What is UP with shows?????

I have only had two so far this year, but they have both been so below what I did previously last year and the years before.

I had a show about three weeks ago. Last year and previous years I had a TON in sales. Each year had gotten progressively better since I started this show about four years ago, so I have to say I was going into this show pretty cocky. :P This year I made about 65% percent of what I did last year. That'll teach me, huh?

This past weekend I did a show where I have ALWAYS done well over $2000. I put pen to paper and this show, I made 55% of that. I know that is still decent, but totally NOT what I have been used to from this show that I have been doing for six years now.

I was not just me. All the "regulars" at both of these shows were saying how it was the same for them. There were tons of people, but if you started looking around, no one was carrying bags. I have heard similar from those I know who do other shows around the state.

I usually do mostly cash, then an equal amount of checks and CCards with the checks sometimes outweighing the CCards. For the show I did three weeks ago, I had something like 65 CCard transactions and 13 checks. My cash was at a lower ratio too. Same thing this past weekend. I guess people are living more off of cards because of gas prices? Not as much discretionary income? Who knows but I hope it changes!

I just did a show that was a bomb :( I wasn't too disappointed as it was a new show, they had never done it before. The only redeeming thing was I got noticed by this group that does a really upscale show here each year. I have never seen them advertise for vendors and they have been doing a boutique show for 20 years. They asked for some sample products last week and I got accepted in the show today--so I guess that one was not a total loss :) The other show is not till October though, so will be scouting out some more (after I told myself last year no more shows LOL).

I hope this isn't indicative of the year to come though, I am meeting with a lady who owns a gift shop who is looking for wholesale products. It may just be the way for me to go.

I think it's gas prices and peoples salaries not keeping pace with the general cost of most things. I haven't noticed a big decline in attendance at shows, but the crowds are more discretionary in their spending.

I also think that candles have seen the height of it's popularity with the general public. There has been large influx of candle makers over the past few years all trying to make it rich quick. Now you see a large decline in candle makers as they are finding out it's not. It reminds me of the earlier auction site days, when they were springing up left and right all thinking they would be the next ebay. I think there are only a few left and even Yahoo Auctions is throwing in the towel.

Until gas prices go down and peoples salaries catch up with the cost of living, I don't see it getting any better, in fact it will most likely get worse before it gets better.

Glad I'm not in it for the money or I would have given it up long ago.

I agree that the price of gas makes a large difference. My shows are in line with last years shows, but our store traffic with my out of town customers has dropped off. They are opting to place web orders instead of driving to the shop.

Most crafters/chandlers I have talked to over the last year have noticed a dramatic drop in sales and its all due to the economy. Plus I have to agree with Pinetree on the fact that there has been a huge influx of people making candles and I think the public is just bored with it.... but it fluctuates, so maybe in a year or so, it will pick back up...

With gas prices over the $3 mark and the analyists saying close to $4 by summer I think that people just don't have the disposable income they did even a year ago. I live in a rural farming/summer tourist area and I know that businesses around here are pretty worried that with the gas prices the "lake people" won't be able to afford to be up here every weekend, and those of us that have farms and drive trucks are now looking at a $100 dollar bill to fill our gas tanks each week :shocked2: I guess I am glad I make candles and soap and don't have to buy from someone else!

I, too, had gotten a little bit cocky about a show May 4-5. This is my fourth year to do the show and it's always been a very good one for me. This year I took in almost exactly half what I normally have done at this show. And I was one of the lucky ones--one lady I spoke with had sold nothing in the early afternoon of the second day.

The only person who really did well was the lady next to me, who was selling iced coffee--people were stading in lines 6-deep to buy that coffee! But she has a restaurant and bakery in the town and children at the school where the show was held, so everyone knows her, and at least half her customers were the high school kids that knew her and her product. I told her that I'll bet next year there'll be 10 people trying to sell iced coffee!

