CO vs. CO/PKO

I started with using just coconut, since I can get it locally. But to get the lather I wanted in our hard water, I tried a combo, and it worked in my recipe better than having one or the other. I don't like high coconut, and PKO by itself made my formula too brittle.

Since I finalized my formula using both, I just keep on using both :)

Thank you both for the feedback.

Here are two recipes for example only, with qualities according to SoapCalc. Am I correct that you would consider #2 preferable to #1?

Recipe #1 - 30% Coconut, 70% Olive

Hardness 34

Cleansing 20

Condition 61

Bubbly 20

Creamy 14

Iodine 60

INS 154

Recipe #2 - 15% Coconut, 17% PKO, 68% Olive

Hardness 34

Cleansing 20

Condition 61

Bubbly 20

Creamy 14

Iodine 61

INS 144

The differences I see in my two recipes, aside from the water issues, hardness of bar. The way my recipes are they tend to lather how I want them. The pko/co recipe is probably the hardest bar I make, even with the co/lard combo and using different sap values for the coconut.

Personally on your recipe lists I don't make bars under a 38 hardness. It just takes them too long to set up for me.

I'm with Scented...I keep my recipes around the 45 hardness area. I use @16 to 17% CO and 11 to 12% PKO. I also use tallow and lard in every batch with a little cocoa butter (5% or so) with my soft oils of RBO, Canola, HO sunflower and castor. My recipe using a 33% lye solution, usually come in between a 43 to 47 hardness.

Paul....;)

Even though I have dry skin, I can tolerate coconut up to 30% without problems. So in the interest of keeping things simple, I just use one or the other (coconut OR pko) -- and usually coconut.

I get burned out on 29 oils in a single recipe when I can get soap that's just as great with maybe 3-4 ingredients. JMO