Silk For Soaps

Crafty1

It is just raw silk. I got mine at Candle & Soap Stuff (but I think shipping is very behind right now). You can also get the fibers from the fabric store I've heard.

I can't remember off hand where other's have purchased theirs, but I'm sure someone will chime in :)

You can buy liquid silk (supposedly smells lol), and tusseh silk fibers (Scent Works has the fibers, not sure where I bought mine). If you want to use an old blouse or scarf or piece of material, best is raw silk, uncolored. I'd probably try to shred it a bit so it will melt in the lye water easier and not turn in to a clump.

I just made my first batch of CP soap with silk fibers, I can not believe the difference the silk adds to the soap. I cut the soap just a few days ago and all ready it has a rich creamy lather.

In this particular batch I used silk fibers added to the lye water to dissolve. I do also have liquid silk that I will be trying next. I do not know what Robin is referring to as the liquid silk smelling but mine doesn't smell that bad oob.

Snowdrift farms and WSP also carry the liquid silk.

I just ordered the tussah silk fibers from Scent Works. Hoping they will be in today or tomorrow so I can try them out.:yay:

well rub it all in my face...lol be sure to post your results. i guess i am off to place an order with scent works since they are closer to me.

Carrie,

I am not familiar with silk powder . But when I use the fibers I add them to the lye water to dissolve them I would think there would be no need to add the powder to the lye water - I would reserve a little of your measured soap oils and add your powder to that, just enough to make the powder creamy. Maybe some one who is familiar with the powder has a better procedure though.

How funny, I just got my SW order today which included silk fibers. I was about to post a thread saying "got my silk, now what" but got smart and did a search first LOL!

Thought there may be a special recipe to use silk in, but looks like I'll just add some to my next batch of soap... can't wait for my Upland to get here tomorrow!

How funny, I just got my SW order today which included silk fibers. I was about to post a thread saying "got my silk, now what" but got smart and did a search first LOL!

Thought there may be a special recipe to use silk in, but looks like I'll just add some to my next batch of soap... can't wait for my Upland to get here tomorrow!

i bit the bullet and placed an order with SW. can't wait to post my results. be sure to post yours.

i was tempted to do that, heard that corn silk makes a nice bar too. how did your batch turn out?

I rather like it. Then again, I'd never used handmade soap until I made some. And so far, just about every batch has been a different recipe, so I don't have any of that recipe without it to campare it to. I'm not too good at noticing subtle differences though. It didn't dissolve completely and you can just barely see tiny clear elongated specks in the soap. Gives it an interesting look :)

I have some liquid silk sitting around, it was meant to put in lotion. I found out I stink at making lotion. So at least I know I can put it to good use in soap. Do you put the liquid in with the water and lye? How much do you use pp?

i bit the bullet and placed an order with SW. can't wait to post my results. be sure to post yours.

Sure will... I'm soaping tonight - gotta break in the new mold. I thought I'd try SWs Gentle Chamomile Tea with the silk and of course sprinkle it with chamomile or something like that. We'll see how it goes!

OK - I'm right in the middle of this so I likely won't get a response in time, but here goes anyway! What's the silk supposed to look like in the lye solution? And should I not have discounted my water? It looks like it kinda disolved. It's not in big clumps like when I first put it in. I used very little, like the size of a nickel if that for a 3lb batch. It looks like there are itty bitty clumps evenly distributed throughout. Can someone come over and hold my hand while I finish this up please?!