I just had a terrible show to. I just made table money back, My husband was so disgusted that we ended up in a huge fight. Older vendors said that the sales have declined greatly over the years. Thiis elderly couple who made frames told me storys of how they roofed thier house. Went on vacation and paid off the car. All on one years profit from shows. They do about 8 bigger shows a year. He was so cute when he said Look at it this way it can only go up right. I sure hope so,I thought it was just me. Now I now its every where Good Luck To All

I think that people everywhere are just a little bit more careful in their spending at the moment. With the cost of gas being one of the reasons. Around here (Seattle) gas averages $3.46 a gallon for unleaded. In fact, I just told my husband that I think that we should get a car for me to drive around on the weekdays since my truck only gets about 8 mpg. The savings in gas will pay for the car payments.

I set up a booth at horse shows most weekends with my custom horse show clothing, and have been told by other vendors that they are not selling anywhere near what they usually do. I have been very lucky that I am having a record breaking year, though I do have a very loyal customer base that has just really grown this year. In fact, I have had to cancel shows for the next month so I can get caught up with my orders.

One of the reasons I think that I am so busy is that I really strive to make a high quality product. There is another vendor in my area whose clothing is very poor quality, and cheap, that usually people will order from her once, then they come to me next time. My customers know that I am not cheap, but do know that they will get a great product in a timely manner. Even though I have been doing custom clothing for 15 years, I think there is still a lot for me to learn, so I took some classes last year at the New York Fashion Academy. It was very expensive ($2200. for 3 months) but I did learn a few things, which I think are reflected in my clothing. So never stop learning, and do the best job you can. People do remember poor quality work, and the word does get around.

Customer service is also very important. People gravitate to happy, smiling, energenic people who pay attention to them, then someone who may look grumpy, tired, or have their nose in a book. Though I will say that I do bring a horse magazine or 2 with me to read if I am bored, but put them down as soon as someone comes in my booth. Also, I try to remember to bring a bowl of candy, and a small garbage can so people do take the time to open the candy and put the wrappers in the garbage. At the same time that they are doing this, they are looking over my products. And I feel that the candy puts them more in the mood to buy something.

This is a couple things that works for me. I hope that there might be an idea or two that you can use.

Good Luck,

Shannon

High gas prices and increased minimum payments on credit cards hit a lot of people hard I'm sure.

Another thing about craftshows, there are so many craft stores and on-line outlets that are selling do-it-yourself candlemaking kits and b&b kits, that a lot of people no longer have a need to go to shows anymore.

I think that some of the shows themselves have declined in quality because of the vendors they accept. I don't know how that happens--if it's because attendance declines and therefore popular vendors pull out and inferior ones move in, or if inferior vendors move in and attendance declines.

I must be the lone one here. I keep thinking that the rise in gas prices is going to kill us at these shows, but God bless, we've made back at least what we did the previous year. Shocker. Honestly. I thought with gas prices in the $3 range (now $3.29 here and likely $3.39 by the weekend) that it would axe spending. It hasn't, but we're in our third year of shows and as I understand it ... crowds are down and so are show sales.

I agree with the person who said there was such a boon in candle sales and people who want to get rich quick. There were four at our last show, four the week before (I believe) and probably not as many this weekend.

I think we'll see a decline in a lot of vendors of all kinds, but why can't the Mia Bella redistributors be the ones to vanish lol.

Sorry things are down for you VE. I think once our gas prices exceed $3.40 we're going to be lucky to sell at a show. I know my spending has been somewhat curtailed by the economy and I'm likely to become a tight wad as the year goes on. So if it's happening to me, it's happening or already happened to others. I think this past weekend it was more a competition between between price than product.

I know almost every show that I am doing this year all the vendor fees have doubled. So we all know who is making money. I spoke with some people putting on the shows this year and they said they have received about 10-15 candle and/or soap people wanting an application, which is alot for any show. Since I have been doing shows I have seen candle & soapmakers saturate the market.

So far I have been very lucky by making 10 X plus my space fee. I have been the only soapmaker at 2 of them and at one I was the only one with b&b the other 2 soapers were m&p. 1 was a big festival, 1 a car show, the other a medium size show. There were quite a few who did not make anything. I talked to the chandlers at the festival and most complained they were not even making their fee.

i'm so glad gas prices aren't to bad out here $2.70 for the most part and considering we live not to far from the shore were counting out blessings on that.

i think craft shows are starting to become a dying art. maybe that will change. economy in general is rough right now

Hey chicka....did you not get my voice mail? I am slowly coming on to Kimberly's band wagon. I got that BIG store in that town!!!! I am just waiting for her first order. :yay: I met with her on Wednesday and she was very impressed. Whoooo hooooo! So I may be ditching shows if I get too many stores. Oh drats, huh? :laugh2:

VE...thats why I preach to you...say it with me...WHOLESALE!!!!!

