disappointing hot throw

Hey everyone. I am still pretty new to the boards, haven't posted much but have been reading like crazy. I poured my 1st candle on Thurs. 19th. Here's the details:

Ecosoya cb advanced

added 6% FO (pomegranate) at 155 degrees

poured at 120 degrees

5 oz jar HTP 93 wick

no dye

It poured great, one pour no wet spots. Cold throw is fantastic. Burning for 1st time today (12 days curetime, maybe not long enough?). Achieved full melt pool in 1 hour. But the hot throw is limited to the area where it is burning. Other candles I have burned in the past were stronger, so I am worried that I messed up big time!

Will the hot throw be stronger if I wait longer, does the ecosoya suck for hot throw, or did I do something terribly wrong!?

I use this wax and find you have to do a lot of testing to find fragrances that throw really well in this wax. I guess there are trade offs. The candles turn out beautiful and the cold throw is great....can you have it all? I can pick it up locally so it is super cheap. I make it work.

I finally gave up on the advanced and stuck with the CB 135. For me the advanced just didn't work and I like the CB 135 much better for a lot of reasons.

When I finally did get a hot throw from the advanced it took weeks of curing (4-6 weeks) and only 1 or 2 out of ten FOs worked in it. For me thats just not good enough.

I have been very happy with 135 for ease of use. Yes, I get the occasional wet spot, and I don't color, so frosting isn't really an issue. But I found the hot throw to be good.

I originally started with HTP wicks, but switched to CDs and I think that helped with throw as well. Just a suggestion.

I use ecosoya pure. I've had some candles with strong cold throw and lit them and barely a hot throw at all. Can someone explain why changing wicks would help because the wick I'm using creates a great flame and great burn pool so why might a different wick create a better hot throw? Still a newbie myself.

Thanks -I may have to try the 135, If I am not happy with the hot throw then I know customers would not like it.

How is the 135 for pouring/frosting/ease of use etc.?

I like the hot and cold throw of it. It has frosting with some dyes but not all. I would test a dye and if it caused frosting I either eliminated it or cut back on the dye til I was satisfied with the results.

Thanks for all the suggestions :grin2:

I'll have to get some other wicks and experiment with them. There is so much information on these boards that I had a hard time deciding where to start, so just ordered some different things and went for it! lol

The candle turned out so pretty that it really stinks that the hot throw is not good. It would have been way to easy for me to nail the first one :laugh2:

Any other tips are greatly appreciated!

I use ecosoya pure. I've had some candles with strong cold throw and lit them and barely a hot throw at all. Can someone explain why changing wicks would help because the wick I'm using creates a great flame and great burn pool so why might a different wick create a better hot throw? Still a newbie myself.

lol, I'd like an answer to this myself. I'm not sure why, but it did make a difference. I suspect that different wicks burn at different temps creating different melt pools. I'm sure someone can come up with a more scientific reason or tell me I'm just crazy. Both are possible :D

I gave up with the CBA due to poor HT & it took so long to cure. Now I'm using CB135 which I much prefer for throw tho you can get some very funky looking tops with some F.O's.......a blast or two with the heat gun usually sorts them out. Frosting isn't a problem for me as I don't usually dye it.

I'm wanting to try adding coconut oil to see if it helps at all but haven't got any yet.

Sally.

I originally started with HTP wicks, but switched to CDs and I think that helped with throw as well. Just a suggestion.

Ditto! I prefer the CD wicks with it too. Although I use LX sometimes, the CD works better for me in the CBA.

The candle turned out so pretty that it really stinks that the hot throw is not good. It would have been way to easy for me to nail the first one :laugh2:

Any other tips are greatly appreciated!

Try a different wax. It won't be that pretty for long but it will throw better. If you look through the past threads you'll find that countless people have been down this same road. Disappointing because it's practically the only great looking veggie soy blend and also relatively easy to get a good melt pool with it, but doesn't throw worth a damn.