Mold Cleaner & Wax Remover

My presto pot comes clean with just wiping with paper towel. My molds - I keep electric presto griddle turned on to 225 when making candles - just put your molds on it, the wax melts, and then all you have to do is wipe clean with pt. Also use the griddle to keep pouring pots warm. hth

The only time I use a wax remover/cleaner is if I had poured a red or other deep/dark color and then need to use the mold for a white or very light color candle. "Goo-Gone" and "De'solv'it" both work well for me.

• 3 months later...

What about your pour pots (I don't have a Presto pot)? Mine have plastic handles so they can't go in an oven.

I've been pouring boiling water into the pour pots with my votive molds inside, swishing it all around, and pouring the water onto an ant bed outside. It seems like more work than it ought to be when I end up doing this 2 or more times before I feel they're clean enough, and every time I fire up a stove eye to boil the water I'm burning up more money. Is there a better (possibly more economical) way to clean the pour pots?

Even with that there is usually still some residual scent from the previous FO sticking around the pour pot and molds. Is this normal and nothing to worry about? I don't want the previous FO affecting the next one.

I wipe out my pots immediately after pouring. I do use the wax remover to get rid of the scent and it does a great job there. I actually dilute it and pour with water into a spray bottle. If I'm not quick enough I use the heat gun. I do have the smallest space imaginable so I have an old griddle with water in it and can put the pots in there to simmer it off too. Another thing I found that works great are the EQUate brand baby wipes at Walmart. They are the best. I've left my bag open several times and they don't even dry out. It is the big refill bag. Those work slick and I use them to always wipe my spoons off right away. HTH:)

I don't use water on any metal molds. Just put them upside down in a warm oven and wipe out with a clean paper towel or cloth.

What about your pour pots (I don't have a Presto pot)? Mine have plastic handles so they can't go in an oven.

Too bad you don't have a Presto - After cleaning the Presto, I turn it on to warm and place the pour pot in it. This melts the wax but not the handle. Best way to clean a pour pot is to not allow it to get funky! If I have excess, I pour that into another container to save and I immediately wipe out the pour pot with clean paper towels or cloths. It can be set on a heated surface briefly to melt any minor residue in the bottom. HTH :)

Thank you all for the info!

So it's no problem if the pots and molds still smell like the previous scent that was used in them? It doesn't affect the next scent you use?

Depends on how much that scent bugs you still being there. Most don't worry about it. It bugs me if its a strong scent and then I have to clean it out before starting over. I've switched to all glass pour pots so I can wash them easily...molds I don't find that the scent stays in the metal molds for too long if you get the wax out. I hate using mold cleaner, but I do have it and have used it on occasion. All the silicone molds I just wash or throw in the dishwaher on the top shelf with no dry cycle.