USPS and photocopying labels

barncat

Well, if you thought about copying labels and trying to get 2 for one, forget it!! I finally got my box from laserinkjetlabels and they had the same tracking number on them when the mailman scanned then. Postmaster called me and they are going to investigate it, and want all the envelopes back! Don't know if it was an accident or not, but someones in trouble!! 36_1_30.gif

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb095&pp=ZNxmk121JJUS

Ya know I read somewhere that there was a lady that did that. She advertised something like $1.99 shipping on everything. That is what she was doing. They said that she shipped thousands of dollars worth of packages out.

I just don't understand why anyone would try something like this..

Both packages had the exact same label (the tracking numbers were the same, they are supposed to have individual numbers)on them. I don' t think our postman really new what to do, until he told his boss that he couldn't get them to scan and noticed they were the same numbers. I just had to put the empties back in the mailbox for him to check out.

It was Hoffman Candles that commited the major mail fraud. Here's the article from the Baltimore Sun.

<http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local> maryland news

Allegany Co. woman guilty of postage fraud

She admits to running counterfeiting scheme from Lonaconing shop

By a Sun Reporter

Originally published January 12, 2007, 12:24 PM EST

A Lonaconing woman pleaded guilty today to counterfeiting metered postage,

according to the Maryland U.S. Attorney's office.

According to the statement of facts presented to the court, Julie Hoffman,

32, owns and operates Hoffman Candles and Hoffman Mailing Solutions in

Lonaconing and mailed about 1,000 envelopes and packages daily for

individual customers and businesses. Hoffman advertised that she could mail

any item from Hoffman Candles to anywhere in the country, regardless of the

weight or size of the item, for 20 cents, according to the U.S. Attorney's

office.

In 2003, Hoffman began to counterfeit metered U.S. postage by printing a

legitimate set of postage from Stamps.com and Endicia.com. She then made

copies of the postage on her own labels. Hoffman gave the counterfeit

postage to her employees to use in mailing packages and letters, but did not

tell them that the postage was counterfeit. Within a couple years, she was

counterfeiting almost all of the postage in her business. As a result of the

scheme, the Postal Service lost at least $251,011.90, according to the U.S.

Attorney's office.

Hoffman faces a maximum sentence of five years in prison followed by three

years of supervised release. Sentencing is scheduled for April 6.

It was Hoffman Candles that commited the major mail fraud. Here's the article from the Baltimore Sun.

<http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local> maryland news

Allegany Co. woman guilty of postage fraud

She admits to running counterfeiting scheme from Lonaconing shop

By a Sun Reporter

Originally published January 12, 2007, 12:24 PM EST

A Lonaconing woman pleaded guilty today to counterfeiting metered postage,

according to the Maryland U.S. Attorney's office.

According to the statement of facts presented to the court, Julie Hoffman,

32, owns and operates Hoffman Candles and Hoffman Mailing Solutions in

Lonaconing and mailed about 1,000 envelopes and packages daily for

individual customers and businesses. Hoffman advertised that she could mail

any item from Hoffman Candles to anywhere in the country, regardless of the

weight or size of the item, for 20 cents, according to the U.S. Attorney's

office.

In 2003, Hoffman began to counterfeit metered U.S. postage by printing a

legitimate set of postage from Stamps.com and Endicia.com. She then made

copies of the postage on her own labels. Hoffman gave the counterfeit

postage to her employees to use in mailing packages and letters, but did not

tell them that the postage was counterfeit. Within a couple years, she was

counterfeiting almost all of the postage in her business. As a result of the

scheme, the Postal Service lost at least $251,011.90, according to the U.S.

Attorney's office.

That is just crazy!

Kinda makes ya wonder now, when you see all the ads for free shipping and anything ships for $xx.xx. I see those offers alot online. Now I'm not saying everyone that has those ads is doing something illegal, but I know it cost me an arm and a leg and sometimes two to ship packages. Just wondered how these other companies were doing it so cheap. Now I know :D

How did they not catch it sooner? If they're scanning them and stuff? I'm tired so maybe I'm overlooking something.

ets, well if she was doing that in 2003, maybe they didn't have the safeguards in place yet?

From what I understand she was using stamps.com to print out actual postage stamps. Postal mail is sorted by machines, it's not actually hand sorted until it gets to the destination office. Basicly, if the person on the end doesn't catch it most like it won't be caught. This stuff is why they keep raising the cost of postage.

She's still in business so I guess she didn't get thrown in jail....

