Scents that don't rock in cp.

Crystala25

I know there is a thread about scents that rock in cp soap, but what about the scents that don't. :undecided I searched for some scents that I was about to try, but didn't find anything so I tried them anyways and some just don't turn out very pretty. I love my sugar cookie fo in everything, lotions, scrubs, etc. But, I really wanted to try it in soap, bad idea. First of all, it was very slow to trace, then it got a few air bubbles on top, and now it is a dark brown color and doesn't smell the same.

I've also come to realize that if I have a scent that I don't like very much, I just soap it and I tend to like it more. :confused:

What scents do you dislike in cp soap?

I tried to soap Butter Brickle from NG. UM.....I'm not sure what the smell morphed into. But it wasn't sweet anymore that's for sure.

Mojito just lost it all for me too. Which is a bummer. I love how snappy that fragrance is.

Well that stands to reason on the sugar cookie turning brown since it's a vanilla fragrance.

I think there have been a few attempts at doing something like this, but it falls back from lack of interest, maybe. I'd love a list and broken out by supplier just like the ones that do work.

Well that stands to reason on the sugar cookie turning brown since it's a vanilla fragrance.

I think there have been a few attempts at doing something like this, but it falls back from lack of interest, maybe. I'd love a list and broken out by supplier just like the ones that do work.

The thing is the top is still brown and the bottom is not? I just undid the mold a few minutes ago and this is what it looks like? Looks like it didn't finish gelling (its been 48 hrs).

post-4834-139458426327_thumb.jpg

post-4834-139458426331_thumb.jpg

I did Peaks Coconut Banana Blast and it turned a VERY DARK brown. I could have delt with that but when I took a bar into the shower even the lather was brown and it makes a big brown mess in my shower when I leave it sitting on the soap ledge. HHMMM...maybe with the brown lather I could sell it as a wonderful after tanning soap :rolleyes2

I'm not sure, but the bottom and middle will probably turn darker as the air gets to it. I found this true with my "Chocolate Latte" soap that was GREEN in the middle when I cut it, but once the air got to it, it changed to dark brown. Still smelled great!! :yay:

The thing is the top is still brown and the bottom is not? I just undid the mold a few minutes ago and this is what it looks like? Looks like it didn't finish gelling (its been 48 hrs).

I have batch of a vanilla based FO that started like yours out of the mold too, very dark on the top and light on the bottom.

It has been about 3 weeks now and it is almost solid brown. The bottom of yours will catch up to the top, it will just take a while.

Also mine was a stinky smell at first and now it has started to smell more like a true vanilla. I guess these just take a while. Mine was a really soft recipe. I wonder if that makes a difference.

I'm not sure, but the bottom and middle will probably turn darker as the air gets to it. I found this true with my "Chocolate Latte" soap that was GREEN in the middle when I cut it, but once the air got to it, it changed to dark brown. Still smelled great!! :yay:

Yanno I've had that happen lots of times, when I cut it, the middle will be alot lighter & change.

I personally don't consider a discoloration by the FO of being one that doesn't rock in CP. I can work with a discoloration. I would look more to how strong the FO comes through and if it changes/morphs for the bad to make my list of FOs that don't rock in CP. With that being said, right now, off the top of my head, I can't think of any but someone just recently posted that Peaks' mango morphed horribly and didn't smell so good in CP. My problems with FOs have been more of those that lose their scent than anything. Luckily, they have been few and far between.

i agree with Meridith the only ones that the color change i would list is the ones that turn black like sweet pea it did end up selling but it was black. The scent remaining strong is the most important thing to me.

I would suggest you look to (and contribute to) The Scent Review Board http://scentreviewboard.obisoap.ca/. There is information about things like acceleration (which can often be dealt with so doesn't necessarily mean an FO doesn't rock), discoloration (same deal), fading (which does suck), morphing (which can be good or bad)...

Coconut Banana Blast is one of my alltime favorite FOs and many don't mind the color. Peak's Mediterranean Fig will rice if temps are not kept cool. Oh and I did a Mango I love and I could swear it was from Peak (gonna have to go home and check).

It wasn't just the color that was bad, the sweet smell completly disappeared and changed into something not so sweet. I don't mind the color change, I love when vanilla bars turn brown, I just didn't understand why I had the two toned look after so long. Usually if my vanilla darkens it does it within the first 48 hrs and this one just went through a different process than I'm used to. I will have to check out the scent review board.

Oh and I did a mango two days ago which was from bcn, the smell comes through so well.

I personally don't consider a discoloration by the FO of being one that doesn't rock in CP. I can work with a discoloration. I would look more to how strong the FO comes through and if it changes/morphs for the bad to make my list of FOs that don't rock in CP. With that being said, right now, off the top of my head, I can't think of any but someone just recently posted that Peaks' mango morphed horribly and didn't smell so good in CP. My problems with FOs have been more of those that lose their scent than anything. Luckily, they have been few and far between.[/quote

I can deal with a little discoloration too, but this turned so dark it almost looks black. I makes dark lather and stains washcloths, so JMHO it doesn't rock in cp

It isn't that I don't like it but Sweetcakes Brown Sugar and Fig was a CP disaster for me. Here is a link from an old post and the photo that is used is exactly what happened to my batch.

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15128&highlight=Brown+sugar+Fig+fiasco

Also KY FO haven't worked well for me at all. To their credit they have a message that they are not CP tested. I just tried a few on my own in hopes that it would work.

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27157&highlight=brown+sugar+fig

I can deal with a little discoloration too, but this turned so dark it almost looks black. I makes dark lather and stains washcloths, so JMHO it doesn't rock in cp

If I ever had one that discolored that bad, I too wouldn't think it was great in CP. Thankfully, I've never seen that happen though.

Meridith, I sure wish I knew why this one turned sooo dark. I knew it was a discolorer but wow! I don't know if it was something to do with my recipe (although I have used the same reecipe for tons of batchs) and have had some that say they discolor but they always turn out a lovely tannish color so who knows. I just know that I have 15 bars of this soap that I don't think I would be able to sell :embarasse

Meridith, I sure wish I knew why this one turned sooo dark. I knew it was a discolorer but wow! I don't know if it was something to do with my recipe (although I have used the same reecipe for tons of batchs) and have had some that say they discolor but they always turn out a lovely tannish color so who knows. I just know that I have 15 bars of this soap that I don't think I would be able to sell :embarasse

When I soap Pink Sugar or recently, my almond vanilla, they turn almost black too but they don't stain the washrag. I usually will do a blind swirl with these FOs. That is just the pits that your soap has done that! Perhaps you can cut it up and add it as colored chunks to another batch?

It isn't that I don't like it but Sweetcakes Brown Sugar and Fig was a CP disaster for me. Here is a link from an old post and the photo that is used is exactly what happened to my batch.

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15128&highlight=Brown+sugar+Fig+fiasco

Also KY FO haven't worked well for me at all. To their credit they have a message that they are not CP tested. I just tried a few on my own in hopes that it would work.

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27157&highlight=brown+sugar+fig

Sweetcakes Brown Sugar and Fig was a disaster for me too, (and just about everyone else that used it.) Another flop is the Coriander. Total CP disaster. I like SC and quite a few of their oils that do wonderfully in CP, but I do wish they would put testing results under each and every fragrance, especially at those prices. I also wish they would ship in plastic bottles and let us transfer the fragrances into glass bottles at our own discretion so that shipping would not cost and arm and leg and half an ass cheek for those heavy bottles.