Odd Smell

Well, I'm going to try to explain this. As it isn't a visual thing I hope I succeed so someone can tell me what was wrong.

I made (1) 3x4.5 pillar using the following:

Ecosoya PB

1 purple dye chip/pp

1/2 tsp of coconut oil/pp (one week old, has been in fridge entire time)

1 LX 26 wick (tabbed and pre waxed from Peak's)

1.5 oz of Violet Lime FO from CandleScience/pp

I'm doing my first burn test and I have this odd smell like melting plastic?? It is chemical-ee smelling (for lack of a better word) like plastic. It isn't super strong strong, but it is there with the Violet Lime making it smell off...is it possibly the CO?

Also, I added the wick after making the candle. So the wick wasn't sitting in the melted wax during creation.

Maybe my nose is just off tho too...just odd. :(

I detect that smell from some citrus and mint FO's. Using the same FO other testers don't pick up on it at all. However it is so strong for me that I can't burn a citrus or mint candle at all. I have seen it mentioned more than once where someone has reported an odd smell with some scents when using the coconut oil. I had this problem myself and my oil was new. It was sort of like a plastic or spoiled smell. I quit using the CO because if I pick up on it then maybe one of my customers might smell it as well.

Hmm I will try making one at 1 oz/pp without the co...the paraffin definitely works good with the scent...I made one with paraffin and it was good. Very interesting! I appreciate all the feedback! :grin2: