5" balls

I made one of these a while back, but never burned it because I have no idea where to start wicking it. Largest candle I've done is th 3" pillar. I'm sure it'll need a larger wich, just no idea how much larger. If I could at least get in the ballpark to start testing. I don't expect a great burn because of the shpae, but I do want to get the best possible one I can. Any ideas?

Lotta help you clowns are! :laugh2: :laugh2:

Yup, it's a saturn mold Donita. Hmm... Think the biggest SB I have is a #1. I wasn't planning on having to deal with big balls when the wick co-op was oing on :rolleyes2 I have most of the sampler packs still though.

I'm wondering, maybe I should aim for a wick that would be comparable with a 4" pillar? Though the ball is 5", that is only at the widest point....

What a pain this big ball is :shocked2:

I've got a five inch ball also.......... well a 5" ball MOLD that is!! :D

It's currently collecting dust since I've no clue what to do with it. ;)

I'd love to have a couple of balls in my bedroom..... on some sconces (get your head out of the gutter people! :D ) I have that are nekked!! LOL

I made chunkies with them when we had a kiosk at the Mall. Kids use to take them off of the sheves and "bowl" with them.....I quit making them...LOL I didn't want to be responsible for someone getting hurt with those big balls. Donita

Lotta help you clowns are! :laugh2: :laugh2:

I'm wondering, maybe I should aim for a wick that would be comparable with a 4" pillar? Though the ball is 5", that is only at the widest point....

What a pain this big ball is :shocked2:

I think you are on the right track. Especially since it's only 5" in the middle.

But I do have to say, this thread made me laugh! A bunch of clowns:p

Hi Ducky,

I've been busting I mean testing balls now for the last 2 years and I've yet to get one perfect. The best advice I can lend is to start off with a #3 and work your way up. I've tried the flat braid but it tends to flop and drown in it's own... well you know. Good luck to you.

Well, the fact that I have no SB large enough, I had to try something else. With no idea where to start, I grabbed a HTP 126. I'm not liking it. The flame is tall and smoking, but the melt pool so far is nice. Though it does look like it may be too small as it burns farther down. If you have to wick up with LXs, there may not be one big enough. So I guess that leaves me with the CDs and RRDs :undecided

This is after burning 5 hrs last night...

Ballburn.jpg

It's not too small, especially if the flame it too big and sooty. It's burning down because there's nowhere else to go. Within reason, that's what you want. Too small a wick won't do well at the top of the candle because it won't wick up enough wax to keep it from dripping down your balls, and we all know how much that can suck. So just a little smaller would do the trick.