Bad news at BCN

logcabinmomma

Well, I ordered my FOs last Friday. But as much as I love them, I don't think I'm gonna order any more from them. First of all, when I was charged, the discount wasn't applied to all the oils. BUT the terrible thing (to me) was that since they told me that they won't ship FO's via USPS anymore (no priority allowed on them), the estimated shipping was also wrong. The estimated UPS shipping was $7.47 (high, but I budgeted for it, so whatever)... BUT the thing that irks me- the actual shipping was $9.18!!!! And there's no way to know what it is until after they've shipped it and I've been billed! *To me*, anything off by more than a dollar on less than 2 lbs, is WAY off. I bought 12 OUNCES of FO for crying out loud.

Then to make it worse, I had to INSIST on a credit card refund as they wanted to adjust for in-store credit only. NOT after that!

HELLO! I used BCN because their shipping was LOWER than BCS.... and things I've ordered in the past, the shipping was correct.

Grrr...... not a happy camper here.... but also fair warning to watch your charges on this one- they aren't playing fair.

-Kristi

Just checked and shipping in January for 2 EXTRA lbs was $1 LESS.

USPS anymore (no priority allowed on them), the estimated shipping was also wrong.

(no priority allowed on them)...says who? BCN or USPS? It must be BCN because many suppliers are shipping FO's priority!

Oh my! I did not know this! CRAP! I just placed a sample order last night! The last time I ordered they were shipping FO's USPS!

Here was my shipping estimate for 1.77 pounds UPS:

Shipping: $7.85 Ground (residential, U.S. only)

I will update once I receive my invoice!

Well, I ordered my FOs last Friday. But as much as I love them, I don't think I'm gonna order any more from them. First of all, when I was charged, the discount wasn't applied to all the oils. BUT the terrible thing (to me) was that since they told me that they won't ship FO's via USPS anymore (no priority allowed on them), the estimated shipping was also wrong. The estimated UPS shipping was $7.47 (high, but I budgeted for it, so whatever)... BUT the thing that irks me- the actual shipping was $9.18!!!! And there's no way to know what it is until after they've shipped it and I've been billed! *To me*, anything off by more than a dollar on less than 2 lbs, is WAY off. I bought 12 OUNCES of FO for crying out loud.

Then to make it worse, I had to INSIST on a credit card refund as they wanted to adjust for in-store credit only. NOT after that!

HELLO! I used BCN because their shipping was LOWER than BCS.... and things I've ordered in the past, the shipping was correct.

Grrr...... not a happy camper here.... but also fair warning to watch your charges on this one- they aren't playing fair.

-Kristi

Just checked and shipping in January for 2 EXTRA lbs was $1 LESS.

That's not right. If there's an adjustment to shipping, they should contact the customer BEFORE shipping to make sure the customer is aware of any additional charges.

I've had them adjust my shipping too, but they did call to tell me first. Sorry for your poor treatment.

I figured shipping via UPS from Bittercreek to my place and for a 2 lb box it was 11.60 and for a 3 pound box it was 9.34, so that probably explains why shipping was cheaper in January for your heavier order. The shipping for my last order for a some wicks and a sample FO also came to $9.18. Unfortunately, shipping is not cheap and prices are going to keep going up.

As for the sample special, I don't know what fragrance oils that includes- just BCNs and not WYW and BNL or if it includes all of them. You might want to check to be sure.

As for the sample special, I don't know what fragrance oils that includes- just BCNs and not WYW and BNL or if it includes all of them. You might want to check to be sure.

It includes all of those. The WYW FO's are 1/2oz samples for .99cents.

I know some FOs are only allowed to be shipped via ground (low flash point or something?) so maybe you ordered one of those or they've decided to ship all FOs through ground.

Not very cool for them to charge you more for shipping after you ordered... was that at least specified on the site or the order form? There's a polymer clay website that I order from a lot, and they overestimate shipping when you order then send a partial refund once they find out the exact cost. I think that works out better because then you are sent a few extra dollars instead of charged a few extra dollars, and who can complain about that?

Honestly I think the best way to do it is to base shipping on either your order total or on the weight of your order, then charge you that amount no matter what. They might lose a little money on shipping some orders, but if they set it right they would also gain a little money on shipping other orders, and it would balance out. Theoretically. ;)

They *do* say:

Shipping Cost/Weight is a close estimate and may vary due to product size and density.

So it is an estimate... I just didn't consider a change of more than $1 being close when the shipment was small to begin with. However, if UPS has raised the rates for small, light packages, maybe their cart hasn't been changed to reflect this. I just have to remember that if something says it's shipping for $7.50, it really means over $9.... ugh.

Lesson learned- order more. Way more. And no, I was never contacted with the shipping change and since I was overcharged for other parts of my order too, it was impossible to tell until I called. Their order processing stuff does NOT say the prices for the individual items, just the total charge to credit card. It would be very helpful to be able to see it broken down. Telling me they were charging me $25 for 12 $.99 samples and shipping was crazy.

