Aroma Bead Ornie questions that I haven't seen the answers to...

After spending most of they day either on these boards or melting wax, I have decided that I want to try some Aroma Bead ornies! They sound like so much fun! Really I think I’ve just become addicted to melting and scenting things… :P

I’m really looking for a cute little trinket that will really give off a lot of scent. I plan on using them as a little free gift when people order jewelry from me. Since I’ve seen that these are used as air fresheners, I’m guessing these will work great!

I do have a few unanswered questions though…

When looking for fragrance oils to use for the ornies, should I look for oils that have a good cold throw? Is that a good indicator of how well the scent will travel? Or am I just totally misunderstanding the whole concept of scent throw with fragrances? LOL

Also, some of my FOs smell quite funky OOB. And I know that OOB is not the best way to get the most out of the FOs. Sooo… Will the ornies sort of… You know… Smell better after they have been actually made into ornies?

Are all aroma beads created equal? :D I’ve been looking online and some suppliers say their aroma beads can absorb up to 60% FO, while most absorb 30-40% FO. Is there really a difference in scent when using different aroma beads? I mean they all look the same…

What is a good size to make the ornies? I’m thinking maybe 1 1/2”-3” at most. Since they’re just going to be a little free gift.

How far in advance can you make and store them? I just had the thought of making them for craft shows for this fall, to include in customers’ bags. Will they hold their scent better if they are stored in little plastic bags? I was going to package them like that anyway, so will that work?

I think that’s all of my questions for now!

I can’t wait to get started on these!

I want to know what supplier is claiming 60% ?

No Aroma beads are not created equal I got some in a co-op here at CT and while they worked good I had about 5 FOs that were taking forever to absorbed the FO up to a week. When I reordered I got them else where and not only did the beads look different but they absorbed those hard to absorb FOs much faster all but one absorbed in 24 hour and that one only took 48 hours.

So far I have been just using FO that are true out of the bottle with a very strong cold throw I only have like 12 scents tested out so far. I test for how long they last in a car and just sitting on a plate in the bathroom.

My friend is just starting to make aroma bead ornies. When we were examining the beads we discovered that they look exactly like poly pellets that are used to weight dolls with (we're both sewers!). Are they the same thing?

Nancy

poly pellets are not the same thing. i called the company when BC was first getting the aroma beads in and the poly pellet company told me that they will not absorb fo. aroma beads won't absorb some oils well, which is a bummer, but they do absorb most!

I store mine is glass jars also. I make up a bunch in different scents, then when I'm ready to make ornies, they're ready to go.

As for the size, you have to think about whether or not you'd be willing to sell the ornies if someone were to like the freebie they got. If you are, I'd go with the 3 in size. If not, go smaller. I sell these like crazy so you might be starting something for yourself here!!

poly pellets are not the same thing. i called the company when BC was first getting the aroma beads in and the poly pellet company told me that they will not absorb fo. aroma beads won't absorb some oils well, which is a bummer, but they do absorb most!

That answers that question! Thanks for your reply. I was just curious since they looked so much alike.

Nancy

You're talking about BC's aroma beads not absorbing? Mine have no problems absorbing at all, most are done within 1 day, all but 1 are done within 48 hours. That one left is White Lily & Amber, which took almost a week.

i didn't say BC's don't absorb oils, i said they don't absorb some oils well...some can take a couple weeks while others like cinnamons can be done in a few hours. it all depends on the makeup of the fo. some with vanillins can take longer.

Here is a quick tip with the beads the warmer they are the faster they absorb the FO. I found that out one day I made some right before I had to leave my shop and because they need to be shook so much the first few hours I took them with me to my farmer's market it was one of my hard to absorb FO and by the time the market was over 6 hours later they had absorb everything. Temps at the market was 105 so I have taken to leaving my beads out side but not in direct sun light.

Here is a quit tip with the beads the warmer they are the faster they absorb the FO. I found that out one day I made some right before I had to leave my shop and because they need to be shook so much the first few hours I took them with me to my farmer's market it was one of my hard to absorb FO and by the time the market was over 6 hours later they had absorb everything. Temps at the market was 105 so I have taken to leaving my beads out side but not in direct sun light.

Wow, Vicky - I'll have to try that out - I store mine in the basement so they're cool - Maybe I'll stick them in the garage and see if some of my fo's go faster! There's a select few that take FOREVER! Thanks for the hint!

Thanks so much for all the help and tips! I'm really excited to start working on some ornies for Christmas!

I just found out that Aztec International is only about 7 miles from my house, so I'm going to stop by there tomorrow and get some aroma beads. I already have a bunch of cookie cutters, so I"m just going to use those at first. And then I have the links to all the great cookie cutter places... :yay:

Thanks again for all your help!

Thanks so much for all the help and tips! I'm really excited to start working on some ornies for Christmas!

I just found out that Aztec International is only about 7 miles from my house, so I'm going to stop by there tomorrow and get some aroma beads. I already have a bunch of cookie cutters, so I"m just going to use those at first. And then I have the links to all the great cookie cutter places... :yay:

Thanks again for all your help!

Oh man, you must live very near where I used to live - I lived off Middlebrook Pike @ Joe Hinton - you're making me homesick! Aztec is great - I miss having a place I could just pick up my supplies.

Oh man, you must live very near where I used to live - I lived off Middlebrook Pike @ Joe Hinton - you're making me homesick! Aztec is great - I miss having a place I could just pick up my supplies.

I live right off Broadway! I can't believe there's a candle supplies store so close. That is really good to know that they are a good place to shop. I just hate paying for shipping. Well, actually, I hate paying the 'handling' fees. I guess shipping charges aren't that bad if you can find a place that just charges the actual shipping cost.

Plus, I'm very impatient. So I'm really glad to have a place that I can just make a quick trip to pick up quick little items. :yay:

Wouldn't the fragrance smell up your oven. How would you get the smell out?

AuntieS

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I read on there that someone uses a toaster/craft oven for their ornies, so that's what I'm going to use. At least at first. I just want to make a few smaller ones and see how that goes.

But I am still curious about getting the smell out of your oven. Or maybe since they're only in the oven for a few minutes, it doesn't leave much of a smell...? I guess I'll find out! :grin2:

I live right off Broadway! I can't believe there's a candle supplies store so close. That is really good to know that they are a good place to shop. I just hate paying for shipping. Well, actually, I hate paying the 'handling' fees. I guess shipping charges aren't that bad if you can find a place that just charges the actual shipping cost.

Plus, I'm very impatient. So I'm really glad to have a place that I can just make a quick trip to pick up quick little items. :yay:

The best way to do it is place your order beforehand and tell them you'll pick it up so that they'll have it ready for you when you get there. All shipping charges are bad lol.

Also, ornies never make my oven smell like fo.

The best way to do it is place your order beforehand and tell them you'll pick it up so that they'll have it ready for you when you get there. All shipping charges are bad lol.

Also, ornies never make my oven smell like fo.

You can have your order waiting for you??? Oh my goodness. Now that's service! LOL Although I think it would be fun to wander around looking at everything, too. Of course 'wandering around' in a store usually gets me in trouble! :grin2:

You can have your order waiting for you??? Oh my goodness. Now that's service! LOL Although I think it would be fun to wander around looking at everything, too. Of course 'wandering around' in a store usually gets me in trouble! :grin2:

Actually, the way they're set up is they have fo samples out front to sniff, and the rest of the stuff is in the warehouse and they pick the orders for people - so if you go to their website, you can find what you need and then they'll have it ready. I think they may have a few jars and stuff out front to look at, and maybe some molds and stuff, but not much.