Starting on containers

Hey all,

Been making pillars and votives for a few years and I am looking to branch out into the container end of things. I am looking to stay with the Astorlite brand as I have a dealer in my backyard so I don't have to pay shipping. Which one do you all recommend, J300, J223, J50 & Astorlite Q? If you go with a different blend which one and why?

Also what is a good size container to start with?

Thanks for all of your help!

I use J223 with a touch of soy. Some use a combo of J50 and J223. You just need to find what you like. As far as containers you need to determine what customers in your area want to buy. Since you are fortunate enough to have a supplier in your backyard take Suzy's suggestions of getting a slab of each to test.

forgot to use spell check LOL

Hey Guys:

I use J223 but would like to know what the difference is between J-300, J-50 and J223. From the descriptions I've read, it says that J223 has enhanced scent throw and the other two don't. So why would anyone want to use the others? Just curious to know what it is that would make someone choose one over the other if one says it throws scent better. Just curious since I haven't tried the J-300 or J-50.

I would suggest sampling them also. I went through the long testing ordeal and than the J223 was no longer available in my area so I had to start over.

As far as containers, I started with the 8oz tumblers and the 51 zincs for most FOs( Votivo type) and LOVED pouring these jars. They are nice and heavy and inexpensive and you can make them very attractive and contemp. AND they are not the usual JJ,Salsa, Mason Jar or Apothocary, Hex or country stuff that you see that everyone else has. I would suggest that you get covers for them if you use the tumblers ( The sticky type works well at Taylored concepts and are really reasonable)..I would never do a container anymore without a lid or cover of some sort. HUGE difference in cold throw over a period of time. I can advise to really decide on what containers you want, and what is available to you (close, because of shipping) before you start your testing. I made the huge mistake ( discovery ) of finding so many cool containers I just HAD to have which just added more and more testing to the line. I have like 10 containers now to keep up with. I do like it that I have all sizes, and believe it or not, the tiny bean pot frosted are huge sellers. The Taureens ( Tyler Candle Type ) are cool because they all have wide tops and come in all sizes so the hot throw is always there. The tins are fun and you dont have to even think about wet spots but I have heard that they dont sell well in some areas. The 16 oz was a bugger to wick ,for me.

So.....I guess I did a good job of confusing the issue. Find a FEW you like, and stick to them!

Other than the 8.5 oz tumblers,

I like these: http://www.soap-making-supplies.com/handler.php?depid=5&catid=22&typeid=88

taureens: http://www.soap-making-supplies.com/handler.php?depid=5&catid=22&typeid=85&PHPSESSID=cafb8d052ea848fd47d710fb3d55e3a5

Michael

The Dallas Dean

Hey Guys:

I use J223 but would like to know what the difference is between J-300, J-50 and J223. From the descriptions I've read, it says that J223 has enhanced scent throw and the other two don't. So why would anyone want to use the others? Just curious to know what it is that would make someone choose one over the other if one says it throws scent better. Just curious since I haven't tried the J-300 or J-50.

You're one step ahead of me, LOL. I read their descriptions and couldn't figure out what the difference was. So, I'm interested to know too.

I have tested both the J50 and J223 and a 50/50 mix of the two. The J223 had a better hot throw for me but the J50 looked better in the jars. Mixing them gave me a great hot throw and less wet spots than the J223 by itself. I have not tested the J300 but it is made to pull completely away from the jar so you don't have to worry about wet spots. I've only tried the Q wax once and it made a great looking candle, but is a little bit more difficult to wick. I agree that you should get a slab of each and try them out. One person's favorite wax is another person's most hated. lol

I have tried many different waxes and did not like any of them so I ended up blending my own.

Like others have suggested sample some and see what you like.

Also remember that not all FO's are created equal. So with that in mind when you test your wax and you don't get a good throw doesen't always mean it's the wax.