I need some help re someone stealing my website pics..

I went there and then clicked on 'whois underlying registry data' and got this:

Domain Name: MYPLACEINTHECOUNTRY.NET

Registrar: MELBOURNE IT, LTD. D/B/A INTERNET NAMES WORLDWIDE

Whois Server: whois.melbourneit.com

Referral URL: http://www.melbourneit.com

Name Server: YNS1.YAHOO.COM

Name Server: YNS2.YAHOO.COM

So I think Melbourne IT is her hosting company? You could try contacting them first, and if that isn't right, they might be able to point you in the right direction?

Melbourne IT is where she registered the domain name. The host is Yahoo -- that's what the name server info means.

Hope you got it all sorted out. I just hate when people steal! Ya know, last night I noticed that someone is stealing pictures. I thought real hard about alerting the original site but didn't want to give my e-dress. Now I think that is bullsh$t. I'm going to let the other person know about it because I'd want someone to tell me. :mad:

I don't like paraffin bashers at all. Why not just write about the joys of soy instead of bashing paraffin especially since the info is wrong? Why do you feel compelled to do this? Maybe all of us using paraffin should start a soy bash on our websites and all over the net stating unfounded and untrue statements.

I use a blend, but that doesn't count, LOL

Melbourne IT is where she registered the domain name. The host is Yahoo -- that's what the name server info means.
Roxanne, thanks for the clarification. I couldn't tell which was which, because in other cases where I've had to look this up, the registrar and host were one and the same company.

I don't know about other programs, but in photoshop, you can embed a 'watermark' that can't be photoshopped out, it's set on a layer somehow that leaves the image there, no matter what. If I can find more info on it, I'll let you know.

I don't know about other programs, but in photoshop, you can embed a 'watermark' that can't be photoshopped out, it's set on a layer somehow that leaves the image there, no matter what. If I can find more info on it, I'll let you know.

I think in Sherri's case, the picture thief simply cropped the photo so that her watermark got cropped off. In order to prevent that, she would have had to have the watermark in the middle of the photo, but that would obscure her products.

Exactly...I thought by having my shop name across the picture, it would be ok but obviously she found a way around that. She had another chandler's picture up there (I believe she's a member here also and I let her know)...thankfully she's removed her picture also....although the one she replaced it with is definitely not hers either LOL

I know she stole her soap pictures too but I have no idea who owns them..so i've yet to warn them.

When I confronted the website owner about my pictures...she told me she didn't think it was a "big deal" so she has no idea what respect means I guess!!

When i first put up my web site i had a few of my photos taken.

A women made a web site and posted about it on a yahoo group asking for opinions on her new web site. Low and behold there were several photos from my web site. All of which you could clearly make out my labels and company logo!! I mean talk about nerve!! I emediately said to her on the list she posted about her web site... its nice and all except i would appreciate you not taking my photos from my web site and claiming them as your own. I said anyone with half a brain can clearly see the labels on those bottles and jars and see that my business name and logo are on them.

I don't think you can get any lower than that do you? Now i also put my business name across the Images as well.

I think in Sherri's case, the picture thief simply cropped the photo so that her watermark got cropped off. In order to prevent that, she would have had to have the watermark in the middle of the photo, but that would obscure her products.

It's not necessarily seen by the naked eye, if you choose it not to be. It actually loads into the site as a filethat is uneditable. There are ways around it, but not so that the average person can get around it.

It can also be placed invised in the center of the pic, or you can make it so light that it covers across your items (think 10% transparency), but is so barely noticeable that people look past it. Unless you are a photoshop genius, you can't very easily remove that mark because you'd have to manipulate it through so many filters and curves, that the pic would actually become distorted.

This sorta displays one of the things I was speaking of:

http://www.all-things-photography.com/add-a-watermark.html

Doing it this way would make it not worth the hassle.

Just an idea though, obviously with pics online there are ways around it, just some harder than others.

The companies i buy my accessories from email me the photos of the products to use but i ask permission and fill out a form to get them.

How hard is it to ask people to use their own images? Its a shame we have to go to such lengths just so someone wont use our own images on their web sites.

Yes it is a shame we have to go to such lengths. If we put a barely noticeable watermark across the middle of our photos, I don't think it will stop the thieves as their customers would barely notice it either. If we put a more visible watermark across the middle of our photos, then it obscures our products and is not so easy for our customers to see what we're selling. If we put the watermark on the edge, the thief can just crop it off. It's a no win situation!

Sherri, if she is still using "borrowed" photos, it might be a good idea to inform her webhosting company (looks like it is yahoo, according to what Roxanne explained) as well as to the etsy management. I'm sure these companies would not look lightly on this type of behavior.

Not that I know how to do any of this, or know where you need to put the code, but I have seen lots of information and downloads of source code that you can add to your site, in order to disable the right click function. It's not foolproof as people can work around it if they have the will, but at least it sends a clear message to the person trying to copy your images that the images are protected and may act as a deterrent to wouldbe image thieves.

Google 'no right click' and heaps of information is available on the subject - I just don't have the time to read it all and disseminate what you actually have to do in simple easy to understand terms. :confused:

I was looking at the IBN or some site yesterday, and I ran across this site:

http://copyscape.com/

Guess you can go there and find out who has copied pages from your site? I have never used it before, so I don't know how complete it is.

HTH

Thanks, real neat and good to know. I just checked mine--I'm good (as far as that scan goes).

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately there is not much you can do about it. There are ways of disabling the right click feature if you know HTML. The other downside is when you go to internet sites the page downloads to your hard drive anyway. You can browse your temporary internet files and still find what you're looking for if you know what you're doing. You might try putting an image more like a watermark with your company name across your image. Make it light enough to see the company name without distorting the original image. HTH.

I think she should have been reported to Etsy anyway. It is a violation of their policies to list your website in your Etsy store. Just like at eBay. Sorry, it's pet peeve of mine when people do that!

I don't like paraffin bashers at all. Why not just write about the joys of soy instead of bashing paraffin especially since the info is wrong? Why do you feel compelled to do this? Maybe all of us using paraffin should start a soy bash on our websites and all over the net stating unfounded and untrue statements.

I use a blend, but that doesn't count, LOL

I second that emotion!

I don't understand stealing photo's...makes no sense. I wonder how well it works for them when they attempt to dupe someone else's product:confused: and I am so happy you posted this. It's been in the back of my mind for a while.