Straight Paraffin

Had a slab of Paraffin, no additives, just plain ol paraffin (got it months ago at hobby lobby) and melted some last night, only added fo and color, was trying for a mottled or anything but a shiny pillar, but that's what I got shiny pillars with 2 small spots on top that mottled. What can I do to get a mottled look with straight paraffin? When I want a shiny candle can't get one, if I'm going for something else I get a shiny one.....ready to pull my hair out........:confused:

Damn girl...put your glasses on! :waiting: (J/K)

Lola....what temp. did you pour at?? I would make sure I poured around 185-190 and let those babies cool real slow, and also what murrayhill said about the FO :yes:

I poured at about 175. I think I'm gonna try some more FO and think I'll wrap a towel or something to make them cool more slowly. I am determined to make a mottled if it takes me til next year :D .

Oh another question, I'm soooooo confuzzled (bet that doesn't surprize anyone) ,does the mineral oil help make a mottled or make a shiny candle?:confused:

Add some steric. I used some 4045EP last night. Not my regular wax. I use the 4045H for most things because is comes mottled. Sooooooo....I added nothing and got a shinny pillar with a couple of spots.....then I added 2T steric to the next and it mottled. I like the way it looks better than my regular mottles. It has a little better color and not sooooooooooo much mottle. I used 1 oz cineberry. Guess I should take a pic and post it. The 4045EP and the 4045H are both straight paraffins, but they are soooooo different. The 4045EP is a narrow cut which makes is perform differently....so what ever straight paraffin you have you don't know the cut. So again I say, try 2T steric and see what happens. If you have to add more than 1 oz FO then you are using the wrong wax. Good luck, Donita

By far the number one factor in making a mottle is the amount of FO you put in. Everything else is secondary. The more FO the more mottle, so add more if you're not getting enough.

The next factor is cooling rate, but I don't really recommend the slow cooling techniques like wrapping a towel because if you rely on that to get a certain result, then you'll always have to do it to get the same result. Adding a tiny bit more FO and cooling normally accomplishes the same thing. It's simpler and smells better.

Pouring temp can have an effect but anything in the normal (non-rustic) range of pouring a pillar will work fine. I normally do 180-185 but 175 is not a problem.

Mineral oil is just used in place of FO to make an unscented mottle.

As regards the stearic, I would keep things simple and learn to get the mottle without it at first. Respect to Donita for discovering the little-known fact that 1-2% stearic will increase mottling, but beyond that it will decrease it. No need to complicate matters with an additive before you've observed the the basic principle of wax + liquid = mottle.

Of course we don't know much about your wax so there's a possibility that it won't cooperate, but try again with significantly more FO and see what you get.

Here are the candles that I made yesterday. The tall one is 4045H with 1 oz fo and 2 T. steric pp. The short ones are 4045EP with no steric and it is the darker one....the other is 4045EP with steric. See how much mottling it gets with just the steric? The 4045 mottles for me no matter what I do or don't do.....it is just very easy. I add additives sometimes just to change the color or help colors dissolve. Steric helps some colors blend better. Donita

post-248-13945838135_thumb.jpg

Thanks all for the help....now I have a headache...J/K I don't have any steric and won't be ordering anything for awhile so guess I'll just try and get a mottle someway without it, if it don't work, I'll just put em back in the pot. That's mostly what I've been doing lately anyway. :sad2:

Oh Donita, how do you stay sane with all that data going around in your head? I'd be a raving lunatic.:P

OK ,I`m confused. Don`t you have to use pillar wax to make pillars? What can you put in pariffin wax to make pillar wax out of it? Excuse me for dumb ? . Janice
If you choose a paraffin wax with the right melting point you can make a pillar out of it without adding anything. However, a lot of paraffins that are popular for the purpose such as IGI 1343 are pretty marginal for making a good pillar unless you use additives with them. Additives are also necessary for certain kinds of aesthetic effects, such as if you want a smooth opaque appearance versus translucent.

When you say pillar wax you might be thinking of the pre-blends. Those have the additives in them already. Those generally can make better pillar candles than just plain paraffin, but you don't have as much flexibility because you can't control what additives are in them.