-Kristi

The really bad thing is that everyone comments how expensive BCS shipping is compared with BCN's and is ordering from them instead. I got news for you.... it's not any cheaper, as far as I can tell.

I really think it all depends on where you live. It is true, shipping a small amount with UPS is overly expensive, but I think BCN has changed the policy to not ship FOs with USPS is a safety precaution, whether it is forced by the PO or not.

I live about 150 miles from BCN and can get a case of wax shipped from them to me for just over $18 because thats what UPS charges. I have ordered less than 2 lbs before also and had to pay nearly half of that. UPS expects large packages and they make more $$ on the small ones to help them with the shipping for the larger ones.

Dont be too mad at BCN, mistakes happen. Why they werent going to give you a refund for their mistake with over charging for their products suprises me, they are some of the nicest people I have ever dealt with. Maybe a short chat/pm/email to Doneen might help.

Pam

S'all good.. I'm over it. I was just very surprised since everyone always gushes over them. The last time I placed an order I was never sent a shipping notice, so it surprised me when I had a glitch this time too, based one everyone else's experiences. I don't tend to have big orders from places outside my UPS zone. I only go outside for certain FOs or little stuff I can't find somewhere else. I AM addicted to Wildberry Zinger Tea and will be hogging my 2 oz all for ME lol....

-Kristi

I just got a call yesterday after I had placed an order for a few things. No more shipping FO's via USPS!:cry2:

WYW has closed here in Canada so Bittercreek was the only place left to get them. Since I can't have stuff shipped via UPS I guess I will have to cross them off my supplier list. Too bad as I have always had excellent customer service from them.

S'all good.. I'm over it. I was just very surprised since everyone always gushes over them. lol....

-Kristi

I am not one of the gushers!!! LOL;)

I do order from them the items I need and can't get elsewhere..

Never had shipping fee problems. But have had other issues..:cool2:

I'm not a gusher either ... Doneen is very nice ... however, another woman answers the phone quite often ... she needs some training on how to speak to customers (at least to me anyway).

I always call my order in because the website is just too confusing ... I don't think I'll call there anymore ... rudeness puts me in a bad mood. :wink2:

Another non-gusher here...I detest their website and will/can only order by phone. I think its unacceptable that you can't get an accurate shipping quote on their website. They also hassled me about some bad wick stickers and ALMOST didn't send me new ones...I had to argue around and around that the last batch I had received were defective as 8 out of 10 were coming unglued. They tried to tell me it was me...wash out the jars, pouring temp, etc. I tried to explain that I had been making candles for awhile and NOTHING HAD CHANGED in my "routine" so it had to be the stickers. After being very condescending to me they finally relented and sent me out a new roll...which worked FINE!!! All of $2.00. That left a very bad taste in my mouth. I prefer to deal with ICS who have been FLAWLESS to deal with so far.

Well I guess I'm a gusher!LOL! I have always had great CS from BCN. I did have an incident one time w/ one of my orders that I never did receive. They shipped it straight out to me(it was an error on their part) They were very prompt in fixing their error. & For the shipping charges, they always send me an invoice w/ exact totals to pay so I'm not to sure what happened there. I am sorry you had such a bad experience w/ them.

I guess I am a Gusher, too,becauseI think the customer service is great and the shipping is going up everywhere and a lot of places are not sending out USPS :cry2: but why give up something you love (FO) because of a misunderstanding, give Doneen a chance to explain what it is that upset you wouldn't you feel better than leaving it the way it is. feel .JMO

Sue Ann

I have never noticed a difference in charges from BCN and I order quite often from there. I guess I am going to go back and actually check the last few invoices from them just to make sure that what they charged is actually what I thought I was paying.

They really really REALLY need a new website. I've never experienced any ohter site as difficult. You'd really think with all the money coming in that they'd overhaul that sucker.

Other than that..I order because they're close. But I'm not a real gusher anymore.

I'll agree they do need a new website badly. If you click on scents right away you get to descriptions and nowhere to order without an easy way back.

I do order from them quite often though because of a few FO's

I just checked my last 2 invoices from them and one the order total from them shows $139.86 and my credit card was charged $136.58. Off the wrong way from what you were saying, but if they can be off one way they can easily be off the other.

How many other places have this on their invoices? "IMPORTANT: Shipping cost is a close estimate and may vary due to number and

weight of boxes. Hundredweight discounts are not applied by the shopping

cart, they will be applied by our office personnel and be reflected on your

final invoice."

You just need to realize that is how they work their shipping I guess, even though they should find a way to fix that.

They still show USPS shipping on the website :undecided

I contacted BCN about their shipping today. Their response was that for Canadians orders they would still be shipped USPS, unless the order contains fragrance oils then it has to be sent UPS. They stated they have been told by the postal office that fragrance oils can no longer be sent USPS because of the flashpoint. Hope this helps

PamF

They stated they have been told by the postal office that fragrance oils can no longer be sent USPS because of the flashpoint

This is so strange to me. My understanding was anything with a flashpoint 200 and above could ship US Priority. Anything below this would have to ship parcel post or UPS ground????? Am I confused?????:embarasse