Ready for some advice

Hey everyone Im totally not giving up on candles but there is a quick backstory as to why Im writing this post.

Last year I decided to make candles and bought a starter kit from Michaels that had 1 lb wax, the pouring pot, scent blocks and dye. Did as the instructions said to make votives and got no aroma. Not a problem, since I was a rookie its ok, decided to try a different scent block and bought it. I used the whole block for like a half pound of wax and got nothing (again making votives), came to the conclusion that scent blocks suck (Yaleys). So I decided why not try the liquid scent ad see if its any better and bought 2 ounces of Dozen Roses liquid scent (Yaleys). I made a triangular shaped candle (about 15 ounces in weight when solid) and used all of one bottle and almost all of the 2nd one. I decided to give it to a co-worker to try it out for scent throw and she said its great.

Now in July my wife and I were in Hershey, Pa for our anniversary and saw a candle supply store on the way there and on the way home decided to stop. I got 2 ounces of Apple and 2 ounces of Peach FO. I made a pillar candle with the machine from Candle Creations and the mold stand at 7 inches high and when melted is about 14 ounces. I used about 1.5 ounces of FO to 15 ounces of wax and got no hot throw at all.

This brings me to why I am posting now..... The mold I'm using is 7 inches tall and takes about 15 ounces of wax. I want to order everything I need from Peak's with some expertise from the masters at this site and from their personal experience what I need to do to make a good smelling candle, so here we go:

1- What type of wax is preferred for making pillar candles?

2- What type of wick is preferred for good melting?

3- What temp. is ideal to add in F.O so when burning the candle it has good scent throw?

4- Should I let the wx cool down alot after it is melted then add F.O, so when I light the candle the throw is good?

That is all for now and if my questions dont cover everything I need to know please add whatever else I may need to know. I know test test test and read read and read some more, someday somehow I will get it good

That is all for now and if my questions dont cover everything I need to know please add whatever else I may need to know. I know test test test and read read and read some more, someday somehow I will get it good

That right there is the best advice you can give yourself or that anyone else can give you..

These are very generic questions, so the answers may be vague at best..

What type of wax you need really depends on what kind of pillars you want to make, i.e. plain, mottled, textured, rustic, cold pour.. etc.. Certain waxes work better for certain techniques, then of course you can try your hand at a straight paraffin and use different additives to get different desired affects..

Wicking is also another variable, as it will be determined by wax, scent, technique, and personal preference on how you would like your pillar to burn.. i.e. totally consumed, or with a slight shell that you hug..

The temp to add scent depends on the type of wax also, but probably typical pillar wax is about 175-180

and lastly no, you don't really want to add scent when the wax is cool or else it will not incorporate very well at all, and could have scent pockets that very well could be dangerous.

I know there are other people here that can be of more help and are more articulate than I am.. Good luck, and most of all, have fun.. This is a great hobby, but there is TONS to learn..

I've been making candles going on 5 years now on a daily basis, and I'm STILL learning new stuff almost weekly!! :)

BTW~welcome to the board. :)

I just want a plain pillar with the wax melting leaving maybe a slight wall so it doesnt drip over the side. As for fragrance I love peach and apple, apple pie and types such as that. I just want a good scent throw so all the adviceI can get will be greatly appreciated. I believe wicking is my problem from the start (except for the dozen roses candle I made for the co-worker) but that candle was done with all Yaley product. Getting to the point of frustration, but feeling on the brink of getting the gist of making a good scent throw, just feel like I am missing an important factor or two in the grand scheme of things. Thanks Kevin

Why not just start with say Peaks pillar starter's kit and work from there? I believe the kit includes a preblended wax so you wouldn't have to add anything but FO and dye to it mostly. If you plan to keep making candles, probably invest in getting some UV down the road.

You'll basically get everything you need in the kit, wick, dye, FO etc.

I was never fond of scent blocks nor Yaley products. I don't know what candle place you stopped at to grab some supplies, but 1.5 oz per pound ought to be more than sufficient to scent a candle. Unless you're really cooking your wax, you aren't burning off that much to make a noticeable difference

I would also recommend the pillar kit from peaks. Or anywhere you would like to purchase one. Peaks seems like a real good kit, it comes with 10 lbs of wax and several scents, and it seems like you get more for your dollar with that kit as compared to some other kits.

As most have and will tell you, different waxes are preferred by different people because of what qualities they are looking for in the wax. So, i think the best start would be in trying that kit. Those will be smooth pillars like you were wanting. :D HTH

I hate pillar candles, always have.....I think they would be fun to make but I dont like burning them so I go with the containers. I KNOW this has nothing to do with your question. Sorry....I ramble...anyway, my suggestion would be that if you live close to a candle supply house, that is one of the best ways to get detailed information with the exact product you are purchasing. I have purchased from several suppliers ( by walking in, not online ) and asked to speak with someone who could help me. Most suppliers have someone on their staff that is very knowledgable about their own products and in candlemaking. I have received the best information this way because so many suppliers test their products and can tell you what wax,wick etc with each of their fragrances.

Just a thought....it worked really well for me.

Welcome to the board. Making candles is SO MUCH fun.You can do it!

Michael

As Jcandleattic said... this is the best advice...most of your questions can be answered by reading here and the archives of the old board.

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi

You may want to try a kit from Peaks, their stuff is good. Then again, since you have already bought a kit, maybe not. You should buy quality FOs at least though and theirs is the BEST. The height and how much wax your mold holds makes very little difference to wicking, you'll judge which to use by diameter. I can't guess what size mold it is, possibly a 2" one since my 3" x 6" round mold holds a almost a pound and a half. If it is 2", you picked a really hard pillar to learn wicking with. Getting a sample pack of a couple different wick type is the best way to go. Then you have plenty of different sizes if you need to wick up or down. Decide what kind of candles you want to make and decide on which waxes are the best candidates. If you read through the forums, you'll see different waxes mentioned and their pros and cons. The more popular, the more it is talked about usually. When you have an idea of which waxes may work for you, research them, here and the mfg site will give you plenty of information. Then buy a test slab of each.

Good Luck

#1 You want a wax made for pillars. Peaks has some good ones to use. Wax at craft stores are usually straight parafin with no addatives. Wax is something you have to play around with and see what you like best.

#2 wick all depends on what kind of wax and how big your mold. Buy a wick sampler kit.

#3 You need to add FO at around 180. Get a good therometer. If you mix it in when wax isnt hot enough it wont bind with wax. Also most pillar waxs only hold 6% FO, which is 1 oz to 1 lb wax. I have heard that if you over load it you dont always have great scent throw.

You would be good to buy a kit from peaks. There will be instructions. Plus look at the directions on the side bar over there. Great info,and good luck.