has any tried plastic molds from pourette?

hello everyone, i was wondering if anyone has tried those plastic molds from pourette. the ones that are a specific shape like unicorns, horses, etc. anyhow i'm thinking bout trying them but not sure how to wick them cause of the odd shape are you still trying to get a well like you do w/pillars (which would be difficult) or are they more for decoration than burning. this question is not specific for pourette molds just any specific shaped molds period. any help would be helpful. if you do try to get the well how would you measure the size wick you need cause of the candle being different sizes.

thanks Audrey

ah man, there were other things i wanted to get. i know there is a place but just wondering what size wick because of the different sizes in the candle itself. makes it hard to choose size. but thanks for the heads up on pourette. :grin2:

audrey

Generally you get a wick sample in your packs. If you don't like the wick and how it performs, well it would be up to you to test different wicks till you found one you liked ;) I think they all come with some size of square braid. Rarely see a flatbraid, but I have seen them.

I wanted to get their "spool candle" mold, but that's evidently not going to be for a while. I don't think anyone else even sells them.

So if you have a picture or can describe it to a silicone mold maker, get one made that way maybe.

The shaped molds do have an indent to put the wick in. Personally, I tape it in place as well so I can pull it tight.

As for wicking and proper burning, depending on the shape, they are mostly for decoration. Some people will burn them, but most don't seem to. Odd shapes, like flat and wide, are nearly impossible to get a "proper" burn as normal pillars. Virtually all of mine will spill over the side unless I use something like a votive wick, then often they will anyway.

I tape the wick and the entire mold. Then sandwich it between two pieces of wood cut to fit around the shape....then hold the whole thing together with "C" clamps.....that really cuts down the leakage in the seams. Makes a HUGE difference. I also cut out the bottom of the plastic with manicure scissors so I wick it just like any pillar mold. I don't do them anymore because I left hundreds of molds in Virginia:cry2: .....and they are a PITA for all of the work....I sold a lot but there are other kinds of candles that I enjoy more. Donita Louise