RRD in a 3" tumbler

I am interested to hear the final results also. I've come to the conclusion that there is always something lacking in whatever wick I try. Just like KandleKrazy said, if I get a perfect melt pool in just the right amount of time for my container that wick might have some mushrooming or it might smoke a little. If I use a wick that doesn't produce mushrooming then the melt pool might not be what I would like or the hot throw isn't as good as another type of wick. I have yet to make or purchase a perfect candle. It is always a trade off in one or more areas. We can get as close to perfect as possible and keep striving for perfection but there is always just one little thing that could be better. ;)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update!

LX24 (NST2) is too big I think. It has a perfect meltpool but the flame is a little large and my god - DOUBLE MUSHROOMS that are HUGE!

I thought this wick was supposed to be self trimming and mushroom free. There is absolutely NO curl to this wick, it doesn't self trim and has the biggest mushrooms of all I've tried.

The scent throw is pretty awesome though - but as I said before, I'm using FO that is just superb so it would throw if I used the metal arial off my car.

Ordered some standard LX 24 and LX22 waxed wicks - so will see if they 24 non nst2 burns differently or if the LX22 works better.

So I take it you gave up on the RRD's. I personally don't like the LX wicks, MP and HT is awesome, but they leave way too much wick poop in the wax and they shroom sooo big. I was hoping the RRD's were better...back to the drawing board. HTP 105's aren't even reaching the side in 4 hours...I thought I'd have a towering inferno...I can still touch the top of the glass...we'll see on the 2nd burn what happens. I thought the square containers were tough, this 3" straight sided round is crazy!

so far, the RRD have been my favorite - but even the 55 just didn't get to the edge until about the 4th burn. The scent throw, flame and performance is just brilliant but the melt pool is disappointing at best.

Am going to try the LX 22 and then try a CD 20

Very interesting reading henryk - but the wicks you were using were much bigger than the ones I've been using - i've found the LX24 is too big and the CD22 will be too big also. I'm using a 70/30 soy paraffin mix and if I tried an LX 30 it would just be far too big.

Strange!

HTP 105 is still 1/4-1/2 in from sides after 2nd 4 hour burn...tested that one myself. I gave the medium cotton wick to my sister-in-law to test and she hasn't reported back, but I'm thinking NOT if the 105 didn't make it. I'm gonna double wick this puppy today. I bought several cases of these tumblers and they've gotta work with something!

Double wicked with 2 HTP 52's... 1 1/2 hours into the burn...almost full MP and is not burning too hot...this might be the ticket on this stubborn tumber...I hate to double wick, but if that's what it takes to get this one to burn right, so be it.

Natty, all I can say is bless your heart lol I am curious about something, what is the weather like over there? I know my wicking changes in the summer vs. winter but not THAT drastic lol

I wish you were having as easy of a time as I have had wicking my 3 inch jars but I am keeping my fingers crossed for you!!!

I couldn't imagine double wicking a 3 inch jar myself but everyone is different and if it works for them, great :grin2:

I avoid double wicking like the plague. If I can't get a jar wicked with one wick, I won't use the jar :laugh2:

Just want to make sure I haven't gotten lost here...you are double wicking a 3inch diameter container?

I did double wick it, haven't done a 3rd burn yet...2nd started to get weak toward the 4 hour mark. I can't get any wick, except the LX26 to work in this container and I really hate that wick its way too messy. Haven't tried RRD's, but I think Nattty had problems getting them to work. If you go back in the post and look at Henry's pics, he had to use an LX 30 to wick the straight sided round 3". This one is just a tad bigger than 3"...it's a bugger!

I did double wick it, haven't done a 3rd burn yet...2nd started to get weak toward the 4 hour mark. I can't get any wick, except the LX26 to work in this container and I really hate that wick its way too messy. Haven't tried RRD's, but I think Nattty had problems getting them to work. If you go back in the post and look at Henry's pics, he had to use an LX 30 to wick the straight sided round 3". This one is just a tad bigger than 3"...it's a bugger!

3rd burn it drown out after about 1 1/2 hours...back to the drawing board on this one...have to use those 3 cases of glass and I'm never buying these again unless I find that perfect wick. Maybe I'll just use the LX and tell everyone that they need to keep these trimmed every couple of hours.

JMO here I never got any wick other than a VERY large size to totally melt all of the wax from the sides on the first few burns. I didn't like the really large wicks because they tend to smoke alot, at least in my testing they did. Most of the time with a smaller size wick I had some wax on the sides until the candle burned down past the middle. If I used a very large wick to get every little bit of wax from the sides right from the start the size of the flame was huge and really caused problems as the candle burned down. When using some of the very large sizes I got black soot when the candle burned past the middle. This was a major problem with the larger RRD's and the flame size on the large LX's was HUGE!:shocked2: I think a lot depends on the type of wax you are using in the container. I tested one wax that burned more down than out to the sides. So I would end up with melt pools that were too deep but not reaching all the way to the sides of the container. When testing another wax I didn't have that problem. To me it was a trade off on which feature was more important because I never could get pefect results.

Still cheering you on Natty!

Natty,

Are you finished testing this one yet?

I went on a wick hunt...actually organized all my wicks, again, and found some 60c's so I tried it, like Henryk suggested. It got a big shroom on the first burn but almost made it to the sides in about 2 hours. I trimmed and it's doing great. Even if it shrooms up each time, it's not leaving the mess in the wax I was getting with the LX 26. I have never yet had a wick catch up on the sides after it's 1/2 way down in a container this size, maybe in a smaller container it would. I feel like I'm cheating my customer if the entire candle burns leaving 1/8 - 1/4" of wax on the sides. I'm convinced after I use up these cases, I'm not buying these containers again.

Well I've definitely had a wick catch up on the sides after it's 1/2 way down in a container this size. I don't find a 3 inch container to be that large but I've never had 1/8 or 1/4 inch of wax left on the sides. I was refering to a much smaller amount left on the sides of my containers with the first few burns. I do agree that larger sizes in the LX make the wax a mess.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd best update!

CD20 is my wick of choice. It burns simply beautifully with my wax blend and fragrance. Thank god I'm only pouring one fragrance in this tumbler for the time being - I don't think my little ticker could take another round of this testing.

Results of this testing are in the candle gallery.

Good for you! How do you think the CD wick compares in scent throw to the RRD?

the scent throw on the CD and RRD are about the same - better than any other wick I tried including LX, Eco & Hemp. The CD mushrooms more than the RRD - but on a power burn, the mushrooming on both candles was the same except the RRD left the rim of the glass black and the CD didn't.

Also - the RRD 55 started to struggle in the lower half of the tumbler - when there was only about quarter of the wax left the RRD55 flame got a lot smaller and altho there was a full melt-pool the flame just looked a bit small.

Nat

Thanks for sharing your final results. Doesn't it feel great to finally have it resolved! Good for you. I've been pretty happy with the 62C in these tumblers, or should I say it's been the best burn so far? I didn't try any CD wicks. I'm still hoping my square jars come in so I don't have to keep using these buggers.