Something I don't get about this board

sweetiepie

:sad2: :sad2: :sad2: :sad2:

What

I will tell you I have been in business for a long long time sewing professionally Dresses Pants Shirts and anything you can imagine for a few

industrial good companies i have seen many many very good people that truly want you to be a success and a few that are not. Five years ago i decided

to quit the sewing and go in to candles scented teddies and now soap

i stop making candles i was not enjoying it but i love making soap.:yay: :yay:

And gust what; i get the same thing on this board people talking about wen to sale soap in another board there questioning the mp soap Is it handmade or not. The though of a 60 year old lady with 4 grandchildren is if a newbie

like me and others asks a question don't discouraged her or him try to help them like most of the people do on this board if they ask it is because they

know you can help that's all

thanks

THIS IS FOR YOU GRANDMAARIAL

Keep going you doing GOOD.....

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone want to buy my 2 mrdoright molds, I just bought on the co-op? lol..

I had said in a another post, I have been making candles about 8 months..

I have not even condidered selling yet..and had not really even looked at the B&B part of this forum..Then one day I saw the recipe for Shortening & Shea Sudsy Soap..next day the Emulsified Body Butter..then the co-op on the molds..and jumped right in a bought 2 molds..Now after reading non-stop for several days..I am wondering if I did the right thing..lol

After all these coments, if it takes longer to prefect the soap and lotions, than it has for me trying to prefect the candles.. I'm in for a long haul...

I do want to say..I love this board..I have only been posting about 2 months or so..I know I have asked probably some pretty dumb questions..but have always been answered in the nicest way..and I know that if I get into the B&B side of this, I will probably ask some more dumb questions..but I will try to read read read and learn as much as possible that way..An learn here from all of you..I want to go about this the right way..because it sounds like it would be so much fun...I have enjoyed reading all these posts,,on when you are ready and when not ready..you do really learn from them..if you have a open mind..

Don't sell those mold yet. B&B and soap are just as much fun as making candles. Try it. You may be a great at it, you may not. You don't know until you try.

B&B doesn't take as long to perfect as candles. Have a very good scale, some common sense and a love for reading and learning and you can do this.

As I do believe I am the other newbie referred to here I guess I should speak up.

Actually, you weren't.

There is a big difference between 30 batches and 4 or 5 batches.

I'm sorry if my post made you feel like you needed to defend yourself. That was not my intention.

Now I'm going to have that stupid Carly Simon song stuck in my head all day

:tiptoe:

did you see the lol..:grin2:

I may not even attempt this for some time..I will read read and read some more,,But after seeing all the beautiful soaps different ones of you have made..I want to try making some too..:yay:

Nope, didn't see the lol but didn't want you to give up before you tried.

did you see the lol..:grin2:

I may not even attempt this for some time..I will read read and read some more,,But after seeing all the beautiful soaps different ones of you have made..I want to try making some too..:yay:

Don't hold off too much on trying it. Learning only goes so far until you start getting hands on. Read with a view to planning your first batch. When you have it all worked out, jump in the pool. The water's fine!

For me, candles are easy. I could make them in my sleep. I can burn them the next day & see if they work. Now CP soap that is the "elusive butterfly." I hate that you have to wait so long to see if it's good. But I will not give up, I will just have to learn to be patient. My Grandma made lye soap & I watched her, but hers didn't have the wonderful scents and was being made as a necessity. Carole

I would like to see some step by step directions..

I can follow that but there are enough not sure of's.

Or maybe it is just because I have never make any before..

But If there are some step by steps I would sure like to have them..

I have been looking to see where I will order my supplies from..

any suggestions..PM me if you want

Actually, you weren't.

There is a big difference between 30 batches and 4 or 5 batches.

I'm sorry if my post made you feel like you needed to defend yourself. That was not my intention.

Now I'm going to have that stupid Carly Simon song stuck in my head all day

:tiptoe:

OH! That’s so cute! You’re being retro! We used that 30 years ago! Or were you trying to be obscure? If so try harder.

You would have no way of knowing how many batches I have made from the post where I announced it looks like I may be in business, ready or not… and some people might assume I have only made the 6 or so batches that I have announced here, and I have only been doing it a little longer than Salli so I don’t think it could be seen as paranoia that I would think myself included as one of your newbies. At rate I know I’m a newbie. But no matter… I wasn’t defending myself, I was making a point.

