Pinholes, pinholes everywhere! Help?

Ok, first in the pillars, can anyone tell me why I'd be getting pinholes just in the tops - no where else. I'm pouring slowly and at around 185-190 (1343).

Then in the votives: In fact, I almost think it's actually the mold because I have one strip of votives from which I don't get any pinholes. I've tried pouring hotter, colder. No luck. Using 4794. Could the molds be reacting to the wax and FO? I'm stuck...and getting really behind on my orders. Any suggestions? TIA

Agree with TLC, but you can get the pinholes when you pour into a cool mold. Not talking refridgerated, but just from pouring in a cool room where molds have sat out. I get those pits sometimes from pouring into cool mold. What has worked for me is to pour just enough to cover the bottom of the mold, where there's a very thin layer that develops cuz of heat hitting cold, you can zap it with a heat gun. Melt that crust in a second or two and it will release that air. You can also take a chop stick and run it along the bottom to release the air. I think occurs from how you pour into the mold. You could try altering the way you pour and see how that happens as well.

I'm going to try not heating the votive molds and pouring cooler. We don't have the AC on so it's not cold. Still not sure what to do about the pillars. It's definitely not how I pour so it's got to be the temp. Will keep you posted. Thanks for your help!

I was having problems with pin holes in my votives and some pillars, and topofmurrayhill advised me to clean my molds by spraying generously with wd40, let sit for a minute, then wipe out, them spray generously with mold release or PAM, let sit for a minute, then wipe out. Ever since then, I havent had any problems with pinholes. You might want to try that, because the pouring different temps did nothing to help me with my problem. So good luck! :wink2:

It can be a vexing problem these pinholes because different things cause them under various circumstances.

The occasional deep cleaning fixes the problem for me with the standard steel votive cups and the 4794 blend. I think some oxidation accumulates on the surface of these molds that 4794 doesn't like and the cleaning procedure removes it. The same thing worked for Scentedmoon when I suggested it and it's liable to work for you too.

On the other hand, that doesn't work reliably for me with aluminum molds. In my experience the residue from previous pours seems to condition those. Sometimes I'll get pitting on the top of a pillar with a mold that's new or cleaned, but if I simply wipe it out with a paper towel subsequent pours will be perfect.

I have yet to figure out what causes pin holes(pitting) or the best way to prevent them for good. The only thing I have figured out, is that they're not trapped air bubbles. The wax was perfectly translucent and you could see all the way to the bottom of the mold. There wasn't any place that air was trapped against the mold. In my case I was preheating my molds too much. I didn't want the wax to film over at the sides and make air bubbles so I ended up going too far in the other direction :rolleyes2

I would love to hear a technical reason for these. Has anyone ever heard of any kind of explanation?

I ran into this problem also. I have this candy thermometer that you get with a starter kit and that sucker wasnt reading right!! My wax temp was way to high as I checked it with a digital one as some of the people have here. I also use the wd40 wipe it out,,spray with pam wipe it out BUT I was still getting pinholes. make sure your thermometer is working properly also JMO;)

Guest ShellyRobyn

I absolutely have to heat my molds, both pillars and votives or I get pinholes. OR.... if I heat them too much I get pinholes. Tempermental little buggers!!:angry2: