Adding oil to M & P

Loretta

I believe you are right Lovely.. the quality of the MP makes a difference. I have tried several now.. I believe I have the absolute best MP soap base in the world and it only has one fault.. it comes in a huge round instead of in 1 lb blocks. I recently tried SFIC.. thinking that if I could get it shipped in 1 lb blocks I would have the world by the tail, but there is simply no comparison. I even tried several different kinds of SFIC, and I was so disappointed. So.. back to the best for me.

To answer the question, for my old standby base, I'd go up to 2 and 3 TBS pp of oils depending on how many I'm using and how much total soap base I have in the pot.

Oh.. I mentioned it in another post in this section :D

LMAO ~ sorry. It's the base sold by Essentials By Catalina. www.essentialsbycatalina.com It's only fault IMO is that it comes in a huge round rather than in individual blocks. But this fault is very easy to overlook once you realize the quality of soap base you are getting and the differences are simply amazing.

It's crazy how "better" it is!! LOL. But of course, this is just my opinion. I think everyone has an idea of how a base should be after they've been making MP soap for awhile. And if you are very used to one thing you may find this to be sub par in your opinion. I was just actually shocked to find that SFIC soap had a rubbery texture to the bars once I had made them.. and I used a lot of additives too. But to me it felt like JoAnn's soap base.. super rubbery. I used it for a swap too, and boy did I have to add stuff to make it nice.. and it still wasn't that nice IMO.. so I dunno. My EBC base has never had that rubbery feel.. even with nothing added... but I would love to hear what you think of it after you try it!

It's funny you mention the "rubbery" texture of SFIC. I can't fully grasp what that means. But I gave some to my neices and they said that it made their skin feel rubbery. But after a few days, they said they loved it and wanted more. So I guess it grew on them. SFIC is super soft, which is a downer. But I add 1TBS of stearic and that hardens it to the touch, though I'm not sure it made the soap last any longer.

Well I'm not selling yet, so if there is a better soap available, I'm all for it. I'll keep ya posted as to what I think. Unfortunately, it'll probably be a week before I can tell ya. Essentials by Catalina is way far from me (I'm in Wisconsin). :(

The Essentials by Catalina looks great, it's too bad they only sell it in 20 lb. increments. :(

Oh, but once you get it you will be so glad that they do!! You will be ever so happy that you don't have to turn right around and order more LOL!! Although, you will be ordering more before you know it!

I checked out the site for the MP base, but they don't list their ingredients,,

the reason I use SFIC is it has no detergent ing. I feel like if you are making soap with SLS, its no better than commercial detergent soaps. Do you know what their ing are?

I don't have a clue what their ingredients are, but if you really want to know they have super customer service and I bet they'd be quick to answer your questions.

What I do know is the stuff is awesome to work with, it's not rubbery and it makes a killer bar of soap.. it far surpasses anything I have tried to date.

• 4 years later...

Sorry to necro this thread but I just tried adding olive oil to my melt and pour to harden it (1tbsp to 1lb of soap is right isnt it?) and the olive has all floated to the top! How can I better incorporate this with the melt and pour base for next time?

If you add too much OO to your soap it will make it greasy. Very greasy. Not all M&P bases are the same. Some take additives like butters and oils very well whiles others will make terrible soap with just a hint of them. I start out using 1 tsp or 5 gm of an additive. I adjust the amount (more or less) from there.

A little bit of OO will help make a moisturizing soap, help harden it, but too much makes a horrible greasy mess. Go easy with the OO when you start out and make adjustments from there until you find the desired amount for your base.

I was just reading the Catalina website,, they do offer SLS free soap bases, one in a natural glycerin base. I may have to try a sample and see how it compares to the SFIC I currently use. The reason I've used SFIC is because of the "no detergent SLS"... The natural glycerin doesn't look clear but the information on the website says it colors easily and handles EO's and FO's well. my concern would be coloring the opaque to what I want, but I'm going to sampe it and see what happens.... whoohoooo.. nice price on the 40lbs :)

Edited by SherriLynn

If you can find it at the grocers you can use it. I get my OO at my local grocers and sometimes my coconut oil and glycerin too. But often you can get a better price from a soap or candles and soap supplies company. Most of my soaping supplies I get from candle/soap suppliers that carry soap supplies.

I tend to buy my OO at the grocers cause its cheaper there. Some buy their coconut oil at Walmart but mine doesn't carry it-- at least not the Luann's CO at a good price. Local grocer prices for oils & butters can be pricey. Mostly I only buy soap supplies from my grocers when I run out and need them fast in a pinch.