MSM Powder

Michi

I bought some recently and made a great muscle rub cream with it. It turned out well and works great too. I had a major stiff neck a few days ago and rubbed some of it on and it really helped.

My only problem with MSM is that is has to be dissolved in water and cannot be used in oil only products. I had really wanted to incorporate it into the muscle rub that I make that uses only oils, butters and beeswax. I read that it will not dissolve.

I also read that when formulating your cream recipe, you do no add the MSM as part of your formula. You use up to 15% of your total water. If you don't do this, you will risk getting a gritty product. I used 13% MSM (of water total) and it worked great.

Ann M

Cool, so it really does help with pain then! I'm going to buy some today and play around with it.

I used 13% MSM (of water total) and it worked great.

Ok, I'm having a blonde moment I guess, but can you explain this to me, I'm confoozled!

I bought a big jug a couple years ago and put it with bath salts to make a sore foot soak with tea tree and patch EO.

What would be the ratio to use in bath salts pp? You said you used it in a foot soak can it be used for regular baths?

I make a arthritis cream w/ emu oil for my 83 yr Mother with it and it is incredible!! And yes it does work, she uses it every night on her leg and she swears by it! I also used it on my knee and it WORKED!! I could hardly get up from my chair and I rubbed it into my knee and it was no time and it was eased till almost gone and I could get up and walk. Hey, I am a pain pill person, I believe that you need something stronger than a asprin to kill the pain LOL!! You gotta try this!!

Sue Ann

Ok, I'm going to be the brave dummie here and stand up and say...what is MSM powder? :confused: I know it's probably going to be a 'duh' moment for me when i'm told, and usually I can figure it out after some time or I look for it to be spelled out in one of the posts, lol.. but I can't wrap my lil brain around what this stuff is! :embarasse

Here is the long version of what MSM is

Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM, or dimethylsulfone) is an organic sulfur compound belonging to a class of chemicals known as sulfones. It occurs naturally in some primitive plants and is present in small amounts in many foods and beverages.

MSM is also known as dimethylsulfone, or DMSO2, a name that reflects its close chemical relationship to dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO), which differs only in the oxidation state of the sulfur atom. MSM is the primary metabolite of DMSO in humans, and it shares some of the properties of DMSO.

MSM is sold as a dietary supplement that is marketed with a variety of claims and is commonly used (often in combination with glucosamine and/or chondroitin) for helping to treat or prevent osteoarthritis. Retail sales of MSM as a single ingredient in dietary supplements amounted to $115 million in 2003. However, clinical research on the medical use of the chemical in people is limited to a few pilot studies that have suggested beneficial effects.

Contents

[hide]

[edit] Effects on health

The effects of supplemental methylsulfonylmethane in biology and medicine are poorly understood. Several researchers have suggested that MSM has anti-inflammatory effects (Morton et al. 1986; Childs, 1994; Murav'ev et al., 1991). Any health effects of dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) may be mediated, at least in part, by MSM (Williams et al, 1966; Kocsis et al, 1975). Stanley W. Jacob, M.D., of the Oregon Health & Science University claims to have used MSM to treat over 18,000 patients with a variety of ailments (Jacob & Appleton, 2003).

Clinical evidence for the usefulness of MSM is limited to animal studies and four published clinical studies in humans. These pilot studies of MSM have suggested some benefits, particularly for treatment of osteoarthritis. Further studies would be needed to test the usefulness of the chemical as a medical therapy.

[edit] Evidence from clinical trials

• Osteoarthritis: After several reports that MSM helped arthritis in animal models, a double-blind, placebo-controlled study suggested that 1500 mg per day MSM (alone or in combination with glucosamine sulfate) was helpful in relieving symptoms of knee osteoarthritis (Usha and Naidu 2004). Kim et al. then conducted a double-blind clinical trial of MSM for treatment of patients with osteoarthritis of the knee. Twenty-five patients took 6 g/day MSM and 25 patients took a placebo for 12 weeks. Ten patients did not complete the study, and intent-to-treat analysis was performed. Patients who took MSM had significantly reduced pain and improved physical functioning, without major adverse events (Kim et al). No evidence of a more general anti-inflammatory effect was found, as there were no significant changes in two measures of systemic inflammation: C-reactive protein level and erythrocyte sedimentation rate. The authors cautioned that this short pilot study did not address the long-term safety and usefulness of MSM, but suggested that physicians should consider its use for certain osteoarthritis patients, and that long-term studies should be conducted (Kim et al. 2006).

• Seasonal Allergic Rhinitis: Barrager et al. evaluated the efficacy of MSM for hayfever (Barrager et al, 2002). Twenty-five subjects consumed 2,600 mg of MSM per day for 30 days, and a significant improvement in symptoms was observed compared to those taking a placebo. However, the study was not blinded. Also, no significant changes were observed in two indicators of inflammation (C-reactive protein and immunoglobulin E levels). The authors suggest that MSM is safe for short-term use and recommend that a larger, double-blind study be performed to establish its usefulness in treating symptoms of seasonal allergic rhinitis.

• Snoring: Blum & Blum conducted a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled clinical trial of an MSM-containing throat spray for snoring (Blum & Blum, 2004).

[edit] Pharmacology and toxicity

The LD50 (dose at which 50% of test subjects are killed) of MSM is greater than 17.5 grams per kilogram of body weight. In rats, no adverse events were observed after daily doses of 2 g MSM per kg of body weight. In a 90-day follow-up study rats received daily MSM doses of 1.5 g/kg, and no changes were observed in terms of symptoms, blood chemistry, or gross pathology (Horvath et al., 2002).

Nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) studies have demonstrated that oral doses of MSM are absorbed into the blood and cross the blood-brain barrier (Rose et al., 2000; Lin et al., 2001). An NMR study has also found detectable levels of MSM normally present in the blood and cerebrospinal fluid, suggesting that it derives from dietary sources, intestinal bacterial metabolism, and the body's endogenous methanethiol metabolism (Engelke et al., 2005).

The published clinical trials of MSM did not observe any serious side-effects of treatment, but there are no peer-reviewed data on the effects of long-term use in humans.

MSM is great. I also use it as part of my daily supplement (vitamin). Its very bitter so I only add 1/2 tbls to juice or something but not water. In creams, it is wonderful. But remember it is transdermal; meaning its a carrier. So whatever you add to your product know that it is also being absorbed into your body completely. So make sure you pay attention to what products you add to your creams, know the benefits or dangers.

Wow this is fascinating! I'm a massage therapy student and plan to specialize in natural pain managment. This is something I'd love to learn how to make for my clients. I'd love to make a emu MSM creme with therapeutc Essential oils. That would be great.

Wow this is fascinating! I'm a massage therapy student and plan to specialize in natural pain managment. This is something I'd love to learn how to make for my clients. I'd love to make a emu MSM creme with therapeutc Essential oils. That would be great.

This is exactly what I plan on making when I get the MSM. ;)

Well, actually I already make an emu/essential oils balm that my husband swears works like magic (hence the reason he calls it "voodoo goo" LOL)on his hip/leg/buttocks that pains him everday.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

...Wow... preservatives are pretty high on that ingredients list...

Ingredients: Water, Stearic Acid, Dimethyl Sulfone (MSM), Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Arnica Montana Flower Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Zingiber Officinale (Ginger) Root (Extract), Cetyl Alcohol, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol and Ceteareth-20, Glyceryl Stearate, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Polysorbate 80, Tocopheryl Acetate, Fragrance, Glucosamine Sulfate, Triethanolamine, Carbomer, Sodium Benzoate, Capsicum Frutescens Fruit Extract.

There are more preservatives and extracts than oils?