar sound daunting, I can barely do it with my 2" pillars. For wax I use EcoSoya PB and IGI 4625 (which my be overkill for hardness) not mixed. Throw seems good with either. I use LX-10 wicks for the 4625 and LX-14 for the PB.

VOtives were made to be burned in a container. They are supposed to spill over and usually within 45 minutes to an hour depending.

If your zinc goes down to a blue ball, up the wick size. It varies with testing.

If you make a votive to burn like a pillar, than it isn't a votive. You want the spillage and a good melt pool to release the fragrance. You don't want to waste the wax and a customer isn't going to stick around to keep buying from you if your candle leaves wax and a wick tab behind. Just saying.

Now on a different note, this thread may become corrupted. It did earlier while trying to access it. (This is just my mental note)

Edited by Scented

If you want a pillar the size of a votive then use Pillar wax with a very small wick, I have some LX 8's, the smallest wick I know. I can send you a few so you can test instead of buying. Also have LX 10 & 12 if you want to try a few of them. PM me your address. When I made some smaller pillars I got a straight sided pillar mold. I think it will be hard to wick a votive if it's slanted like mine are.

...........ROC ... FH ...Pool

LX 8.....0.13 ...1.1 ...2.0

LX 10... 0.15 ...1.1 ... 2.0

LX14.... 0.19 ...1.3... 2.1

TL10.... 0.07 ... 0.5 ...1.3

TL15.... 0.08 ...0.6 ...1.5

CD6 .... 0.18... 1.41 ...1.76

So the TL's are the smallest that I could get my hands on and the TL10 does tend to want to burn like a pillar at the beginning. Eventually, because the taper narrows, it overflows.

Seems to me the hotter wicks like the CD6 or LX14 overflow within a few minutes and heat up the glass holder (I bought a gross of those flower pot glass thingies on sale).

Maybe I shouldn't be concerned about the wax flowing over the sides then. the ones I bought in the store are made by Stella Mare in Portland. Way too hot at the end burn.

Also the storebought has a 6mm safety tab x 32mm. Wicksunlimited told me minimum quantity of the 6mm is 100,000. I didn't ask the price. There was one buyer they turned me on to but that website wants $8.96/100 so the price is pretty prohibitive. I can't find anyone else that has 6mm tab heights on a wide base.

Edited by EricofAZ

I burn mine all evening so about 3 to 4 hours. I still say don't worry about the spill over, that's why they are in a container. The flower pot holders (I have some) are interesting to wick for because of the narrowing diameter but I still use LX-10s from CS. Going for a 6mm neck might be a good idea for those pots. The TL wick I use for tea lights.

I was just discussing this with a friend. Yes, there are many different and cool votive holders out there. They are usually not tight fitting and the wax runs. Personally, I try to make sure my customers use the standard votive holders. I get about 14-15 hours out of my votives when I use these holders. I do use the 44-24 wick on some hard to burn scents, but that is too large of a wick for most fragrances.