Firestarters are SO EASY

I've been reading about firestarters for a while now.

Today I decided that I would buy the pet bedding stuff and try them. Wow...why did I wait so long...easiest thing I've ever made.:smiley2:

What did you do that was so easy? I find them a PITA to make. Very time consuming, have so much stuff to make them but not the time.

They are real easy to make...

Line a muffin tin with paper cupcake liners, fill with ceader pet bedding (1 bag will make hundreds), pour scrap wax over ceader, till full. Wait till completely cool and pop out.

To use...

Loosen an edge of the paper, place between logs, light paper (you don't need a wick), that's it. They will burn for up to 20 minutes.

They are real easy to make...

Line a muffin tin with paper cupcake liners, fill with ceader pet bedding (1 bag will make hundreds), pour scrap wax over ceader, till full. Wait till completely cool and pop out.

To use...

Loosen an edge of the paper, place between logs, light paper (you don't need a wick), that's it. They will burn for up to 20 minutes.

I've done that have a huge bag of the stuff, pine cones, potpourri, rosehips, spice, scent galore and several hundred lbs of wax. Buy the cup cake papers 100,000 at a time so I have everything but they still take sooo much time and are messy. when I put the bedding in the papers it spills all over have to pour really slow. Just thought of something, I use the small muffin paper maybe the larger would be a lot easier. Mmmmmm?

We use them in our indoor fireplace. I don't know about in wood burning stoves though, but would probably check the manual on those.

I would say campfires, firepits, patio burners and indoor fireplaces for sure.

I used the pet bedding from WalMart, the regular size cupcake liners, no wick.

Put the bedding in, pour wax (I just poured so that some of the bedding is sticking out the top).

Wait for them to cool and use or package.

I just made some more using dixie cups. I mixed the bedding in with my wax, then spooned it in the cups. My cups are the 5 oz size, (had them already and no use for 'em).

Today was my first time making these, so I am thinking of all kind of ways to do them. My husband even likes them.

I just made some more using dixie cups. I mixed the bedding in with my wax, then spooned it in the cups. My cups are the 5 oz size, (had them already and no use for 'em).

This is how I do mine also and everyone loves them. I used to make them in the cupcake liners but was told that the wax kept drowning out the flame. :confused: I am not sure as I never had that problem with them done that way. But I guess you try and please the customer and most like them in the dixie cup. And to dress them up for beside a fire place I just mix potpourri with wax and spoon it on top.

I love making firestarters & getting rid of old wax. Instead of buying the pet bedding, I called a local woodwork shop & asked them if I could come by & get a bag of their sawdust. They toss it out & were happy to load up a bag as heavy as I could lift. I pour the sawdust into my melted wax & mix it up till I have a fairly solid ratio. Then I spoon it into my paper muffin cups & put 4 leftover wick pieces in it. I like using more wicks to really get those babies burning. I have saved SO much money not buying commercial firestarters & just love 'em!!

Susan.

These sound like something I'd like to do. Thanks for the info! One question though, do they leave any waxy residue behind? I have a fireplace insert and wondered if they would leave any wax on the floor of the insert? I'd try one but it's in the 80's here and I've already cleaned out the thing til next winter.

These sound like something I'd like to do. Thanks for the info! One question though,
do they leave any waxy residue behind?
I have a fireplace insert and wondered if they would leave any wax on the floor of the insert? I'd try one but it's in the 80's here and I've already cleaned out the thing til next winter.

No, the heat of the fire burns away all the wax.

We use my firestarters in our fireplace all the time. They work great! No need for kindling wood when you have these little guys.

From trial and error, I like to melt my wax, add dye and fo and then I pour my wood shavings right in the pot and mix it all up real good. This method allows ALL the wood to get soaked with wax. The I spoon into regular sized cupcake papers and push down on the coated shavings so they are packed tighter in the papers. If there's left over wax in the bottom of the pot I just akk a little to each cupcake. With this procedure, I keep mixing the soaked wood as I scoop them out. If they happen to cool off too much, I just heat the mixture a tad.

HTH

PS: I've also discovered that too much wax in the cupcake paper WILL leave a wax residue in your fireplace. THUS, mixing wax and shavings together in a pot!! This will eliminate that problem.

This is SO wild. My husband just bought a lathe about a month ago, and he's nearly finished filling an entire garbage can of shavings of all kinds (most are oak or purpleheart.) I'll pass the instructions along to him, because evidently they're discussing it on the wood turner's forum as well!

Kelly

I use soy wax, can you make the firestarters with that or do you need paraffin wax? Also do any of you put FO in them? Thanks

Any wax will work.

I do add Cinnamon FO (to the scrap wax) to some of them. I package the scented ones seperate. That way they act as potpourri when placed in a basket by the fireplace, before they are used. The scent is useless when burned in the fireplace. I also charge more for the scented ones.

I only make them with scrap wax, never new wax. By the time winter rolls around, here, I have more than enough scrap wax, to make what I sell.

Ah! Ha! Now I know what I'm going to do with all the cheap Wal-Mart candles I've got laying around!!! (Cause you know once I start pouring my own I'll never touch them again.) Plus it will give me something to do til my wax gets here!

Im doing a summer show in July. I have never made a fire starter, but I do have a bunch of scrap wax lying around. Should I take some and display them as camp fire starters for the show? How much do you charge for a fire starter? Would I go with the un scented first? I don't think people would want scented for a camp fire.