HELP!!! Candle scents have no or very little throw.

Hi I'm new to candle making and I've done everything I've read on the subject. I use premium wax, Heat it to 180 before I ad my scent, I ad what the package tells me(I've been using the solid type scent, which might be the problem). It says that half the 3/4oz block will scent 2 lbs of wax. I've been using twice as much, still with no throw. I've been using scent and color from Yaley(Michael's Crafts sells it). Can anyone tell me where to get some oil scents that smell after the wax hardens. Mine smell great untill they harden. Also is there anything I can do to make these smell better other than remelt them and add more scent or is that what I'm going to have to do. Any websites for get smelling scent would be a real help. I also am not good with the forum shorthand so if you could spell it out for the dummy on this end!

Many thanks.

vickimcm.

My first suggestion would be to try quality fragrance oils from a supplier. On the forums there is a section dedicated just to FOs, inside there is a link of different suppliers who carry FOs as well as many other helpful things :)

Welcome to the addiction!

I've never used the Yaley things but from what I have read their not very good. So that could be one of your problems. If you go to the fragrance discription section on this board there is a sticky at the top that gives abriviation explinations and links to many sites for fo's. It's very helpful.

Yaley stuff is really expensive for what I think is a non quality item...like someone else said...get a couple of oz of a quality fragrance oil and you should see a world of difference...there's always sales going on here in the classys for one oz ers...you should try some of them..it will make a huge difference I think. Good Luck.

I don't know anything about the scent blocks, but do know that adding too much fragrance to your wax can actually lock it up and clog the wick. More is not always better. You also need to use a quality wax and I'm not sure about the craft store waxes.

I only use quality liquid fo at 1oz per lb...if it doesn't have a good cold and hot throw at that amount I reject it for my line. FO is much too expensive to waste using more if you can get good results with 1oz. So far my fave fo suppliers are The Candle Source, Millcreek and Nature's Garden. I've also heard many raves about Peaks and will be placing an order with them soon.

I don't know anything about the scent blocks, but do know that adding too much fragrance to your wax can actually lock it up and clog the wick. More is not always better. You also need to use a quality wax and I'm not sure about the craft store waxes.

I only use quality liquid fo at 1oz per lb...if it doesn't have a good cold and hot throw at that amount I reject it for my line. FO is much too expensive to waste using more if you can get good results with 1oz. So far my fave fo suppliers are The Candle Source, Millcreek and Nature's Garden. I've also heard many raves about Peaks and will be placing an order with them soon.

Peaks has good oils in my opinion, I have quite a few of theirs in my line. Bittercreek is another I love to get my FOs through.

To the original poster...as long as you are using a good wax, you will be surprised at how good your new oils you just ordered smell and work for you. What kind of wax are you using? I use 4630 as well as 415 soy and I get great results from both of these.

Hi i might have a suggestion for you if you are using the wax from the craft store i would stop! I bought a couple slabs of wax from Michaels and had the worst scent throw ever!! I will never use their wax again, but i switched and got some wax online from Bittercreek North for votives or 4794 and it was wonderful!! What was a plus for me was that they except pay pal because i refuse to use my credit card for non emergency issues! Hope this helps. Shareen

Many years ago now I tried my hand at paraffin candles. I bought my supplies at Michaels, and then I decided to order directly from Yaley. They didn't have a website then, but they do now. You can get their products MUCH cheaper ordering directly from them at wholesale rates if you order a minimum amount. I can't remember, but it was either $50 or $100. May have changed by now... They offered great technical support(even calling me back the same day when no one was available when I called), and they sent me free replacements(can't remember if it was dye or scent)when the technical person told me I had ordered the wrong form(solid vs. liquid) for the wax I had purchased. I can personally tell you there is a huge difference between their products I purchased from Michaels and the ones I ordered directly from them.

I know alot of people on here have a bad opinion of them because of the prices and quality of their items purchased from Michaels, but you might want to give them a try directly. I'm sure you'd see a difference. And if you live in the west, they are located in CA, so the shipping isn't all that bad either.