wickless and leftover wax

TxAngel60

Hi all,

I have a question about the wickless and wax. I know that the scent goes away way before the wax. Does anyone's customers complain and what do you tell them when they wanna know why so much wax is left over?

They just dump it/throw it out and get another? Do they not feel like it's a waste of money?:confused:

A wicked candle burns the wax away, so I would think some folks would think they're wasting their money on wickless because the wax is left and you have to throw it all out when done.

I've sold quite a few and no complaints yet but was just curious.

Ohhh..another thing..I've burned one for over a month now and the fo is fading but the wax is still there..don't look like it's gone anywhere,lol. Does it EVER go away??

TIA,

Linda

Ohhh..another thing..I've burned one for over a month now and the fo is fading but the wax is still there..don't look like it's gone anywhere,lol. Does it EVER go away??

Linda

No the wax never goes away, it never gets hot enough to make it burn up and get consumed. Here in the land of recycling and tree hugging, Portland, people have a very hard time with the idea of this, but then they also think burning candles is like second hand smoke. The glass gets recycled and the melted wax gets thrown away, I've seen some sites that say once the scent is gone throw the whole thing in the garbage! The melted wax could be poured into another container and used to lightly scent a closet or drawers or something. I don't usually throw the wax away, I find another use for it but not in the pour pot.

From the user's point of view.....

My MIL gave me a candle warmer a few years ago and I've been using it frequently. The wax never goes anywhere. When my candles "run out" of fragrance, I dump more in. They're like potpourri - the fragrance fades but the product remains the same.

Just a thought - Maybe you could include a small tester vial of refresher FO?

Hi Linda,

Yes to all of the above. The wax doesn't evaporate in a wickless candle only the FO, and yes after the scent is used up it can be thrown out. I tell my wickless clients to keep the jars to give them back to me after they are done with them. The wickless are very popular. I enjoy both types. I use wickless during the day when I can't watch it carefully, and I use the regular flame candles at night.

Kim

I'm always melting lots of tarts around here testing, etc, and don't throw away my used up wax. I just collect al of the wax in a bucket, and when I get a big batch, I make firestarters with it.

Hi all,

Don't get me wrong..I love making them and folks are buying them. I just hope they don't feel like they're throwing money away because of the wax left over.

I did tell 1 of the kids' friends to save me his jar..but that was because I've known him forever:)

I don't think I'd ask folks to save their jars and give them back cuz i feel like they are paying for their jars. I'd feel like I had to fill it for almost nothing.

Then..the oil fresheners..wax binds with the oil..so I don't know if you could really add more fo or not..probably not cuz wax only holds so much oil.

Unless it burns it all off and you can add it..but then you don't get it hot enough to ~bind~ more oil again..seems to me it's be like making another new candle...so may not be worth it.

I'll just keep selling them and if they ask I'll tell them the fragrance is what lasts so long and they'll just throw it all away and buy another.:)

Thanks Kim,

I'll just explain it to 'em..I use those Elite jars to and love 'em..that's why I don't like the fact that they'll throw them out.

So if they save 'em for you, do you refill them for them? And if you do, what do you charge as they alreay paid for the jars?

A dollar or two cheaper? Or they just give them back and you use them again for your line and they just buy a new one?

Thanks bunches!!!

Linda

They just give them back no questions asked. My Ball Elite Wickless are $7.00, but I've been thinking of going up to $8.00 because I make my candles really strong and that gets expensive. I've been using 1 oz. of FO to 12 oz. of wax, I think that is the max FO load. I was using the J223 wax, but I like the 6006 wax now. It's softer and creamier than the J223. And the scent throw is outstanding!

The 1oz and 12 oz measurements I use will make 2 of the 8oz elite candles.

