What wax do you use?

Hi, I'm a newbie and very new to candlemaking. I would like to know which wax/brand do you prefer to use for containers? I live only blocks from a warehouse supplier, and I've been contemplating for some time getting into

making them. I purchased a hand poured candle from someone a year ago that scented so well, even though it was unlit. The wax looked very creamy sort of like, well,cream:rolleyes2. I sold about 2-doz candles for her in my business, everyone loved them. However, she moved to Atl. and I have lost contact. I'm unsure about the wax type but I was just curious about the types you prefer.

TIA

I use my own blend of soy (GB 444) and paraffin (IGI 4627).

The one thing about wax is you can test every kind out there (like I have lol). You will find that what may work great for one or many people just doesn't work too well for you.

Be prepared to TEST, TEST, TEST and when you are done TESTING, TEST some more lol.

Just a suggestion... maybe do some research on the ups and downs of making candles. It take a lot of time, research and testing to make a good candle. Not to mention it's rather expensive.

Most of us do it because we love candles and making them. It's an addiction. If you're getting into it for business, it's a good idea to find out what you're getting into ;)

Welcome to the CT board and candle making :)

Oh yeah, I use 4786 ...

You'll get as many opinions as there are people. My preference is J-50, which I tweak a little, but I found it to be excellent alone. It has great cold throw, (that's in the jar, unburned) which is one of the major keys to selling, because if they can't smell it, they won't buy it. However, It also has a good hot throw, is easy to work with, and allows vibrant colors. (something you can't get with soy or soy blends)

There are many waxes, and you'll have to find out for yourself what's best for you, but if you start with J-50, I doubt if you'll be disappointed.

Fredron

Thanx soo much for the replies:smiley2:! I really appreciate your responses, all your info is so informative. I love candles, and always wanted to make them. I have always driven sooo far just to buy the ones I preferred. When I met someone that made them,(they were highly scented the way I love them) I purchased 3-doz from her, 1-doz for myself, 2 to sell in my business. Myself and my clients loved them and wanted more but the lady moved away.:sad2:When I realized the candle supplier I researched online was literally within walking distance, I figured I could try out different waxes without worrying about the cost of shipping.

This community feels like such a great family, I am so happy to have found you. I have lurked here for 8 months or so, and I enjoy how helpful everyone is.:yay: