Mottled Pillars

Light green mottled poured at 170 in aluminum mold, Dark Green Mottled & Rustic poured at approx 149 degrees in metal mold. Brown Rustic poured at approx 149 in metal mold. I have been away from making candles for about a year because of our move, I found myself going through my notes because I couldn't remember some very basic things. Need more practice, looks like I could pour even cooler.

Rustics always turn out better for me in metal molds and easier to release from the mold. I use to only use 1 Tbl spoon Stearic, but read here where some of you use 2 and even 3 Tbls. I tried 2 Tbls on these, didn't notice a difference yet, but haven't burned them yet. Any thoughts on amount of stearic and why? I noticed the mottling in the light green one have smaller air like bubbles than I use to get using less stearic but if I remember right different FO's produced different effects.

Comments good and bad welcomed!

post-4928-139458422681_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

I didn't get much of a rustic effect like I was going for on the two fluted mold pillars, need to pour a little cooler next time. The light green one I poured at 170, wasn't going for a rustic effect.

The fluted molds are my favorite, only have a few, this one, fluted heart and a fluted oval. I find that with these metal molds just using the metal tape I get leaks more often but if I put the square magnet over the tape no leaks.

Tried another picture

No comments on amounts of Stearic?

post-4928-139458422714_thumb.jpg

Well....I use approx 3 T. stearic. per pound....when doing batches I measure and weigh the additives. The stearic seems to help with the rustic look and holds in the fragrance and helps with mold release and makes for a better burning candle. IMO......some people use as much as 10% stearic.....just depends on the look you want and your wax. Like I have said before "experiment" is my middle name.....(smile) Donita Louise

Well....I use approx 3 T. stearic. per pound....when doing batches I measure and weigh the additives. The stearic seems to help with the rustic look and holds in the fragrance and helps with mold release and makes for a better burning candle. IMO......some people use as much as 10% stearic.....just depends on the look you want and your wax. Like I have said before "experiment" is my middle name.....(smile) Donita Louise

Thanks Donita! Next time I will up the stearic pp another Tablespoon and pour a few degrees cooler. At just 1 T heavier FO's would seep or not blend completely. Thanks again for the reply. Oh, and relief holes never seemed as deep, you know once the candle was cooled ready for the second pour. I was then concerned about air pockets but during test burns there were no problems. I use 1343A.