Kinda makes ya wonder now, when you see all the ads for free shipping and anything ships for $xx.xx. I see those offers alot online. Now I'm not saying everyone that has those ads is doing something illegal, but I know it cost me an arm and a leg and sometimes two to ship packages. Just wondered how these other companies were doing it so cheap. Now I know :D

I know you were most likely joking with this comment, but I wanted to point out a few things. Seeing as you have a website, I'm sure you've come across the headache of working with real-time shipping. Out of curiosity, I placed a candle from your site in a shopping cart, and then proceeded to checkout. No shipping charges ever came up. It listed them as $0.00. My guess is that you then invoice separately for the shipping charges. It's one way to get accurate shipping charges, but I also know that many people won't purchase from a website without knowing in advance what the shipping charges are going to be.

Anyway, realtime shipping can be an absolute PITA to get set up to work accurately. And, unfortunately, I'm going to be dealing with setting those up again here very soon. (redesigning all our websites over the next few weeks) With our last web host for our retail site, we could never get it anywhere close to accurate. So we offered flat rate shipping. Granted it wasn't the $1.99 deals, but $5.99. This was our average shipping cost for our average order size at the time. We figured if they ordered more, and the box was heavier, than the larger sale made up the difference. And it DID bump up our average sale. Our normal sale was between $20 and $25. When we added the flat rate shipping, most were well over $30 and $40 per order. The jump in sales made up for the couple of dollars we'd sometimes lose on having to pay for extra shipping. There was nothing illegal about it. It's actually a very solid marketing tactic, and a proven one. The only draw back we came across was we lost a few tiny orders, when people just wanted to try a few small things (like one lotion, or one bar of soap), test us out first. They didn't want to pay the full shipping for that small of an order. Had we been offering the $1.99 shipping, we probably would have gotten those sales, but we'd have lost more on the rest of our sales. It's a balancing act, but we were completely legal. Just because we offered flat rate shipping (and occasionally free shipping incentive sales) doesn't mean we were scamming the system to do it. Most companies, when they offer free shipping or flat rate shipping, they do so for a reason. If they always offer free shipping, most likely, they've absorbed the extra cost already into the product price.

Sorry, I just got a little miffed when you basically said that if we're offering free or flat rate shipping, we must be scamming the system. In probably 99% of the cases out there, they're not. There are always going to be those nasty bad seeds out there that do, but that doesn't mean the rest of us are as well. I'm assuming all of it was meant in jest, I just didn't want someone else to come along, read it, and assume that everyone who offers flat rate shipping is scamming people.

She's still in business so I guess she didn't get thrown in jail....

Her sentencing was actually rescheduled to the 20th (I kept myself on her Yahoo! group to keep abreast of things).

Her website still says Free Shipping.. 245.gif LMFAO...

I think she's only shipping certain things for free now...?

Sorry to get a little OT, but I used to order from her a lot, though after finding out about this, it completely soured things. :undecided I've done my share of shipping and respect the postal system and wouldn't dream of ripping them off. It's not right and it only ups prices for everyone in the long-run.

I but I also know that many people won't purchase from a website without knowing in advance what the shipping charges are going to be.

I am one of these people. I want to know up front what my order is going to cost me. If I don't know..I don't order. :undecided Maybe a loss to me, but I don't want any hidden surprises. And I have emailed to ask what shipping would be before I order. I have gotten really high quotes, no response at all, or several days later (up to a week)a reasonable quote, but by that time I have found somewhere else to get the merchandise.

Sorry for the hi-jack :D

You can thank the countless cheats and email for the constant rise in postage prices. The USPS loses millions every year to scammers and plan regular email. As far as regular postage goes, more people are emailing now since it's free so the Post Office has to make up the loss some how.

Bottom line, as long as email is free, the cost of 1st class postage will continue to rise and as long as there are scammers, the cost of sending packages will continue to rise.

Think about it - thieves contribute enormously to the cost of everything. Insurance fraud drives the rates through the roof. Shoplifters add significantly to costs in stores. Credit card scammers cause the companies to charge their customers (businesses) more to cover their costs, and those costs are passed down to us. There is NO area in which thievery and fraud are not costing each of us a LOT.

If it would only just STOP.

Well, if you thought about copying labels and trying to get 2 for one, forget it!! I finally got my box from laserinkjetlabels and they had the same tracking number on them when the mailman scanned then. Postmaster called me and they are going to investigate it, and want all the envelopes back! Don't know if it was an accident or not, but someones in trouble!! 36_1_30.gif

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb095&pp=ZNxmk121JJUS

What did laserinkjetlabels have to say about this? I've ordered from them with no problems at all.

CareBear, I aggree. I started out of college working as a manager with a higher end nat'l dept store and we wrote off about 5-10% to shrink depending on the department! YEAH imagine how much that is considering we did several million a month. So just think about how much that adds to the retail prices of the items you purchase, the stores just pass it straight on to the consumers.