Triple Scenting Myth

its a marketing ploy to make their candles sound better.

Wax can only hold a certain percentage before it seeps out and can become a fire hazard.

oh my god' date=' listen to me, I sound like an expert lmao

sorry thats my opinion of course :)[/quote']

Well I have been a candle and soap maker for 6+ years now, and like you, know better than triple scenting anything!!!!:laugh2: I was wondering if it was something new and I need to try it !:rolleyes2

Might I suggest a search. No, it doesn't mean 3 different scents. It has been discussed here for years.

It might be a marketing ploy. It doesn't matter if it works and those people are being honest. And it DOES seems to work for a lot of people. I am not one of those people. If you use good FO, you don't have to use that much FO.

Years ago. 1/2 oz/lb was the industry standard. Straight unblended paraffins were typically used and the wax only held that much FO. As waxes changed (for the better) people started using more scent.

Do the math.

www.StuffSunshineLikes.com

Oh for Pete's sake. It doesn't mean 3 layers either. It is a marketing ploy. When you start making your own candles, you learn that in the first 5 minutes. This has been hashed and rehashed. Good grief, that triple scented marketing crap has been around forever.

Triple scented can mean two totally different things. If it is a single scented candle it is a marketing ploy but if they actually have three different scents in layers it a true statement even several of the big boys have come out with candles with 3 fragrances in layers and called them triple scented.

Sliver is right in the fact that at one time 1/2 oz or less was consider the industry standard. Then new additives and waxes where developed so our waxes will hold more FO. But even to this day straight paraffin like IGI 1343 will only hold the lower percentages

Here's another site that boasts triple scented - http://www.candle-licious.com/index.html - they even claim the following:

BUT....no one does what we do. No one has our wax blend. We mix our blend, from scratch. Our proprietary wax blend allows us to add WELL OVER TWO OUNCES of pure undiluted fragrance oil (almost 13%) to every pound of wax. This is unheard of and even criticized because they say “that’s just not possible.” Who is “they” you ask? We figure it’s the other candle makers and the “big guys” that don’t have our recipe AND our know-how.

I'm not sure if these folks are aware, but IGI 4627 holds 12.5% (same as their almost 13%). And what do they mean by mix from scratch? They buy the crude oil and start from there? I know they don't mean that, I suspect they mean they buy straight paraffin and add their own additives. I personally feel their claims are over the top, but probably helps them sell tons of candles.

Personally I don't want a lot of hype. If/when I start my selling candles, I would like to let my products speak for themselves. But that's just me.

If it helps at all....

Think of it this way.... They are making a comparative statement. As most have said already.... today's waxes hold more than they used to 'in the old days' and the blends do better than straigt paraffin. Pretty much anyone who loads their wax to it's limit or uses a blend or the special additives avalilable now, are doing the same thing...triple scenting...COMPARATIVELY. Just another way to make people think they are getting something better than the other guy is making. Most chandlers refuse to use this statement as it is very misleading and slightly dishonest. But others do because they know it sells more candles and isn't a complete untruth.

I don't make anything with a wick... but I read a ton -and this was how it was best explained to me.

I remember reading somewhere that triple scented referred to being 3 times as much as department store candles. I can see that, as most off brand candles that I have purchased in department stores barely had any hot throw.

Think of it this way.... They are making a comparative statement.

This is one of my pet peeves... labels which say "20% more," "Improved!," "Now with more Raisins," "New, Stronger Scent" - I always think, "Than what?" The assumption is that it is more than it used to be, but how much did it used to be? And what is improved about it?

"Triple Scented" except in the case of actually using 3 different scents, is just hype and old fashioned BS. I think you are right about it referring to the way candles used to smell, but how do they reckon "triple"? Thrice as strong? Use 3x as much as before (whenver that was)? Three times stronger than anyone else's?:rolleyes2:rolleyes2:rolleyes2

Now in that case of the 3 layered candles, I have made them before with my old blend of wax but called them "triple layered", not triple scented.:D Well as soon as I get my sales pitch down on how i want it to say about my candles, cause I want to be honest and then my candle pages will go on my site! Just like my incense sticks, fragrance oils, and bath & body I am honest on those products and will be on the candles which I was before I had to quit!

Before.... I made over 200 different kinds of wax melts/embeds, I do have an extensive collection of silicone/plastic molds, candy molds, cookie cutters and various other molds I found at the dollar store!!!! LOL Down here in our southern neck of the woods, we be likin' variety!

Suzanne, it is my firm belief that a woman cannot have TOO many molds...:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Maybe you could call the triple scented ones Scent Trios or something? Nothing spinny about that... I think it's reasonable to describe your candles as strongly scented or delicately scented or unscented or something like that... On a scale of "unscented" to "run you outta the house" maybe...:laugh2:

Thank you Stella! I like you suggestions! That was one of my pet peeves in trying to come up with something about the scents and how much I use etc!!!

I have had my candles in my shoppe for 2 weeks now and I am almost sold out! No complaints so far!!! Thank God!!!!

Thanks!!!!

lol i just done a 5 day show the people right across a 10' aisle were trying to sell soy candles too (yes it was just wonderful having another soy candle person that close) not. i'll bet i heard triple scented 1000 times i just wanted to scream that it's all bs. imo the only people that use that statement (dumb marketing ploy) are supposed candle makers & should really not be playing with hot wax. ya know. this women was over in my booth asking all sort of questions & wanting to know if i triple scented mine i told her it was bs. she told me where she got her fo's lol it isn't any wonder she has to add 11/2oz.pp. cause the oils are crap. i told my hubby if she comes over here 1 more time i'm telling her to get the hell outta my booth. btw their were 5 of us candle & supposed candlemakers all with in 20' of each other very bad planning imo. 1 was gel, another soy both of them smelled both of our candles & told me i had nothing to worry about hers just didn't even compare to mine, so that made me feel really good 2 different real candlemakers thought mine were far superior to hers. sorry for the essay writing.

supposed candle makers & should really not be playing with hot wax. ya know.

*snork, chuckle, good one*

It IS a shame they did not mix y'all all through the show at least... did you have good sales or do you think having all the candle people together hurt your business? :confused: