wick pin / ecosoya pb

I love the ecosoya pb wax but I have a hard time getting the wick pins out.. I hit them and hit them and they don't budge..I really hit it to try and get it out and the bottom of the wax hangs on to the pin and now I have a chipped bottom....

I found if I heat the bottom up with my heat gun, the pin will com out better, but that can be very time consuming...

has anyone else had this problem?

Heat gun is the best way to deal with your issue. It just takes a couple seconds on each pin. You're talking about votives, right?

You get faster at it. I have to do this for all the veg pillar waxes, except palm.

I get mine out by putting them in the freezer for a few minutes after I take them out of the mold. Then I turn them upside down and lightly tap on a table top and they slide right off. Dont leave in the freezer very long because they will crack.

I use the Ecosoya PB with a wick pin and don't have this problem. Are you waiting till it completely cools? I add a little parrafin so maybe thats why mine come out easy. I like to add from 20 - 25 % parafin to the soy. I get a pillar that comes out of the mold with a tap and the wick pin slides out fairly easy. It makes the hot and cold fragrance throw better too.

I also use EcoSoya PB exclusively. I tried wick pins and didnt have a problem getting them out with a few firm taps, but I didn't like the concave bottoms...my warning labels don't stick as well. Now I am back to placing my wicks manually and babysitting them until they stand firm!?

Cheers!

I use the Ecosoya PB with a wick pin and don't have this problem. Are you waiting till it completely cools? I add a little parrafin so maybe thats why mine come out easy. I like to add from 20 - 25 % parafin to the soy. I get a pillar that comes out of the mold with a tap and the wick pin slides out fairly easy. It makes the hot and cold fragrance throw better too.

the longer I wait the harder it is..

I use ecosoya pb and wick pins. I spray mold release in each one, which helps. But I still end up taking a very thin, sharp knife around the bottom of the pin - then they usually come right out without damaging the votive. For me, it seems that if I let them sit for a day or two it's even worse. I have better luck removing the wick pins when they're cool, but fresh.

When removing the wickpins from votives, I find it helps to slightly warm the fragile edges in the palm of my hand. When I remove the pin, I hold the votive in my palm and gently press the pin onto the countertop. Because there is very little space between the wickpin and the edge of the mold, it makes almost a sharp right angle - always a fragile area! If some of the edge fractures, it is easily remedied by wicking and then running the bottom of the votive over a warm pan to fix the edges. HTH

I had a nightmare getting mine out with ecosoy pb. First time, I had to use a sharp knife to release them, so next time I left them for about 24hours and although they didn't really want to budge, quite a bit of force on the end of the pin, persuaded them ;)

I had a nightmare getting mine out with ecosoy pb. First time' date=' I had to use a sharp knife to release them, so next time I left them for about 24hours and although they didn't really want to budge, quite a bit of force on the end of the pin, persuaded them ;)[/quote']

I really am a weakling and have found that my poor little hands can't cope with wick pins. I turn them upside-down and push the wick-pin against the kitchen counter top, or I use the bottom of another votive mold like some kind of neaderthal tool (or a big thimble) to push the pin through. :laugh2:

It just occurred to me that you are talking about making votives with a pillar blend. Generally, votive blends are somewhere between container blends and pillar blends in their relative "hardness." Perhaps trying a votive blend might solve the problem for you.

Ya REALLY shouldn't need a KNIFE to remove a wick pin! Simply pressing against a hard surface should do the trick. It's common to see some minor cracking near the base of the candle where the large end of the wick pin was embedded for the reasons I stated earlier, but the candle should not crack up, otherwise something is very wrong!

I don't use Ecosoya PB, so I would not know what to tell you. Others who do use it have made some recommendations here... My original thought was this was a demolding technique problem, but am now wondering if it is a difference in waxes... If I were to venture a guess, I would try replacing a percentage of the PB with CB...

• 2 weeks later...