I am Pissed , Double Charging

I can't Control it any longer, i am SOO Upset. I paid an invoice for $240 on the 31st of May, checked my bank statement.. went thru just fine. So then on the 13th of June, they charged my card again.. well, causes a chain of events, and 3 bounced check charges of $34 each. The person who caused this problem claimes no fault, said that they reveresd the charges after they were subitted. SO what am i suppost to do, i look like a deadbeat to those i do business with because someone doesn't know how to keep their own books. Now i have just had to pay $102 in bounced check fees, because of someone's ill book keeping.

What do i do now? The person who charged me doesn't seem to care that these charges were incurred, even though they had no business in creating fraudulant charges..

If they ran the charge through twice and it is their fault I think they are liable. I would try what Dallas said--I don't know if it will work, but if it doesn't--demand to speak to the manager and tell them their mistake cost you financially.

I had that happen. My bank pays the check but charges me $35.00. I called and explained what happened, my bank refunded all the NSF fees for me. If you can, call the parties you wrote the check to and ask them to resubmit the check if it was only submitted once. Things happen, and an explanation more times than not can clear it up for you, and your reputation.

My opinion

It is most definitely their fault. I am assuming it is a business. It was their mistake. It doesn't matter how fast they figured out their mistake and fixed it on their end, it is still their mistake and they need to fix the rest of the situation.

I would get all of your paperwork together, send them a copy with all account numbers crossed out, let them know that they need to pay the fees or you will take it to a higher level.

You can take it to the BBB. I had to do that with FedEx. The same chain of events happened.

Your bank may help you, mine did. Also, the BBB will get involved and they may not want that on their record and pay what they caused. FedEx did end up sending me a check for the NSF fees I incurred.

Don't give up. If you do, it will only cost you.

Good Luck

talk with the vendor who caused the problem, have them write a letter on your behalf (as someone stated before). also speak with your bank, if the vendor submitted the reversal then the bank can verify that. in most cases your charges will be refunded and sometimes the CSR of the bank will write a letter saying it was a banking error for you to provide to the people you bounced checks with.

This sort of thing seems to be increasingly common, at least based on my personal experience, although I was fortunate not to have been overdrawn as a result. I know sometimes it's not their fault if they thought the transaction didn't take and so they run your card again. But should they check each night, and balance the transactions against the cash? The discrepancy should have been caught then, and fixed.

I know it makes you mad and yes they are at fault... BUT... you know this business will tell you that it is not their fault that you didn't have a higher balance in your checking account. I would be very surprised if they wrote letters to the people you bounced checks to.

If I were you I would talk to your bank manager because I am sure they will take care of the NSF fees. As far as the business that charged you twice, what can you do? They fixed the mistake just don't stress yourself out about it anymore. If you can just don't buy anything from them again and if you need them use a credit card rather then checking.

I am sorry this happend to you. I bounced 13 checks in one month once because I made a double mortgage payment by mistake. I got the dates confused and I forgot that set up automated payments and the bank was going to start drawing the money automatically from a seperate account. I had the money to cover everything, just in the wrong checking account! The bank covered everything and I didn't have to pay a dime in fees.;)

That just happened to me too, dammi!:mad: Only they took out 2 mortgage payments and I ended up with $100.00 worth of overdraft fees, you bet your butt I threw a hissy fit(I was panicing big time) and they are supposed to send me a check for the one payment and the overdraft fees.

I can tell you this. If the vendor charged you twice they are responsible for any fees associated with the double charge. My best friends is a Director at Visa and he told me that they need to pay any fees associated with the overdrafts. Not the same thing but my distributor accidentially stopped payment on the wrong check and they had to cover everything assocaiated with it. Since they double billed which they cant do and then say its not their fault they have to cover EVERYTHING.

I know it makes you mad and yes they are at fault... BUT... you know this business will tell you that it is not their fault that you didn't have a higher balance in your checking account.

If that is true, that is just WRONG. If you did not authorize a payment to be withdrawn from your account (the second amount withdrawn), then you should not have to pay the resulting fees. If you had enough in your account to cover the charges you incurred, that is all that should matter. I know, I know...I can be so naive about business.....but whether or not I ended up having to pay the fees, I would demand a letter of explanation from the company that withdrew the funds...that is the very least they could do!

Good Luck to you!

Jane

And that is one of the main reasons I don't use my debit card to purchase anything on-line or over the phone. I don't want them messin up my checkbook! haha Also, I've had my cc number stolen and used on-line. I would rather have that happen to a cc than my debit card.

Hopefully you'll get it all straightened out.

I would keep digging and get to the bottom of it, I know I work for a very large company and there have been isolated incidences where "our" processing company processed the charges twice or the computer program did and after customers started calling in they checked into it and found a problem, needless to say it was all taken care of and explained to the banking institutions but whenever anything goes thru a computer, phone lines, etc then mistakes can be made and it always hurts the customer it seems but if something like that happened then you should not be charged for any overdraft fees, I would insist on a complete explanation and wouldnt stop until I got one.

janis rogers

This happened to my son a few months back but he payed with pay pal and when they refunded the money the next day they put it back in his pay pal account but it takes pay pal like 4 days to put it back in your account and with a weekend them days did not count so 7 days later they put the money back and never did cover the two fees he had from his bank they acted like will they put it back the next day so to bad.