What do I say?

I have a wholesale account where one of the owners is CLAIMING that the customers are complaining about scent throw of my candles. She is saying that the customers are compaining to her and she is passing in through yet another employee to me!

The costomers, according to the owner, are saying that I'm back off on the scent due to rising prices in shipping of my scents and the like,howevery nothing has changed in the way the candles are made. My suppliers haven't changed, my wax hasn't changed, the jar size hasn't changed nor has the amount of F/O I use when making them. I've had this account going on four years and making soy candles for nearly seven years. The owners are seldom in their stores. Everything come by word of mouth!

The weather HAS changed and people are opening windows and door as well as turning on ceiling fans! The scents HAVE changed in that I am into the spring/ summer scent which tend to be lighter in scent throw because it's a lighter season. But the same amount of scent goes into the candles.

The final thing is~ The customers are NOT calling or emailing ME! My phone number and e-mail address are right there on the candles! I leave burning istructions posted with the candles but the owners have refused to enclose them with a candle if they sell them, even if I provide the instructions at my costs.

Basic instructions are in the jar along with warning label but people aren't reading them.

I personally have a problem with the fact of where the information is coming from! Nobody has said anything to ME! so what would you do?

Thank You,

Fire

If I had a problem with a candle, I would go straight to the one who made it, if the contact information is available (and you mentioned that yours is). I guess you could ask the salespersons to take down the names and numbers of those who are complaining so you can contact them.

I would talk to the person that the customers are complaining to. To get first hand information instead of hear say. Tell them they are seasonal scents summer scents tend to be lighter than your usual scents you make. If there is a problem maybe find another supplier with stronger FO's next time or add more FO.

Mindy

I think the problem is with the owners. If someone brought something back to me, the first thing I would do is try it myself to see if there is a problem. Also, their refusal to include burning instructions is also not too good. They don't seem to be making any effort.

I agree with Doris--I'd take a couple of the scents that's getting complaints, make up some candles for myself (using the exact same jars), and re-test for the scent throw. In the meantime, relay to the owners just what you said in your post about open windows, drafts, lighter spring scents, etc. And stand your ground;)

The customers are NOT calling or emailing ME! My phone number and e-mail address are right there on the candles! I leave burning istructions posted with the candles but the owners have refused to enclose them with a candle if they sell them, even if I provide the instructions at my costs.

Basic instructions are in the jar along with warning label but people aren't reading them.

I personally have a problem with the fact of where the information is coming from! Nobody has said anything to ME! so what would you do?

As a customer, if I have a problem with something, I would go back to the store I bought it from. I do not usually attempt to contact the manufacturer directly. That's just the way I am, but it may explain why those customers are not calling or emailing you. If I were in your shoes, I would instruct the store to refer those customers to me for any future complaints.

Fire..

Don't pull your hair out yet.pullhair.gif

Maybe the story was exaggerated a bit by the time it got to you. gossip.gif

Until you talk to the store owner directly, don't fret.

The "customers" could have been just one old grumpy couple that complain about everything. argue2.gif

ETS.. I agree with sudsnwicks..

Have the owner tell the customers to call you, or to take the customers number so you can call them .

Keep us posted..

I have asked the owner for the contact info on these customers and sh's given me NOTHING!

The scents are tested by four people including myself prior to releasing the scent to the public. Most of the scents have already been sold for a year or two with no complaints. I'm not hearing anything form anybody else either and they're all buying the same scents. I have to wonder if it's just the owner too. I offered to cancel their account and allow them to find somebody else and they certainly didn't want to do that!

They have free candles burning in the store and I can certainly smell them when I walk in but the owner herself claims she can't!:rolleyes2

I would talk to the person that the customers are complaining to. To get first hand information instead of hear say. Tell them they are seasonal scents summer scents tend to be lighter than your usual scents you make. If there is a problem maybe find another supplier with stronger FO's next time or add more FO.

Mindy

Well if they won't take the info in the first place...

I have the very best scents that I can buy from places like Peaks, Green Leaf, and other very high quality scent retailers. I also do pull bathches as well and the only candle that has to be refomulated was a Cinnamon Bun Candle because the supplier reformulated the scent and it no longer works in Soy Wax.

Can't speak for others but I trust my suppliers and I've used the same suppliers for years.

Well I would set a metting with the owner since it gets messy with second or third and fourth parties. I don't know that customers would necessarily call you or just take the candle back to the store. I would probably never burn it and/or throw it away if it didn't do what it should. So maybe there is a way to reach the owner and even the stores?

As for the talk you skimp on FO because of price of things ... you know someone started it and I'd work on tackling that end to let others you don't. I don't know that you'll get to the source of the rumor, but you should get close. That's something that need to get squelched, whether you include a display unit with your products that shows otherwise or literature or what have you. Even a small pamphlet maybe about your products, scent descriptions and what they can expect.

I have asked the owner for the contact info on these customers and sh's given me NOTHING!

As a customer I might be hesitant to give my phone # to the store. In such cases, you could instruct the owner to give the customer one of your business cards, so that they have a way to contact you. I know, the contact info should already be in their possession, since it's on the candle's lable, but it looks better if the owner were to hand them a card when they come in with a question/complaint.