I refuse to do shows...too much like work!

As soon as I get some organization to my storage room in our new house - that is going to be my goals is to get more accounts....I have one major account if you call her that -but she orders very large orders (100s) and refers friends, etc. My most recent referral from her is her friend that works at SBA (go figure!)

I just traded my Trailblazer in yesterday for an new Impala because I don't plan on doing shows any more - between the time to prepare, set up and stand there with my hourly rate at both jobs - there are times I would make more money sitting at work....and if I decide to we also have a new Avalanche I can load up - hehehe

I think it is a combination of things that are hurting show sales. I like to talk to people (vendors and customers). Here are the things they tell me. Number one is the small numbers of vendors who sell home-crafted items. Most of the things at the shows around here (central Texas) are "made in China". Many vendors have the same mdse. The hand-crafted items still sell, but the customers are tired of seeing the same things show after show, so they go somewhere else. Plus, the sheer number of festivals, fairs and shows has increased a lot. We did the show scene for years, and I believe the number has doubled. The small town we used to live in had two shows a year six years ago; now they have five. Another town we used to sell at also had two shows a year and now have four. The crowds have more to choose from. If there is nothing new, no gimmick, they move on to a new show or one with something different. I don't really here that gas prices really and truly restrict anyone.

I have been able to get into shows now that haven't been able to get in 2-3 months before the date. Sometimes longer. For candles (especially)I think it is dying down. Not people who make them but those who get into the shows. My sales stay the same and not great but still fair.

Not sure about spring shows because I am doing one this week-end and my first spring one. Will see how it goes.I have some new things but nothing that I think will go over big. Just a change.

After reading this post I am a little skeptical on how this week-end goes.

LynnS

Yeah and people moving to NJ just for the gas lol.

the gas prices aren't worth living out here IMO lol.

i'm amazed at how high the prices are in sorrounding areas.. like voorhees is and hour away from here and their prices are almost if not over $3. this seems to be the cheaper area in NJ. but that'll change come summer. thats when we get it. all the flippin vacationers.

There are often too many shows, and the same old stuff at each one. There are too many people who love the idea of having their own business, and think that all they have to do is make something and sell it, and the money will flow in. At a recent small show in our area, there were about 10 jewelery makers, out of about 20 vendors. A lot of them just strung cheap beads on string, and thought they would be easy to sell.

Quality has gone down, and many shows will accept ANYONE, even if they claim to be juried. The last big show I did was loaded with junk from China, as far as I know that does not qualify as NS crafts. This stuff is usually cheap cheap cheap, and this turns craft fairs into competition for flea markets, which is not what they should be. People expect to be able to buy bags full of stuff for nothing, and this makes it hard for those people who produce quality crafts and have to charge a fair amount.

Also, there are now so many craft fairs, everyone and their great aunt seems to have come up with this "novel" idea of having a craft fair to raise money. Many of them are overpriced and badly run.

Hi, I agree with Doris. I have done a variety of shows. Some are a joke, no advertisement. All they do is put flyers on telephone polls, and a few signs on lawns. That is not worth the space fees they charge, they let any one in. The one show was selling home interior candles. How is that?? I was so mad, I will never do that show again. However Thier is a company called Premier Promotions who comes to NY 4x a year. I do 3 out of 4 shows. The one show I am on the waiting list. This company advertises alot. They give you breakfast in the morning. Bagels coffee, etc. Then after the first day is over they give you a beautiful dinner. (free)Its so nice to sit and talk to all the other vendors.At the show Premier Promotion staff walks around and are so friendly and helpful.They even thank you for doing the show. Thier is no junk at these shows, they really do jury..How many times has anyone done a show and never met the people who were running it??It truly does have a huge impact on sales, as to how the show is set up. As vendors I think we should start speaking up. When someone is selling junk lets try and find the person who is running the show and demand an explanation? What do you all think??