We all only know what we read about each other here, and I am sure no one posts each and every batch they attempt. Others did use this thread to directly address concerns they have about salli, and she was receptive. I was also able to use it to approach my own insecurities about my readiness to distribute a product. For that I thank you for starting this thread.

I like this board, I like how supportive the people are, how willing everyone is to share experience and advice, and how straightforward and polite people are with each other. I haven’t been to the candle section beyond brief visits to the gallery as I haven’t made candles since about the time Carly’s hit came out. Back then there was no internet, few pre-made wicks, no vegetable waxes, even any paraffin wax beyond the kind available for canning was had to acquire. If you wanted a blend you made it yourself. We even made most of our own wicks. No one worried about getting a perfect melt pool, or if the wick smoked a bit. Everyone’s did. Guess what, no ones house burned down either. Of course back then people used common sense.

You wouldn’t burn a candle on a flammable surface, or near an absorbent or flammable substance, or anywhere the heat could accumulate and possibly cause a problem, or leave a candle burning if you left the room. Now days it seems people do all of the above and if something bad happens they blame the manufacturer. Who doesn’t remember the couple who tried to sue both Black and Decker and Kelloggs when someone put a poptart in a toaster and took the kids to school.

8-Gran_Ones

These are some of the best instructions I found online, gave me the best idea of what to expect.

I would like to thank everyone for the positive feedback. Euginia, from you in particular that is a high compliment. That you think I have a level enough head to do this helps give me confidence in myself.

8-gran-ones...

during my travails with researching, Robin's tutorial on CP is terrific.. it includes pics, and is quite detailed. The only other thing I've had to go looking for as far as instructions is percent FO to add. I found that at www.millersoap.com

That is a great place to do some research.

More links:

www.teachsoap.com

MMS (majestic mountain sage)

If you look in the sticky post at the very top of this forum, there is one entitled abbreviations or something. In addition to the abbreviations, there is a comprehensive list of fixed oils/butters.

supplies: and I'm sure I'm not even touching the tip of the ice burg...

kangaroo blue, camden grey, catalina, mms, a garden eastward, columbus foods, the scent works. Or if you do a search on the supplier by state ( http://www.suppliersbystate.com/state-listings.php ) there are many suppliers listed. I can tell you some of the keywords I've used to search, but I still wouldn't know what I know without the help of the few I've PM'd. People here really are helpful!

If there's anything else I can do to help, let me know!

OH! That’s so cute! You’re being retro! We used that 30 years ago! Or were you trying to be obscure? If so try harder.

You would have no way of knowing how many batches I have made from the post where I announced it looks like I may be in business, ready or not… and some people might assume I have only made the 6 or so batches that I have announced here, and I have only been doing it a little longer than Salli so I don’t think it could be seen as paranoia that I would think myself included as one of your newbies. At rate I know I’m a newbie. But no matter… I wasn’t defending myself, I was making a point.

We all only know what we read about each other here, and I am sure no one posts each and every batch they attempt. Others did use this thread to directly address concerns they have about salli, and she was receptive. I was also able to use it to approach my own insecurities about my readiness to distribute a product. For that I thank you for starting this thread.

I like this board, I like how supportive the people are, how willing everyone is to share experience and advice, and how straightforward and polite people are with each other. I haven’t been to the candle section beyond brief visits to the gallery as I haven’t made candles since about the time Carly’s hit came out. Back then there was no internet, few pre-made wicks, no vegetable waxes, even any paraffin wax beyond the kind available for canning was had to acquire. If you wanted a blend you made it yourself. We even made most of our own wicks. No one worried about getting a perfect melt pool, or if the wick smoked a bit. Everyone’s did. Guess what, no ones house burned down either. Of course back then people used common sense.

You wouldn’t burn a candle on a flammable surface, or near an absorbent or flammable substance, or anywhere the heat could accumulate and possibly cause a problem, or leave a candle burning if you left the room. Now days it seems people do all of the above and if something bad happens they blame the manufacturer. Who doesn’t remember the couple who tried to sue both Black and Decker and Kelloggs when someone put a poptart in a toaster and took the kids to school.

8-Gran_Ones

These are some of the best instructions I found online, gave me the best idea of what to expect.

I would like to thank everyone for the positive feedback. Euginia, from you in particular that is a high compliment. That you think I have a level enough head to do this helps give me confidence in myself.

