well thats them ruined!

talk about stupid!!

I haven't made any candles for 2 days, having to have a major clean up and tidy of the house ready for pictures for estate agent.

so........ 2 days ago, I put my 6 votive moulds and 10 tart moulds in a large glass jug and poured boiling water on them, with the intention of leaving them to soak a little.

I kept looking and thinking I'll do those in a min, but never got round to it.

They are now all covered in rust spots which I can't get off :( and still waxy/greasy

I'm gutted! and stupid :embarasse

Awwwwww...............All you had to do was warm them up and wipe them out with paper towels. I did that washing thing once and rusted a bunch of them. So now, my equipment never touches water. They should be ok to use though just heat them up and wipe out the residue.

I had them on a tray just now to go in the oven, but rang my dad first. He said wire wool or sand paper and wd40. But first I'm going to try some wax.

I've melted down a load of old wax and am going to pour into the votives and melt moulds, see if it doesn't bring some of the rust colour of with it.

Cross ya fingers :)

cant believe I did it, what a muppet!

I did something really silly too not so long ago. I had washed out a whole load of polycarbonate moulds, dried them and I put them in the oven to get ride of any left over wax. Put them in at 50, left them, forgot about them, went to make the dinner turned the over up to 180 and only remembered the moulds where still in them when I smelled the burning plastic.

I had a round mould in there and honestly when I took them out they looked like a couple of silicone breast implants!! The pillars just turned into blobs - needless to say I haven't done that again.

And good luck with the estate agents.

Lisa

:mad:

Ive never done the oven thing with molds, but once put a cake in there. That had taken all day to make Oreo cream filling, Home made buttercream frosting. I have a sheperd and a Golden so I put it in the oven while I stepped out. Well needless to say the cake did not need to be baked again. I cryed when I realized what I had done. So weve all done something not thinking

I had them on a tray just now to go in the oven' date=' but rang my dad first. He said wire wool or sand paper and wd40. But first I'm going to try some wax.

I've melted down a load of old wax and am going to pour into the votives and melt moulds, see if it doesn't bring some of the rust colour of with it.

Cross ya fingers :)

cant believe I did it, what a muppet![/quote']

I lost 50 votive moulds this way - all soaking in a sink. I then decided water was a rather crap way to clean them, so fill both of my ovens with my new batch of 50 moulds - and then forgot about them and they all turned black and were unusable.

Now I turn them upside down on a piece of kitchen towel, and heat the base with my heatgun for 8 to 10 seconds each and then using a wad of towel i pick up the hot ones and wipe out with kitchen towel.

I am so glad I happened by this post. I have some metal molds I made I coffee scented/brown colored candle in yesterday. I am making an aqua color/ocean scented today and didn't want an ocean/coffee, brown/aqua candle. I used palm wax, and that stuff just breaks and slides out so good, but no chances. The oceans are gifts. So to the oven I go. Thanks all. :cheesy2:

-Aimee

Now I turn them upside down on a piece of kitchen towel, and heat the base with my heatgun for 8 to 10 seconds each and then using a wad of towel i pick up the hot ones and wipe out with kitchen towel.

Yep this is how I clean my molds too. Nothing ever touches water and I refuse to drag them up and down the stairs to clean them in the oven. Besides one day I left a metal mold in the oven too long and the solder melted...lol...oops.

i've unmoulded them and the rust has come off onto the votives and melts :( but its still on moulds too.

Will try wd40 tomorrow.

how daft am I' date=' stupid stupid stupid :angry2:[/quote']

you can never fully get the rust off. I've tried. I used WD40, metal polish and silicone spray and the rest never completely comes off - and it's really noticeable on white candles. You may well have ruined your moulds, but I guess it's a lesson learnt - at least it wasn't pillar moulds - which are MUCH more expensive.

I am about to order some metal votive moulds and have them sent over here with some other bits and pieces - if you want to add to my order then this will save you postage costs - I doubt a few votive moulds are going to add any weight to my order so once I've decided on what I'm getting - I can let you know where I'm getting them and how much they are - but I think they're no more than $1 each.

Nat

Why oh why do some companies send the metal melt molds with the bar code stickers on them?!?! I tried soaking them off and drying them in the oven......you guessed it, rust! So then I decide I am going to use goo-gone to get the stickers off.....well, it took MOST of the sticker off, but not the adhesive, so now when I use them, they stick to the foil I put them on while pouring. Not so great when I go to do my second pour.....I pour one, then go to move another mold next to it to do that second pour and it is stuck to foil, so everything moves...what a mess!

Ohhhhhh, it really annoys me every single time I have to use them! :mad:

Sorry you ended up with rust on yours.....ours didn't end up being too bad by the time I caught them, so they are still usable.

Don't be discouraged at all. If I had a dime for every time I made a mistake similar to this, I wouldn't have to work. Just breathe deep, relax the mind, calm down and work the problem.

You're probably going to have some rust stick to the candles and some that won't. Take the ones with the rust and set them off to the side to use as test candles. I've done this before myself and was able to get the rust out of the molds and the batch is not a complete waste. Use the WD-40 and make sure to really wipe them down and out, you don't want that stuff to be on the candles.

It's not that hard and believe me, there's people that has done this before, chalk it up as a learning experience and you'll be fine! :-)

Don't feel bad, I am sure I have done worse, I put mine in the dishwasher. :tiptoe:

I blame the people who make them, why do they make them from cheap tacky old tin that goes rusty with one glimpse of water? :P