Beeswax balloon orbs

ok everyone, what are these and what do you do with them? I know I sound stupid but i've never heard of this before.

You put a tealight candle down inside. It glows from the light of the candle. If you choose to embed flowers or pictures, they show up nicely.

Tony

I don't like the 12" balloons....after you make a bunch you will find that the large balloon.....if you don't fill it all the way.....won't be round....it will be lopsided....not a good thing.....and if you fill it too much, you won't be able to pick it up and you will have to use a huge kettle of wax large enough for that sucker........try to find smaller balloons. I found some 9" helium balloons on eBay and they were a great buy. "Blue Bird" ....144 for $1.00 plus $4.99 shipping. When I tried to make smaller orbs in the 9" it doesn't work well either. That is why I like the 7" and 9".....Donita Louise

I am trying to learn from you. If you do not know then I guess it will be a hard task.

The problem is that you can't bend a flat photo on an orb without getting wrinkles....it has to be smooth. That is why I decorate my orbs with flowers....or not. Last year my daughter and I made about a dozen coral 7" orbs and put them on black plates for a gala. They were just beautiful lit up at night without any decoration. Even sold some right off of the tables. You could paint on the orbs for decoration too. I think I might do that this week. I have some white orbs just sitting around waiting for me to pretty them up..... and I just got some new paints. This is what I find exciting about making all kinds of candles. It is all about experimenting and finding what works....sometimes my experiments go in the garbage. (smile)

Donita Louise

I need to do a painting one....haven't done it yet. I will. Buy acrylic paint and first of all spray the wax with a coat of Krylon matte finish...let it dry and the spray another thin coat. Let dry. That sets it up to have "tooth" so the paint sticks. Then paint. When finished....give it another coat of the matte or use a gloss if you prefer. Donita Louise

Macy...sorry I didn't get back before the store closes....but it is a clear varnish. I need to get a can myself tomorrow so I can paint this week. I haven't painted for almost a year and it is freaking me out. I will have to practice and paint a dozen roses before I dare do one on a candle....but I will do it.

and....thanks Mozzie ......you are such a great friend. Donita

Most wax suppliers carry beeswax. In your area I don't know who to suggest. I have paid up to $7.00 per pound and as little as $3.25. You should shop around. Pressing flowers is a whole different thing. You can easily press leaves and some flowers like pansies.....but I belong to two flower groups and we exchange information daily. You can join pressed flowers at Yahoo for free and find lots of information in the files there. I belong to the World Wide Pressed Flower Guild and there are dues but lots of famous flower artists there. I press literally thousands and thousands of flowers but buy a few from Kate Chu. She started both of the flower groups. Her website is www.pressed-flowers.com . I buy my wild vine from her. I just sent her over 200 dogwood blossoms to trade. This is so much fun. If you are serious about doing flowers.....check on Amazon for Cellestine Hannaman's book Glorious Pressed Flowers. That is how I first learned how to make flower presses. Donita Louise

ps.....I love beeswax.

Just to show you what can be done with pressed flowers.....here is a picture that Kate did a couple of years ago. I bought the poster size for my daughter for a Christmas present. She is a huge fan of Kates. Donita Louise

post-248-139458423405_thumb.jpg