LMAO GrandmaArial!! Very well done (puting one in ones place I mean, just so nobody has to guess) I soo wanted to do that myself, but I had a hunch that you would handle it beautifully and you did!

I have been soaping both CP and MP soap for more than two years and YOU have inspired me already more than once in reading your posts and looking at your soap photos. I just wanted you to know that. I hope your confidence remains and that you keep inspiring and posting and sharing your successes.

Interesting thread.

My 2 pennies...

Anything you sell to ANYONE (incl fam & friends) should be of the best quality you can achieve. I think this is double for handcrafters of anything...we have to work harder...people are always more critical of anything not made in a big factory. Sadly, they don't realize that (most) handcrafters generally take way more time & care w/ making products & it's truly about the art of the craft (as opposed to making money) & the desire to share our talent & knowledge w/ the world...even if our world only goes as far as our community or our workplaces.

Selling involves way more than just making a (hopefully good) product. It involves INSURANCE, testing, knowing your ingredients & how they react in your product, knowing (deciding on) your target market, marketing the product, being basically in the red for 3-5 years, balancing the books, & a gazillion other things. I'll type it again...SELLING IS NOT JUST ABOUT MAKING A GOOD PRODUCT!

I can truly understand & respect the care & concern when Chandlers appear to "pounce" on newbies who want to rush out & sell their "perfect" candles. If I were knowledgeable in candle-making I'd be right there w/ them! Candles can be dangerous simply b/c of the flame...a poorly made candle is even more dangerous! So Chandlers, please keep expressing your care, concern & knowledge...you might make someone think twice...and save a life.

As far as selling B&B products, I think the same testing & precautionary steps should be taken regardless of whether you make HP/CP/M&P soap, use pre-made bases or make things from scratch. Just b/c you know how to melt, stir, boil water, whip, color & scent or b/c a manufacturer says "all you gotta do is scent this & pour it in a bottle" DOES NOT MEAN THAT PRODUCT IS READY (safe) FOR SALE! I think even M&P soap should be thoroughly tested...first on you...over & over again... before you even give it away. Even soap can cause problems for some people. And nobody, no matter how talented, gets anything done perfectly the 1st few times. Knowledge, practice (testing) & skill is what turns out a good (safe) product. And nobody gets any of that in a few freaking weeks! Hell, some of us don't get that in a few freaking years!

I've been handcrafting soap for almost 1 yr & other B&B products for almost the same amount of time. I have one kick-ass soap recipe that's finally perfect that I know will be a killer one day...but it's still being tested on what may (will) become my target market. Am I anxious to sell it outside my immediate world? HELL YEAH! Will I sell it right now just b/c it's perfect? HELL NO!!!!!!!!! It's still being tested...& there's insurance...and there's biz start-up issues...and there's.... SWIM? If I ever post that I'm ready to sell all the things I make just b/c I make 1 killer soap, I hope all the knowledgeable people on this board will pull my coat-tail (step in my ass) & say "wait...how'd the testing go? Is your ins in place? " etc, etc

I said all that to say that what sweetie pie sees as a double-standard (and I agree) should be examined. The same seemingly "pouncing" posts regarding candles should be applied to B&B products...all of it can be dangerous due to lack of knowledge & if not made safely & correctly. I don't want anyone to get the impression that a pre-made base or M&P is "ok & safe" to sell the day after he/she learned how to melt or pour! We crafters really are excited & proud about our products...but we all need our peers to step up & help us make sure our ducks are in a row. None of us know (or remember) everything.

And for those of you who don't think you can trust your fam/friends to be honest about your products, please PM me for my addy so you can send your stuff to for mine to try. My fam & friends are BRUTALLY honest! If I were a punk or thin-skinned, I would have stopped soaping 6 months into it! Boy, they hurt my feelings about my products...but it just made me determined to get it right!

Thanks for all the advice and links to information..

When I first started reading post about soap I must

admit it was like reading latin..I didn't understand anything

they were talking about..I still don't understand it all, but

it is becoming more clear..

I did buy 2 #4 Molds from the coop last week, I knowticed

that some instructions say to put the wood cover over the soap.

Does the Do Right molds have a cover, or do you just have

to put the saran and towels over?

I am sure I will be coming back with more questions,

as I try to understand more..

Thanks again for all the help..

And I must say some of you ladies sure have some beautiful

soap..I am anxious for the day I can post something of mine..

of course (JUST AS A TESTER) LOL:yay: