oil to wax measurments

here i go again

does any one have a oil to wax guide?? my maths is rubbish i admit and unless i have full set of dummy instructions written down infront of me of how much then do etc then im at a loss :o

i make tealights, votives 4 oz jars and tin candles plus melts and i just cant seem to get the oil measurement right, maybe as i get more experienced it will come naturally but at the minute dumbo is the name

the problem I have, is I don't have digital scales and FO seems to be measured by weight.

I've got pipettes that measure it in ml, although I did see somewhere last night that said for soy (just got my first lot but haven't used it yet, so reading up), it said to use 25ml to 500g and I think (not certain) that 1oz (weight) = 25ml so would be 1oz to 500g.

Don't quote me on this lol but thats what I'm working too

generally 1 oz per pound of wax or almost 6%,i.e. 456 grams of wax plus 28 grams of fragrance oil.

at the risk of sounding offish, the reason why you are probably not getting a heck of alot of responses is because this type of answer can be found very easily (and alot faster, BTW) by doing a search or reading old posts, always a good place to start off with...;)

the problem I have' date=' is I don't have digital scales and FO seems to be measured by weight.

I've got pipettes that measure it in ml, although I did see somewhere last night that said for soy (just got my first lot but haven't used it yet, so reading up), it said to use 25ml to 500g and I think (not certain) that 1oz (weight) = 25ml so would be 1oz to 500g.

Don't quote me on this lol but thats what I'm working too[/quote']

The specific density of fragrances differ, which is why the most accurate method of measurement is weight. I bough a cheap digital scale at one of our supermarket chains, cost about R300, which is about 20 - 25 UK pounds if I am not mistaken, believe me, a very good investment. Can't work without that and a thermometer, IMO.;)

Also, 1 oz is 28g and 30ml.

the problem I have' date=' is I don't have digital scales and FO seems to be measured by weight.

Don't quote me on this lol but thats what I'm working too[/quote']

just had few emails back from some kindly candle making friends or as i call them the ones whos brains i pick if you email me i can send them on to you:)

what i have been measuring the FO in is the old type medicine plastic pots with the ml's up the side

here's what I do~sorry I know UK measurments are different.

1 oz of fo to 1lb of wax gives you 17oz total weight divide 1 into 17 to get .0588 or 5.88% subtract 5.88 from 100 (17 is 100% of what you want) you get 94.12

example: so if you only need 11 oz of wax you need to figure how much FO you need.

1 +16=17 (100%)

1/17=.0588 or 5.88%

100-5.88=94.12

then you figure in the exact amount of wax

11/.9412=11.68

11.68 total weight -11oz( original wax amnt) = .68 oz of FO

make sense? hope this helps, I needed to have someone explain it to me too.