It is quite possible the owner may not be able to smell the candle in her own store. As hard as it is to believe I couldn't smell Pier 1 candles in a Pier 1 store and very few could I smell in my own home for the entire 3-4 years I worked there....*shrug* If you are around it for a long time (8 hours + a day) you can't smell it. So, in short, ignore the manager/owner not being able to smell it.

I like the business card part. I would not go to the manufacturer either, I'd go to the store.

AND I agree with scented, someone had to have started all that talk. Perhaps someone else wants to sell their candles there over yours? *shrug* Maybe an educational workshop for the employees on the craftsmanship of your candles would be good? Not a step by step this is how it is made thing, but something about quality and craftsmanship and how to properly burn a candle so they can turn around and educate their shoppers. It makes them experts on selling your candles and shoppers like experts to help them shop. Get a small sample candle for the employees of their favorite summer scents and re-excite them about your product. *shrug* Just an opinion/suggestion.

As a customer I might be hesitant to give my phone # to the store. In such cases, you could instruct the owner to give the customer one of your business cards, so that they have a way to contact you. I know, the contact info should already be in their possession, since it's on the candle's lable, but it looks better if the owner were to hand them a card when they come in with a question/complaint.

The owners of the store~ both tobacco and dry cleaning together, do not want me to leave scent lists nor my business cards there because they think the customer will contact me and bypass them entirely. I've tried to say what shows I'd be at locally so that the customers can come and see me, talk to me small ALL of the scents. They won't allow me to say anything like that for the same reasons!:tiptoe:

No, there's no display persay because the owners do not want me to put one in. Both stores (2 locations) ARE very small on the tobacco side where the candles are sold. They have them sitting on a shelf alongside the candy. Heck, I had to fight just to tape a flier to the shelf annoucing new in coming scents as well as the directions on how to burn them.

But they allowed the advertising to stay when I listed all of the occasions that candles made the perfect gift for giving.

I had thought that it might be another candle maker trying to make me look bad as well. I know from the manager that four candle makers have attempted to sway the owners and manager that my candles are too high in price.

Actually, they are too cheap but people are cheap by nature so...

My feeling is that it the owner and maybe one customer who complains time and time again. The owner is not happy unless she has someone upset.:lipsrseal

My policy with the store is this:

If there's a problem, and I agree with it, I will replace the candle at no cost to the customer and the store as well. Have I ever made of mistake? ABSOLUTELY! But I am quick to make resetution and take the blame. AND THE CUSTOMER HAS GOT TO BRING THE CANDLE BACK TO THE STORE! Reguardless, the customer walks out with a free new candle and I hand off the problem to a tester and replace what they took in the store for free. It's basically opinions unless I can prove otherwise.

But I won't replace a candle in the customer doesn't like the scent! They can open and smell the candles before they buy.

To close, I have no problem with contacting a customer and listening to them and see if we can come to an understanding of the ways. Many customers are shocked by that but the way I see it, it's my reputation and integity on the line. I care a great deal about both.

Fire

The owners of the store~ both tobacco and dry cleaning together, do not want me to leave scent lists nor my business cards there because they think the customer will contact me and bypass them entirely.
What if the cards weren't available to customers, and were kept by the owner, and only given out if there is a problem? This wouldn't cause most customers to bypass them, right? As for the one or two who complain, giving them your card would allow the owner to 'pass the buck' and simplify matters for him. Maybe if you explain it so it sounds like a win-win situation for both parties, they'll agree to it?

It is a WHOLESALE account. I can certainly understand the retailer not wanting to reveal your contact information. Seems logical to me. I would have simply offered to replace any and all candles that were returned to the retailer by unhappy customers. Of course the partially used candles must be given to you when you replaced them. You can test the product that was returned to determine if there truly is a challenge with the product or if indeed it is a cranky customer.

If I remember correctly, you did say this is a four year relationship.I would try and make it is easy as possible for the account. IF it becomes too burdensome, I would severe the ties and move on.

What about a questionnaire? A form to fil.. if a customer complains the shop owners makes him fill a form you can prepare with the common issues. Then the owner will send those forms to you so you could investigate about major problems... I don't know if it's a good idea but I couldn't think of anything else for now!

So sorry!!

I have the feeling someone started this to screw you and your candles, and this is really sad!

This reminds me of the thread about not selling too cheaply if you don't want to be viewed as a chincy candle maker. I wonder if raising your prices by .25 cents a candle would reflect to the customer that you are not absorbing the extra shipping costs by cutting back on Fragrance?:rolleyes2 KWIM?

I can just imagine the shop talk... someone simply MENTIONS (not even complaining) that their most recent candle they purchased in that new spring scent was lighter than what they are used to... then someone fills their head with all the probabilities. Almost as if to vent their own frustrations with shipping charges, or to explain their own rising costs, etc etc. She may be also trying to dig up your secrets by calling your bluff so to speak. By suggesting that her customers are saying you are cutting back- she could be expressing her own suspisions... that she probably only has because of candle nose and all the other things you mentioned. I'd be really curious if you and her have ever discussed the phenomenon of candle nose?

Like most have said, I would offer to replace and do what ever the customer wants. But she will need to produce these 'customers' in order for that to happen. I wouldn't worry too much. If you want to assume that it is a ligitimate complaint (s) maybe it would help to keep some of the heavier scents on the shelf throughout all seasons? If you do descriptions of your scents be sure to designate the lighter ones as such.

Good luck and i hope everything works out for ya in the end!