Wax Spill.

I have made a few votives and am just testing them, they arent in a tight holder but i feel that the wax is melting too quickly for my liking and spilling all over the place.

Is there anything i can do about this, i buy my wicks from ebay they are pretabbed and are 2.5" long and are made from 44-24-18 zinc-cored wick 2 1/2" wicks.

That's right. If you put a typical votive in a loose container that's usually what will happen. It's even kind of supposed to.

Of course it's your candle and you can make it any way you want. Some people do use higher melting point waxes for votives. It's not too uncommon. You could also try the next wick size down if you like. No harm in experimenting.

In your shoes I'd probably just test it in the tight cup.

thanks for your answers will try it in a tight fitting holder tommorow, by the way, totally different but is there any way of getting your wax to mottle a but without using special wax, being in the uk it is almost impossible for me to get a wax that mottles.

You can use the 36 zincs, they are a standard votive size. The 44s are gonna burn them faster. I agree try in a tight votive container first before you buy new wicks.

36 Z has my vote also.

I dont really make votives, but I do have about a thousand of those wicks laying about, if you want me to throw a few in a env and mail them to you I can. Just PM me and let me know.

Bruce

thanks for your answers will try it in a tight fitting holder tommorow, by the way, totally different but is there any way of getting your wax to mottle a but without using special wax, being in the uk it is almost impossible for me to get a wax that mottles.

You shouldn't have to buy a "mottling" wax. Most any straight paraffin will mottle when oil(fo or mineral) is added.

Try adding more FO to your wax and see if it will mottle, however some waxes just won't do it. So if you were to normally add 1 oz FO per pound of wax, try it at 1.25 oz or 1.5, but I wouldn't go higher than that as it would be a waste.