Beeswax balloon orbs

I like your orb. I think I like working with beeswax for orbs better than paraffin. It just is better. I also like the way the overdipping works over the flowers. Just a better product......expensive yes.....but I charge accordingly. I have never had a problem of any kind using beeswax. Aren't they fun? Donita Louise

I like your orb. I think I like working with beeswax for orbs better than paraffin. It just is better. I also like the way the overdipping works over the flowers. Just a better product......expensive yes.....but I charge accordingly. I have never had a problem of any kind using beeswax. Aren't they fun? Donita Louise

And they smell GOOD :)

I hope my first attempt at those look that good! How many "dunks" if I may ask?

:)

I mostly just left the cold water balloon suspended in the wax. The wax was at 150 deg. I'll probably go up to 160 on the next try. I didn't have much wax in my pot, so the water balloon would cool the wax enough that I'd have to warm it up again because it was beginning to skin.

Tony

It is also different during summer and winter......tap water temperature changes and that makes a big difference. I actually use slightly warm water to fill them now. The water out of the faucet it way too cold. Donita Louise

It is also different during summer and winter......tap water temperature changes and that makes a big difference. I actually use slightly warm water to fill them now. The water out of the faucet it way too cold. Donita Louise

What does the water temp affect, other than the speed of the shell formation?

Thanks for this good info,

Tony

If you put a balloon with very cold water into your wax......the wax cools off too fast. It is hard to keep an even temperature in the vat of wax. I keep the heat turned on to a very low heat and I can do several in a row without having to adjust the temperature.....just have to stop and add more wax every now and then. If the cold water balloon cools the wax to lower than 155 to 160 then it doens't work anymore and you would have a lumpy orb....not a good thing. (smile)..... Donita Louise

Henry.....don't you have my instructions? I thought I sent you all of the tutorials.... I don't dunk.....BTW....how are you doing these days? Donita Louise

Hi Donita,

That is so kind of you to ask. I'm doing well, just bought some more BW and am ready to do a few things again. I've been trying to wait until the weather is warmer. It seems my candlemaking goes so much smoother if its not in the freezing temps!

I did PM you too. :)

Those are nice...where do you all get your balloons from? I went to wally world and they just had the 9in and 12in size. Is it a certain size to use?

Donita sells a Balloon Orb tutorial on her website. After I tried to make them from what I read here, on my own without success, I found out that she offered them. I ended up purchasing her tutorial. Can't wait to get it.

I use 7" and 9" from Walmart.....they have helium quality. I make a gig with cardboard cutouts....41/2"......6".....and 7".....I can put the filled balloon in the hole and judge the size.....that way I am consistent with my orb. I use the 7" for the 4 1/2" orb and the 9" for the larger ones. Don't go larger or the balloon will pop or you arm will fall off ...it gets very heavy with each inch you go up. (smile)......Donita Louise

I use 7" and 9" from Walmart.....they have helium quality. I make a gig with cardboard cutouts....41/2"......6".....and 7".....I can put the filled balloon in the hole and judge the size.....that way I am consistent with my orb. I use the 7" for the 4 1/2" orb and the 9" for the larger ones. Don't go larger or the balloon will pop or you arm will fall off ...it gets very heavy with each inch you go up. (smile)......Donita Louise

I couldn't find any other than 12" there just now. I am going to try them anyway and just not fill as full.

How thick do you try to go on your orbs? I still think I'll need one of your tutorials so I can figure out how to put flowers or other things on the orb.

Tony