Solas 1 day sale today....what MUST I get?

tarynjms

Please tell me what I MUST get from the Solas sale. It'll be my first time ordering from them. I know, I swore: no more new suppliers!!!! But they've been on my list of places to eventually try, etc..

So far I'm looking at these:

Be Delicious type, Brooklyn Biscotti, Angel Food Cake, Candy Corn, Iced Raspberry, Lavender Cucumber Sage, Lime Basil Mandarin, Milk & Honey, Nectarine Blossom & Honey, Pumpkin Pie, Satsuma, Sweet Dreams.

Anyone like these? Did I overlook anything I must have? Thanks!

So far I'm looking at these:

Be Delicious type, Brooklyn Biscotti, Angel Food Cake, Candy Corn, Iced Raspberry, Lavender Cucumber Sage, Lime Basil Mandarin, Milk & Honey, Nectarine Blossom & Honey, Pumpkin Pie, Satsuma, Sweet Dreams.

Anyone like these? Did I overlook anything I must have? Thanks!

Be Delicious is really nice

Brooklyn Biscotti is strong, strong on the almond notes IMO

Angel Food Cake is pretty good.

LCS ... has done great in soap

Milk & Honey ... better get a lot of it ... this stuff is just divine.

Sweet Dreams is a little different ... more like condensed milk and caramel.

Lime, Basil & Mandarin is a good scent, but we just keep it with B&B stuff.

Let's see, you overlooked Vanilla Plum and Sandalwood Rose and Strawberry and Guavaberry and ... and ... and oh yeah, orange clove. Their honeysuckle is super strong. Cantaloupe Lily is good. Elderberry if you like a wine/grape scent, Kojiki is very different and well worth a try -- think fresh and woody with a touch of citrus. Mango tea was fun and pear tea was as well. Winter is a blow away mint.

I just tried to put in a sample order for just 10 one ounce samples & it says $10 shipping! That seems like an awful lot for shipping. Has anyone had any shipping experience with them? Would you say this is the norm for them? Thanks for any help.

A while back, I was going to order 10 1-oz. samples also. The shipping was $10. I talked with the owner and he still said $10. So, needless to say, I won't pay that high of a shipping price for $10, and therefore guess I won't be trying them either with those prices.

UPS decides on what to charge for shipping. I have no control over that. Please keep in mind that if you want 1 oz or 16 oz it is going to cost the same amount to ship it (with the exception of the box weight, of course). Shipping prices drop dramatically as the weight of the box goes up. It is much more cost effective, shipping wise, for a large amount of product shipped at the same time.

Shipping costs are the bane of every supplier. Let's face it, a package of any reasonable size going any substantial distance (as in - too far to walk) costs a fortune to ship.

It kills me that I often have to actually use a big ole flat rate box to ship small packages in order to save money.

Solas - let's see... I LOVE Brooklyn Biscotti (and I hate foody scents), Vanilla Plum (tho it turns my soaps brown), Lavender Cucumber Sage, BE DELICIOUS (yum), Citrus Splash & Energy. Guavaberry is lovely.

I just tried to put in a sample order for just 10 one ounce samples & it says $10 shipping!
I was just about to order four 1 oz samples and the shipping was $9.00. Needless to say I won't be trying this company with those type of shipping rates.
A while back, I was going to order 10 1-oz. samples also. The shipping was $10. I talked with the owner and he still said $10. So, needless to say, I won't pay that high of a shipping price for $10, and therefore guess I won't be trying them either with those prices.
UPS decides on what to charge for shipping. I have no control over that. Please keep in mind that if you want 1 oz or 16 oz it is going to cost the same amount to ship it (with the exception of the box weight, of course). Shipping prices drop dramatically as the weight of the box goes up. It is much more cost effective, shipping wise, for a large amount of product shipped at the same time.

Wow! Hey, it sounds like Solas is losing out on some new customer opportunities, sounds like shipping costs are costing them. It’s too bad they couldn’t ship USPS and have those samples ship twice as fast for half the price they’re charging for sloooow UPS or FedEx. Someone could order 15 1oz samples and pay $4.60 and get it in only 2-3 days. They could also offer their customers $8.95 2-3 day shipping for up to 9 lbs of oils. Just think of the savings they could pass on to you! I guess it‘s too much of a hassle to go to shop.usps.com order flat rate boxes and labels shipped to their business all for free, think of the savings in cardboard boxes! But then I guess they couldn’t get $10 to ship 10 ozs, which with their UPS discount probably cost them all of $5, while they pocket the rest. No, I don’t work for the Post Office, I’ve just been in business long enough to know what my customers want, cheap fast shipping.

Wow! Hey, it sounds like Solas is losing out on some new customer opportunities, sounds like shipping costs are costing them. It’s too bad they couldn’t ship USPS and have those samples ship twice as fast for half the price they’re charging for sloooow UPS or FedEx. Someone could order 15 1oz samples and pay $4.60 and get it in only 2-3 days. They could also offer their customers $8.95 2-3 day shipping for up to 9 lbs of oils. Just think of the savings they could pass on to you! I guess it‘s too much of a hassle to go to shop.usps.com order flat rate boxes and labels shipped to their business all for free, think of the savings in cardboard boxes! But then I guess they couldn’t get $10 to ship 10 ozs, which with their UPS discount probably cost them all of $5, while they pocket the rest. No, I don’t work for the Post Office, I’ve just been in business long enough to know what my customers want, cheap fast shipping.