Kim

Reusing jars (except for personal use) is taking a big risk. You cannot assure the conditions under which that jar has been used. Any glass, even pyrex, can shatter or crack if it is stressed enough, either by hot/cold or by impact. Refilling is a nice thing to do for folks, but are you sure that the refill is going into that customer's jar or someone else's? Keeping them separated is a PITA that could cost you more aggravation & money than simply using a new jar. This is the stuff of which lawsuits are made... ;) HTH

When customers return jars to us, I thank them, give them a free votive or something and we use the recycled jars for testing.

Heya Kim,

I use the j223 as well..where is the 6006? Never seen that one I guess. I really like the j223. I use 1 oz and the 1 1/2 oz sometimes to..just goes faster,lol.

AND..I sell my Elites for 9 and have not had one problem selling them!!

My only problem is trying to find them when the season is over and I think it is..Walmart here dosen't have them coming in anymore.

I may have to switch to 8 oz tureens..I use the 6 oz tureens now for those...but I LOVE the 8 oz elites.

I've looked online and they are really more expensive than walmart.

I think if you raise that price they'll still sell..I haven't had a problem with them at that price!!!

Linda

TxAngel

In regards to the q of adding FO to an existing tart.... ( I think there was one, lol) -- it comes down to if it is for your own use or not. Selling an additional vial of refreser oil is, IMHO, absolutely fine. But I would put a limit on how many times one should do this per tart.

For instance, it always comes up that wax only holds so much Fo (oil)... so to keep adding it would be to somehow overload it. But lets say you sell them in tins, jars whatever. If the wax never leaves it's container, what is the problem with adding to it? White spots caused by excess FO wouldn't really be a problem.... (they aren't for sale and don't have to look nice)....oily surface wouldn't really be a problem... ( they won't be being handled or packaged) So on one hand you can add as often as you like to your own personal use tart, or likewise sell refresher vials. The ONLY problem I know of with this practice though, is recently I read something about a chemical in either wax or fo, not sure, that you don't really want to allow to heat up too hot or too often as it becomes more likely to be released from the wax into the air. I don't mean to freak anyone out, and I can't quote any official site or thread where I once read this.... i'm just saying, for me, after adding to a wickless candle over and over and over again, I start to think, 'ok, this one has had it's limit and is probably not so healthy to continue using'. I re use my wickless many many times over for hours and months on end. When I feel it is 'done' I take it out and save it in a plastic bag with all my other scraps to later make fire starters, water candles, ice candles, dipped critters, etc etc etc. Anything not to be 'repeatedly burned or heated'. If I am ever concerned that the wax is too loaded, I simply add a bit of straight wax and or Steric to it.

If you are concerned that customers will begin to q why there is left over wax, maybe it would help to add a bit of wickless education to your print. Maybe a flyer explaining that since there is no flame, the wax will not be 'consumed' and will remain once the scent has 'evaporated' after so many uses, hours, etc. You could also institute a recycling program. Give your customer a free mini tart, or a small discount coupon for thier next purchase if they recycle the wax to you. But if you do that you might want to also explain that you either safely dispose of it or use it in non heat applications. Just depends on how important recycling is in your area. I'm in Oregon also, like Perky, and it might seem like a lot of extra work if you were any where else... but people here would eat it up completely, lol. It's not about the discount... it's about the eco-conscience attitude. They will spend more and are very loyal to you for it, around here.

I don't think anyone would feel cheated by the wickless as they last so much longer than lighting a wicked candle. I have 1/2 of a candle on my burner that has been there for over a month (turned on all day long at least 4 times a week) and it still scents up the whole room. I would never have a wicked candle last that long. I give extra oil to my family and close friends to re-scent their wickless, not sure I'd give it to customers...I tend to be more on the conservative side when it comes to selling. Really I'm chicken! Not sure my insurance covers it either??

Linda,

The jars are seasonal here too. I try to stock up when I see them. I haven't tried the tureens yet. Maybe I will give those a try. I do like the way they look also.

I get my 6006 wax at BCS. I'm thinking of trying the comfort blend soon as well though. I hear it has the best scent throw. I hear it's messy too, but if it throws the best then I can deal with the mess. LOL