Swirl question

Mnhorsemom

If I am making a batch of soap with 4 pounds of oils and it's going into a 16 bar Misty Creek mold how much soap should I taking out to color for a swirl? I seem to be rather swirl challenged as I can't seem to get them going all the way to the bottom and I am wondering if I am just not coloring enough for that size batch. TIA

I color about a cup and a half or so, but I swirl it in layers. First I zigzag a bit of the colored portion, then pour about 1/3 of the uncolored portion, then zigzag a portion of the colored then 1/3 of the uncolored then zigzag more of the colored then the final uncolored and then the final colored. Then after all that I drag my knife for the fancy swirls. This insures the swirls go all the way through. Sounds like a drawn out process, but really it's not so bad.

yea, no more than that or you'll end up with too much colored part.

If I do medium trace I swirl in the layers and I get well defined swirls. For wispier swirls I pour at very thin trace and then pour my swirl only once and it hits bottom. Both techniques work well but you do get very different results.

ETA: if I screw up and end up with thick trace I layer instead LOL - and add a whorled or forked texture to the top. :D

I color about a cup and a half or so, but I swirl it in layers. First I zigzag a bit of the colored portion, then pour about 1/3 of the uncolored portion, then zigzag a portion of the colored then 1/3 of the uncolored then zigzag more of the colored then the final uncolored and then the final colored. Then after all that I drag my knife for the fancy swirls. This insures the swirls go all the way through. Sounds like a drawn out process, but really it's not so bad.

That's what I do, except I use a rubber spatula to move the colors around.

And like Carol, I go light trace for wispy, fine/thin swirls; medium trace for blockier/chunkier/thicker swirls. I just finished a 4-color version of this type a couple hours ago. :)

I've been using 3.5lbs in my 16 bar misty creek mold. I found the 4lb didn't fit in my soap boxes, I had to shave every bar.

I use a plastic measuring cup to pull my soap out for a swirl and I use 1 full cup.

I pour at light trace and pour in the color from about 18inches above the mold. Then swirl with the handle of a silicone spatula.

I do this too. One thing I will say is it depends on the color- the darker the color the less you want to use. I know this, yet can't get it right 1/2 the time. The way Janel explained the layering works for me every time getting the swirls to go all the way through and not over doing the the dragging/swirling part. I use a wooden skewer- it a handy tool for lots of things from puttting out candles to popping bubbles/taking out "skin" in M&P, AND their cheap! GL :)

:eek: Four color swirl????? You are my hero!!!! :smiley2: Pics please??

LOL! Well that batch got cut up into tiny 1 oz. bricks for a swap. But I'll do what I can to accommodate. :D They're nothing special; just some earthy colors. I left the base creamy ivory, and added earthy green, brown and soft orange oxides for the colors. *trots off to find camera for ashee*

Edited to add pic. Sorry it's so lousy. I just have zero photography skills. heh heh

dcp_0022_00.jpg