Pour Temps for El Millenium

Im testing this wax and am having a hard time getting decent tops. I have poured at 115-110-120. Still I get odd crusty tops. :undecided Like thin, crusty pitted layers. I can smooth them out with the heat gun, but I really dont want to have to touch up every candle. Should I adjust the temps up or down? I am pouring into room temp jars, no drafts, and my house is 75 degrees right now. Should I cool this wax under a box? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Oh my, you don't have to add paraffin wax to the Millennium to get smooth tops. :( I will be more than happy to help you any way that I can. I am a distributor for EL Soy Wax and know that as with any soy wax it can be finicky. It sounds like you may have to adjust your pouring temps, but yes you can achieve smooth tops without having to add any additives. I know as I have done it. You can even email me if you would like. :)

Michelle

It's been a few years but I use to use that wax. I didn't add anything to it and I got smooth tops. I wish I could remember what temperature I poured but has been too long. Take Michelle up on her offer to help. EL has great customer service!

I had to come back and comment on this topic. I got my pour temp down for this wax! :yay: I am heating to 195, putting in the pour pot, adding FO/Color, and pouring after I stir it all up. Smooth shiney tops, no wet spots, awesome cold throw immediatly. No frosting so far either. This really is a great wax once you get the pour temps down. I have used 415, loved the throw, hated the frost and the cool pouring temp. Then tried EcoSoya Advanced, loved the way the candles looked, hated the throw. This wax seems to have all the great qualities of both those waxes. The hot throw is awesome too. :grin2: Thaks for everyones help!

For my latest tester I used 6% lemongrass FO from Greenleaf in an 8 oz. Crisa jar (simular to the diameter/height of a jelly jar) with a CD 14. I need to wick up to a CD 16 though, as this is leaving major hangup on one side of the jar. A CD 16 should be perfect, as these do taper a slight bit as they get closer to the bottom. HTH!

So....you're adding the FO in @ 195. Maybe I'll give that a try. I was told by a supplier to heat up the wax to 150 add oil.............some oils throw great some don't.

Peaks was one that really did't do well for me, so maybe I'll change the temps and see how it performs.

SP

I know some people are hesitant to add their FO at higher temps in fear that it will burn off the FO. I just have never had that happen. In fact, the only time I have had problems with the FO is when I have added it at too cool of a temp. In this case, the wax is probably around 180'ish when I add the FO. I heat to 195, but by the time I get it in the pour pot, it is probably dropped in temp by that much.

So glad that pouring at a hotter temp worked for you. :) As I mentioned, each person just needs to test to see what temps work best for them. I know that manufacturer gives a general guideline and I always include this with new customers that are sampling the EL soy wax. But I also tell them if it doesn't work for them, try pouring at a different temp.

Anyway, I haven't had a chance to check here to see how things were for you. Glad to see everything worked out. :)

Michelle

Florida Soy Solutions, LLC

• 4 weeks later...

how do the tops look after the candle is burned - do they keep their smooth tops or do they get lumpy/crusty looking?

I recently bought a homemade soy candle at a store that is my - oh my god, I never want my candles to look like this - candle. It has great hot throw but mushrooms like I've never seen before and the top looks horrible after it gets burned IMO. The candle looked great when I bought it, but after the first burn it all went down hill as far as the looks go. I have no idea what soy wax was used.

Edited to say: I have recently been playing around with some of the ecosoya waxes and have not had any of them get lumpy/crusty on me but they seem to be lacking hot throw in my limited testing so I'm still shopping around a bit. I recently came across a local supplier of the el waxes so I thought I'd throw the afterburn appearance question out here.

I also tested the EcoSoya Advanced. The candles were beautiful, but I just wasnt getting the hot throw I wanted either, if any at all :( The EL Millenium after burn if totaly smooth. No crusties or lumpy bumpy tops. If you have a local supplier then I would definatly test it if I were you. It's not as perfect as the EcoSoya Advanced looks until you get your pour temps down, but the cold/hot throw is great! HTH! :D

Just bought some of the EL Millenium wax...not arrived yet, but what I wanted to find out is what you're sticking your wicks with...if you're pouring right after mixing, you wax has to still be around 170...my wicks would all float, they just don't hold at those high temps.

i just wanted to put insome imput about the el milenium..

i have been testing different type of waxes, i was not getting a good hot throw some of my fragrances that are supposed to have a good hot throw in soy.. so i bought some el milenium ..i heated to 175 degree..added fragrance..stirred about 3 min...and thought this is just a tester so i poured about 155- 160 degrees.. in my 4" 10 oz. jar.. the tops are smooth and beautiful..now i just have to wait and test for the scent throw..

i am hoping the the el milenium works for me, as it is close enough for me to drive and pickup..hope this might be of help to someone

It's been a few years but I use to use that wax. I didn't add anything to it and I got smooth tops. I wish I could remember what temperature I poured but has been too long. Take Michelle up on her offer to help. EL has great customer service!

same sentiments as you! I had no problems with smooth tops. That was one of the things I loved.

I use either my trusty hot glue gun, or wick stickums and have no problem with my wicks coming unattached. So far everything I have tested has been good at throwing in this wax. Some of my strongest scents come from Candle Cocoon. Pretty much everything I have tested from them rocks. I also like Greenleafs oils, and a few that I have tried from Natures Garden have been good. Also MillCreek has some great strong scents for soy. My newest favorite from them is Mediteranian Fig, mmmmmmmm. :grin2:

• 9 months later...
Wow that wax sounds great! I have been reading about it here and there, but I havent bought some to try yet. I will have to see if I can find a place that carries it on the East coast..

:yay:

Florida Soy Solutions (Michelle has posted in this thread) sells it in Florida. She is great to work with

When I was pouring large three-wick container candles for a wedding, I found that if I poured at 100 degrees...when it started getting cloudy and thick...the tops would stay smooth. I found that my thermometer was reading five degrees above the accurate temp, and that even made a difference!

Of course, as soon as I burned it for the testing, ohh what an ugly top it had!!! But, they prefered soy over paraffin, so they were fine with it!

• 3 years later...
Oh my, you don't have to add paraffin wax to the Millennium to get smooth tops. :( I will be more than happy to help you any way that I can. I am a distributor for EL Soy Wax and know that as with any soy wax it can be finicky. It sounds like you may have to adjust your pouring temps, but yes you can achieve smooth tops without having to add any additives. I know as I have done it. You can even email me if you would like. :)

Michelle

I can't email you because my account is under 30 days. I have recently switched from Ecosoya wax to EL and have a couple questions regarding wax melts. If you could email me a.coursey@comcast.net that would be awesome and greatly appreciated!!! THANKS SO MUCH

Michelle

Actually, it would be nice if you posted the info here so that everyone can see it.