Digital scales, weighing by weight :)

and so I'm off to get some digital scales today, yesssssssssss. At last, shopped around and found some for £7 !!

so from now on I'll be weighing my fo by weight, after all that figuring out in ml.

Some quick basic revision then, its 1oz (weight) to 1lb (500grams-ish) of wax.

Do you have little bowls or summat to put on your scales for your fo?

A pair of scales, thats all it is, why then am I grinning so much? :D

i bought some other day from tesco for about same price, mine if i am pressing correct buttion has a tare function so i put bowl on which show the weight hit the button and it re sets to zero then weigh out what i need, no doubt if i got this wrong( probably) some one will shout OI no :D

Some quick basic revision then' date=' its 1oz (weight) to 1lb (500grams-ish) of wax.

Do you have little bowls or summat to put on your scales for your fo?

A pair of scales, thats all it is, why then am I grinning so much? :D[/quote']

Yup, it's usually 1 oz FO to 1 lb wax.

You might want to protect your scale with a plastic sheet because drops of FO may damage the scale's surface.

I use a small shot glass to measure my FO. About 90% of them 1oz comes to just about 1/8" down from the top. As I weigh and use them, I add them to my list so I can just eyeball it the next time. :D

And yup, covering it is a good idea. After I installed the batteries in mine, I put it back in the plastic bad it came out of the box in and taped the flaps on the bottom.

Well I got this lovely candle that just oozed scent - and I mean oozed scent. It leaked out the candle and made it into one lovely slippy mess - really horrible, really horrible - smelled okay though but not any stronger than the next one I made using less scent.

Ran straight down to Tesco and got my lovely scales. Brought them home then had to run out again to get a 9 volt battery - checked the box but it didn't say any batteries required - pretty chuffed with them I can tell you.

Cheers.

Lisa

just got mine :)

and yes, I did check on the box too and it doesn't say ought about needing a battery, until you open it.

Luckily (for the people in tesco) i had a 9v battery.

I'm weighing allsorts now :) I bought some aluminium pie dishes to weigh fo in.

I've realised though, all this 1oz to 1lb of wax, I do my wax in kg/gms as thats how I buy it, so my moulds I've written on them, how many grams of wax they hold, need to recalculate them all now.

Well I got this lovely candle that just oozed scent - and I mean oozed scent. It leaked out the candle and made it into one lovely slippy mess - really horrible, really horrible - smelled okay though but not any stronger than the next one I made using less scent.

If you are using paraffin without adding vybar, you can probably only use 1/2 oz pp before it starts oozing.

It depends, I use stearin and vybar together sometimes as stearin really aids the candles release from the moulds but tend to find if I am making a really dark candle the mottling that stearin causes is really noticeable so I just use vybar.

Just down to personal choice I suppose, I don't really have a preferance.

The scent I was using was Angel Type. I love the perfume and love the candles smelling of them but it is a real bugger trying to get the scent and wax to combine and not leak. It is a really dark coloured FO and I don't know why but the darker FO's tend to need less used and are harder to combine. Just whisk, whisk, whisk.

All the best.

Lisa

okie kokie then............ so its 1oz to 1lb of wax (16oz), so 1/2 to 8oz wax and 1/4 to 4oz wax, doing a 4oz tin.

So the scales say 0.2 or 0.3, not 0.25, I've gone for 0.3.

Am I calculating this correctly?

spent all last night trying to rework how much wax each of my moulds holds in oz instead of gm.

There was a formula, where if you filled with water and times the water x 0.85 that tells you how much wax, but thats for gms.

Is there a formula for how much wax a mould needs in oz?

Most digital scales will weigh in both oz's & gm's, and will convert the weights back and forth. I have 2 of them, and they both do that. Just weigh the sample and push the "oz-gms" button--it should convert. If it doesn't, throw that scale as far away as you can, and get one that does. If you're not inclined to do that, 1 ounce equals 28.35 grams--conversion is easy.

As far as the correct weight for less than a pound of wax, multiply the ounces times .0625. That will tell you the weight of the FO to be used, in ounces.

Fredron

Hi Fredron,

yep the scales do switch between gm and oz.

My confusion is my wax I buy in kg, so the moulds I've figured some (not all) so far in gms (how much wax), but because fo needs to be 1oz to 1lb, I was trying to convert everything to lbs and oz's.

It would seem easier if the amounts of wax needed were in oz's then I can figure the fo in oz too.

Oh god I have a headache lol

Hi Fredron' date='

yep the scales do switch between gm and oz.

My confusion is my wax I buy in kg, so the moulds I've figured some (not all) so far in gms (how much wax), but because fo needs to be 1oz to 1lb, I was trying to convert everything to lbs and oz's.

It would seem easier if the amounts of wax needed were in oz's then I can figure the fo in oz too.

Oh god I have a headache lol[/quote']

1 Kilo = 2lbs wax (and a little bit, ie 2oz)

2lbs of wax is 32 ounces. This requires 2oz of FO

1lb of wax is 16oz. This requires 1oz of FO

half a pound of wax is 8oz. This requires 1/2 oz of FO.

I weigh all my scent in the wax coated disposible bathroom cups (dixie cups here in the US) That way I can just toss them..... If I have any left over wax, I just cool a bit and can also pour into these, great for remelting and make smaller candles (ie: 4 oz tins etc)

thanks for your help folks. I've been methodical (well it had to happen some time :grin2:

I've weighed the amount of water in each of my moulds, I'm just going to do the x 0.85 to get the grams, write that on the mould, then convert it to oz and write that on too.

It is easier to work out how much fo is needed it my wax is in oz :)