I'm glad you posted this. I knew I wasn't over reacting to the $10 shipping quote. I ended up NOT placing the order. There were really a couple of oils I wanted to try, but I don't pay that much, for so little, anywhere else. One or two places did go up a bit in their shipping, but not $10 for a handful of one ouncers! Thanks again for posting

Wow, I don't recall hiring you to work for me, so maybe... just maybe... you should not be tossing around accusations that I "pocket the rest" after UPS charges me $5 to ship a box. I know for a fact that I have N E V E R shipped a box to ANYONE for that cheap. And if I had, I would not be charging them $10 for shipping.

Obviously, you think USPS is the way to go... OH WAIT! Now I remember why I use UPS to ship Fragrance Oils... I do not feel like going to JAIL or paying a TEN THOUSAND DOLLAR fine. Read this:

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_004.html#NwV341374edwa

I am not going to break the law for anyone, just so you can save a couple of bucks while I put myself and my business at risk.

As I have said over and over again, and as other people have also said, shipping prices per pound drop dramatically after the first pound of product is in the box. So yes, it is going to be expensive if you want only a few ounces of fragrance oil.

By the way, in the end I LOSE money on shipping when everything else is factored into the overall cost. I have to buy boxes, packing materials, tape, labels (not to mention having all that stuff shipped to me and paying that as well) and assorted UPS costs, not including fuel and everything else. I am sure you don't care about any of that though.

Normally, I am a nice guy, but I do not apprecaite being attacked and being made out to be someone who is out to take people's money. I have been in business for many years and go to great lengths to satisfy the needs of my customers. As they say though, you can not make everyone happy, and there is always going to be people out there that whine and complain about everything.

I look at it like this - if you don't like it.....don't order. Personally I don't like to order small. Cause shipping is too expensive wherever you order for small orders.

If the supplier has a preferred shipping company that is their perogative. Some people have had bad experiences with certain shippers and choose not to use them.

There are plenty of suppliers that I order from that do not use USPS....but that does not stop me from ordering....heck I don't even like my new USPS guy just tossing my stuff in the yard like it is crap. UPS and FedEx places my boxes in my Foyer nice and neat.

I personally don't have a problem with the shipping....now if they were crappy oils I would care....but I like Chris's oils.

my 2 cents.

Not starting waves....but this thread was started cause someone wanted suggestions, not that they wanted to bash the supplier.

Flat rate boxes cannot be used for many FOs - depending on the flash point most cannot be shipped by air and flat rate (priority) IS shipped by air. So that option does not exist for the most part.

Of course shipping costs are something I'd rather minimize - so I only order from a few vendors (Solas among them) so my orders can be somewhat bigger - more bang for my shipping buck. So like mizbizzyb I don't like to order small and try not to.

ETA: I try to order from local companies too, to try to save on shipping. But only if the quality is there.

Wow, I don't recall hiring you to work for me, so maybe... just maybe... you should not be tossing around accusations that I "pocket the rest" after UPS charges me $5 to ship a box. I know for a fact that I have N E V E R shipped a box to ANYONE for that cheap. And if I had, I would not be charging them $10 for shipping.

Obviously, you think USPS is the way to go... OH WAIT! Now I remember why I use UPS to ship Fragrance Oils... I do not feel like going to JAIL or paying a TEN THOUSAND DOLLAR fine. Read this:

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_004.html#NwV341374edwa

I am not going to break the law for anyone, just so you can save a couple of bucks while I put myself and my business at risk.

As I have said over and over again, and as other people have also said, shipping prices per pound drop dramatically after the first pound of product is in the box. So yes, it is going to be expensive if you want only a few ounces of fragrance oil.

By the way, in the end I LOSE money on shipping when everything else is factored into the overall cost. I have to buy boxes, packing materials, tape, labels (not to mention having all that stuff shipped to me and paying that as well) and assorted UPS costs, not including fuel and everything else. I am sure you don't care about any of that though.

Normally, I am a nice guy, but I do not apprecaite being attacked and being made out to be someone who is out to take people's money. I have been in business for many years and go to great lengths to satisfy the needs of my customers. As they say though, you can not make everyone happy, and there is always going to be people out there that whine and complain about everything.

Wow, after reading this dripping in sarcasm response I seriously doubt I'd buy from you. Showing your ugly side for sure. IMO, very unprofessional response.

Okay, well then.

IMO:

Be Delicious type - must try

Brooklyn Biscotti - pass. It's okay but I have another one I like more.

Candy Corn - same as biscotti, but throws well and an improvement on BCN's, IMO, that smells more like buttered popcorn. Personally, I like the sweeter version from Southern Scentsations.

Lavender Cucumber Sage - must try. Really smells like all three combined. The cucumber tames the lavender.

Sweet Dreams - good if you like sweet and condensed milk. Very similar, if not the same, as KY's (don't recall their name for it off hand).

Agree w/CB that other must trys include vanilla plum and guavaberry. The vanilla plum is delicious once it's burning. Cold throw could be a problem if you're selling, tho, IMO.

what is the other one you like more? This was one scent I had considered ordering but .....

WYW Biscotti available at BCN.

Another winner that I recently found is the Fig & Biscotti from Candles & Supplies. It's one of their newer $9.99 promotional oils. The fragrance is out of this world good, IMO.